Topic Options
#65574 - 05/10/05 10:52 PM Silkie laying invisible eggs
Hopenfox Offline
Bantam

Loc: Australia
After beginning her laying career last year, laying 4 clutches of perfect eggs, raising a family, and laying another clutch, one of my silkie hens decided to skip the laying part and just spend an hour on the nest every morning for the average time it took to make up a clutch (approx. two weeks). She then went broody and successfully hatched out a nest of eggs from another hen and is now busy raising them. I know she was faking it because when laying actual eggs she only laid every second day and at slightly later times each day. During the pretend laying she was in the nest every day at the same early hour. I'm confident she hasn't become an egg eater or a layer of soft shell-eggs, since there was no evidence of egg in the nest. Any ideas as to why this happened? I'm hoping her next clutch will be real!

#65575 - 05/11/05 08:04 AM Re: Silkie laying invisible eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
For unknown reason, she is not ovulating, but the hormone level, still must indicate to her, that she has laid an egg--and she is going through the rest of the cycle. While 4 clutches in one year is not so unusual for some Silkies, it was quite a "drain" on her system. She can't help it, of course, and as long as she remains active and stays in good flesh, there is nothing you can do to change things. Good luck, CJR

#65576 - 05/14/05 02:48 AM Re: Silkie laying invisible eggs
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Those darn Silkies are in Momma mode all the time. I spent most of the winter kicking mine off the nest. I swear they will mother anything they can get their little butts on. :rolleyes: If ya lose something just look under a Silkie.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn