Topic Options
#65612 - 10/20/05 07:40 PM wondering about hatchery sexing
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
TWice from the same hatchery I have ordered two batches of unsexed chicks. These particular breeds only come unsexed.

It is said there is about a 50/50 split between hens and roos in a hatch. That has NOT been the case with my hatchery chicks. Of 5 black australorps, every one was a rooster. Of 10 dark brahmas 7 were roosters. Of 10 speckled sussex, 6 were roosters.

This bad luck with more roosters than hens seems too consistent to actually be bad luck and I wonder if I'm not getting a bum deal. Does anyone think that the hatcheries know more about who is a boy and who is a girl and throw extra boys in when they think the consumer is too dumb to suspect something?

I keep hoping for some lovely hens and end up with all these squawky, gangly boys that I lug off to the auction. I'm beginning to feel cheated. Am I just being paranoid?

#65613 - 10/20/05 07:47 PM Re: wondering about hatchery sexing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just think you just had bad luck. If you want to make sure you get pullets it would be easier and less headache to just pay the difference and buy all pullets.

#65614 - 10/20/05 07:59 PM Re: wondering about hatchery sexing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try another Hatchery were you can get those breeds as sexed Chicks.

I find it worth it to pay a little more to get what I want rather then pay a little less and get half and half.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn