Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65753 - 03/14/06 04:06 PM Bird Flu in USA?
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
Hey everyone, I just got a letter from my friend in Washington state saying that they cancelled the 4-H poultry show because of the bird flu! She also says she doesn't know if Washington state will have any poultry shows this year! Is this true? It's starting to scare me and don't want the goverment taking my birds! Ok any advice on this matter would be great because I don't know much about it. Is this a politicial thing like some say or is it really coming? I also read that it would hit Alaska first in some news paper today. I'm getting new chickens this spring and plan on building a new coop... Is there any tips for keeping safe? Thanks,

#65754 - 03/14/06 04:20 PM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Dont panic! remain calm, get informed. There may come a time when you will need to take some action, not yet. There is not a lot to be done, maybe keeping the birds under a roof?

#65755 - 03/14/06 04:25 PM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

I thought about keeping them indoors but then they can't be a chicken... Yeah a roof sounds like a good idea so the can be outside but still be protected. My friends are allready taking action though! They reduced there flock size and are not buying anymore birds. Anyone else have info?

#65756 - 03/14/06 05:15 PM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Chickens can be chickens kept indoors While mine are outside during the mid part of the day--in summer when it isn't raining, they are not outside all winter--a long time in the mountains of the North. They have plenty of room, several levels of roosts to fly up to for excercise, windows with sunshine--when there is some, a dry shavings covered floor to dust and scratch in. Too many birds is a different matter! Crowded is unhealthy at any time.

Please know that there has been Avian Flu in the U.S, for many years--but NOT the Asian Avian Flu that we are being frightened about. In WA, it is a precaution that probably is not warranted at all. (just Politically correct)Just keep heads up about the best care of your birds--Under a roof is not "indoors"--so it is wise to make plans. A country without chickens would starve to death. It won't happen. CJR

#65757 - 03/14/06 10:09 PM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Thanks everyone! I'm not worried my friends are... And they kept telling me things like I should't buy chickens now, get rid of some of your birds, keep them indoors etc. They are in Washington I'm in Colorado... I didn't really know what it was. So I'm not going to worry about this anymore and just keep doing what I'm doing with my chickens. I agree with mabtera "if my flock were found to have the diease.. i would personally help them destroy my birds.. love them all i do .. but.. i also love humans a bit more". I just wanted to make sure they were not going to just take birds without knowing they had the flu. I guess I just wont worry about this now, maybe in the future(if it ever gets serios). And yes chickens can be chickens indoors but I like giving mine a little freedom during the day. Thanks again,

#65758 - 03/15/06 07:04 AM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
The first response to a new germ is usually to try and erradicate it by killing all the hosts (suseptable species) that can allow it to spread. Once the germs become endemic to an area, like Asia is now, erradication may not work. People then look at vaccination to limit spread. Market confidence may fall as folks won't want to eat vaccinated birds at first. If this proves to be unfounded, folks start eating birds (chcikens) again and vaccination becomes a way of life. At some point, the germ reaches equilibrium in the bird population with most birds immune. The problem now is that the stakes are higher....humans can die. One side bar: one percent of healthy birds in wet markets in somewhere in Asia are infected with H5N1 high pathogenic. (OIE) The human exposure may be higher than previously thought. If this is true, then it may not be a deadly as thought....and some folks are testing positive for antibodies too. It still boils down to keep a watch on the situation, and if the bird flu is in your area, keep your birds inside...and used stored bedding, and wash your shoes before going in the barn...bird flu is "inactivated in an acidic medium" which may translate in plain language to use a vinegar foot bath. I remember vinegar being used in the foot bath at the airport here when foot and mouth was in Britain and we were servicing flights from there. it might mean a little vinegar in the water as you fill the founts might slow the spread too...pure guess on my part, though.

#65759 - 03/15/06 09:53 AM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Greta S. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: California
I think the subject of Asian Avian Flu has been inflated considerably by the media. True, it could be a major threat to the health of our birds, but I'm not about to panic or anything. Once it gets the the United States, I'll take some extra precautions to protect my birds. Until then, I'm just going to watch and see what happens. It might just peter out and die, so to speak, before it gets here.

#65760 - 03/15/06 10:39 AM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Yeah, the media is getting really overbord with the whole thing! I hate seeing the poor chickens that are getting killed on the news... It's for the best but I think they are sending the wrong message to the public.

#65761 - 03/15/06 05:01 PM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
Blackdotte Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
Media hype,just two examples in Australia
1.TV news item,if AI(bird form) gets to Australia 214000 people will die.
2 TV promotion ad for a show about 1916 Spanish flu,if AI mutates to a human form 2 billion people,a third of the Earth's population,will die.
Scare mongering for ratings!

#65762 - 03/16/06 10:21 AM Re: Bird Flu in USA?
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
It's not just the media. Here are some quotes from some government officials and researchers.

"Let me acknowledge that no one in the world is prepared for a pandemic. When you go to the store and buy three cans of tuna fish, buy a fourth and put it under the bed. When you go to the store to buy some milk, pick up a box of powdered milk. Put it under the bed. When you do that for a period of four to six months, you are going to have a couple of weeks of food, and that's what we're talking about."
--Mike Leavitt, HHS Secretary (US)

"A mild pandemic would infect an estimated 75 million Americans, kill 100,000 of them . . . A severe outbreak would sicken 90 million, lead to 2 million deaths." [that's people, not chickens]

-- (US) Congressional Budget Office, December 2005.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn