Topic Options
#65822 - 12/01/05 09:00 AM Keeping birds that fly
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to keep Guineas or peacocks, but I don't want to let them free range. My neighbors have had free range birds and they all end up roadkill. I have an area 150' X 150' fenced for chickens and goats. The fence is 7 feet high (4 feet chain link with 3 feet chicken wire on top). With electric wire on the outside at the bottom and top. But peafowl and guineas can fly over. How can I keep them in? Clip their wings? Also if they roost on the electric wire and touch the fence would the 6,000 volts kill them?

#65823 - 12/01/05 09:03 AM Re: Keeping birds that fly
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Clipping their wings is the easiest way to do it. But, only clip one wing, otherwise you could accidentally get them even and provide the bird enough balance to get up there. Wow...that's alot of voltage..but if they only touch it, it shouldn't kill them. Watch out for singed feathers though! Just kidding.

#65824 - 12/01/05 11:20 AM Re: Keeping birds that fly
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
I agree that clipping wings is easiest. Just curious though what those birds were doing on the road? We had one get hit but she made a nest in the ditch across the road, otherwise they pretty much stay home. Is there something attractive there or is home not attractive enough? Just thinking you might be able to keep yours home without a fence. I realize though everyone's situation is different, we have been very lucky. A brief electricity lesson, the volts is just potential, you need to know the amps. Think of a full water tower that you want to empty, there is potential for a flood or you can empty it by trickling the water out. Amps is all the water in the tower, volts is the trickle or the flood. That said, if they touch the fence when not touching anything else they won't get shocked (they aren't grounded). If they are grounded and touch it they will get shocked and if it's a traditional fencer the longer they touch it the more juice they get. I'm not so sure they'd feel much through feathers, I've hit our horse fence with a sleeved arm and sure knew it but through my coat I never felt it. That's a long answer to a "simple" question" but I always like to have all the info before I make a decision, even if it's a one-in-a-million thing.

#65825 - 12/01/05 11:55 AM Re: Keeping birds that fly
Anonymous
Unregistered

The neighbor had 6 guineas and they would ramble around the area, of course crossing the road periodically. Their house was about 300 ft. off the road. They lasted about 4 months. Why they liked the road area, they never said.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn