Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#65663 - 02/10/06 09:22 AM Re: Isn't this NAIS unconstitutional?
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
>>>>>Uneducated consumers, the very people we work to feed, may well turn out to be our worst enemy in this.

you hit the nail on the head. I've been saying this for a while now, and mostly unheard, but the solution to our who problem is to educate people about what makes a food supply healthy. The people we feed ARE the voters and unlike the politicians, they have an agenda we can work with. If those voters become aware of the truth regarding the safe future of their food supply, they WILL be on our side. We provide healtheir food than the factories (who are protected by the incoming laws). If we are left unchecked in providing the healthier food, the factories will eventually have to start supplying healthier food.

JUst think, .... what if ALL eggs sold in america came from hens fed 10% flax seed. THe drop in heart attacks alone would be staggering. Now let's say they were able to remove "grain fed" from our beef and dairy supply, replacing it with "100% grass fed", the drop in american cancer cases would be staggering. Americans would also get to enjoy a reduction in obesity, dementia, and other common ailments. It wouldn't be that hard to do, the feedlots would just have to adjust from feeding grain in the feedlots to hay, haylage, alfalfa, etc.

The above are two simple steps the factories could do to improve the health of america's food supply. Without the natural pasture farmers providing options, competition, and education, where is the pressure for the factories to change going to come from? By protecting our rights to freely raise poultry, we are protecting the amercan voters from an unhealthy food supply. IN doing so, we will save millions.

OK, the conclusion needs work, buy you get the drift. Fight the battle where it can be won. Turn our potentially worst enemies into our strongest assets and allies.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#65664 - 02/10/06 07:27 PM Re: Isn't this NAIS unconstitutional?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

BC Breeder:

On the surface, this NAIS proposal seems innocent enough. THey simply want to know who has what animals ,where. What's the harm in knowing? And the food eating public agrees, yes, what's the harm in knowing?

Then, NAIS simply want registration and full disclosure and access too, just to keep American consumers safe. And the food eaters of America agree, yes, we like to have safe food.

But here is where the evil of unchecked Government shows its ugly face. It will listen to money. Remember this : money talks. And the huge, industrial producer will claim that his livelihood is threatened by the existence of so many, small, (probably diseased ) poultry at random in the country, that the Govt, for the love of money, will stamp out the rights of its citizens. Not outright, no, no, no, that would never do. Sneakily, bit by bit, by the outrageous cost of registering 6 pitiful chickens that give you six measley eggs a day. And we will look at the cost and say, forget it, these six hens aren't worth the hassle and cost. Bingo! The Govt wins! And so do the industrial producers.

But who loses? The very citizens who wanted to be safe. They are not safe, they are IMPRISONED. When all your choices have been taken away, even if for your own good, they are still GONE. When you have no free choice, you are not a free person.

I would be writing letters. I'd be making stuff up. I would say that my name is Dr. Omelletemaker, and I have conducted extensive studies on the cost of food where the Govt institutes such gross invasion of the farmer. I would say, for example, in the country of Moldahavia, the price of eggs went up 500%. The Moldahavians now have to save money for two weeks to buy a dozen eggs. There has been a rise in childhood diseases associated with reduced egg consumption. It is a well know fact that children who do not eat enough eggs get ringworm more frequently, and are more likely to have their teeth drop out of their heads.

I, as Dr. Omelletemaker, would warn America that they will most likely be toothless and covered in ringworm in about 15 years time. Why? Once the only people with a hen are the big producers, they will charge whatever they want for eggs, and like the Moldahavians, the average American will no longer be able to afford them. This is a well know fact. You can look it up for yourself at the very comprehensive website www.don\'tyoubelieveit.com This will be the final outcome of the NAIS.

For those of you not prone to bits of fiction in the editorial page, forgive me. But people believe what they read in a newspaper! Convince them that this will not make them safe, but POOR and you may get the action from the consumer that you need. (remember, money talks)

As BC Breeder so aptly points out, without diversity in the system, however small, there is no better standard the large food producers have to strive for. At this point it does not seem that the NAIS is trying to obliterate backyard hens, or non-quota egg/fryer sales. BUT...the thin edge of the wedge, my friends, the thin edge of the wedge. frown

The above website does NOT exist. If it does, I have no idea what it might be. I made it up. That's the point.

#65665 - 02/11/06 11:09 AM Re: Isn't this NAIS unconstitutional?
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

You are preaching to the choir UNO.

Get the public educated about the agenda of the factories to deny access to healthier foods and then they will be more receptive to our perspective of the NAIS program, avian influenza hype, etc. Or any other governemnt plans to limit poultry in the name of safety.

As a fellow Canadian, I will tell you that I know how to win this. I am willing to dedicate my future free time to the cause. I know that we have no real or effective leadership options before us that can win this. Therefore, I'm willing to step up and help formulate such leadership on a national level. I know it will take a collaborative effort involving a wide array of national organizations such Rare Breeds Canada, 4H, Natural Pastured Poultry, APA/ABA, etc.

But I can't do it alone. I do need help and support in getting the ball rolling. This is a turning point in our right to access healthier food options, and freely keep poultry. It's up to all of us to decide which path we take.

bcbreeder@lycos.com

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn