Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66148 - 11/30/06 08:42 AM Ducks and Chickens
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
Does anyone here raise both? Can I raise both together and have a happy little family? I have 22 birds (19 hens, 3 roosters). I was thinkin' this spring maybe getting a couple of ducks, just to have running around. Do ducks eat different food than chickens and can the eat each others food? Do I have to keep them seperate or can they mingle? I don't have a pond, but heard a little kiddie pool is enough- what do ducks do in the winter? laugh Thanks in advance for all your help.

#66149 - 11/30/06 08:02 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't mix them... I raise both but in separate pens. If they are free-range then you can go ahead and get them but if you want to put them in the same pen with chickens then don't do it. Ducks require a different diet than chickens do. A kiddie pool is fine if all you are getting is a pair.

#66150 - 12/01/06 09:05 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Alisha in CA Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
All mine free range together and seem to just ignore each other. My ducks are domestic breeds though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Since everyone free ranges I just feed them chicken food too. It was impossible to keep them from each others food.

Also, for a pool I was using a kiddie pool for a while. That seemed okay, they just had difficulty getting in and out. I was thinking a ramp would make things easier. Now, I'm digging them a small pond. Presently, it is pretty much a mud hole because I have to soften our dirt so that I can dig it, but the ducks love it!

The ducks do poop in the water, so it's not good for the chickens to drink it. That can be a problem. The ducks want to climb into any water they see and then they make a mess and knock the water everywhere. Most people don't keep ducks and chickens together for that reason. Chickens need to stay dry and ducks need water that is at least deep enough to put their entire bill into or else they can choke to death.

I have no idea what to do about ducks in the winter. It's barely gotten down to freezing here. The ducks run right into the water in the mornings though! Burrrrr!

[img]http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/Album...331/t_=50036331[/img]

#66151 - 12/01/06 02:13 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Starbucks,

Letting ducks and chickens free-range together works fine for us. The pins (Indian Runner Ducks) are where the water is and the birds (Brahmas) are where itīs dry.

We use different coops, though. This is important because water + ducks = total mess;-) And because ducks are resistant against e.g. cocci and can carry the illness and then the birds get it from the ducks. Ducks and chickens in the same coop is not a good idea, it even is prohibited in Germany, no kidding. (I bet they have laws against and for everything, hehehe)

Our pins eat chicken-food too but we provide them extra duck-food also because they have somewhat different requirements (because they are different species).

Quote:

what do ducks do in the winter?
Well, take a look: http://www.krassesrudel.at/page2.shtml#convoy . Scroll up on our site and youīll see the pins the very first time they experienced snow: they were speechless;-)

Direct-links to the clips in case the link above doesnīt work: http://www.krassesrudel.at/pins/pinsconvoyisdn.wmv (dial-up) and http://www.krassesrudel.at/pins/pinsconvoyklein.wmv (DSL/cable).

Best greetings,

Joachim

PS: Alisha, this is the link to your pic that doesnīt showe up in your posting above: http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/Album...331/t_=50036331

You have to click it and then the picture-link is kinda "generated" and therefore you cannot share the picture-link as easy as one might wish;-) If you want to share a pic in The Coop itīs adress must end at either .GIF or .JPG (i think).

#66152 - 12/01/06 05:29 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Alisha in CA Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
Thanks, I wasn't sure if that worked or not.

#66153 - 12/02/06 04:59 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Don't know how they'd do confined, but all my species free range together.

Ducks don't need to swim. Some just keep a bucket or two of water for the ducks to dunk in during the warm months.

Ducks need deep drinking water containers to be able to dunk their head in to wash out their nares (nostrils).

#66154 - 12/02/06 07:48 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hello Rogo16,

Quote:
Ducks don't need to swim.
Hhhmm, then why do they have fat-glands? I thought ducks were waterfowl...

confused greetings,

Joachim

#66155 - 12/02/06 09:38 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
My waterfowl all do perfectly fine with buckets for water. I do have a small plastic mortar mixing tub(approx. 25 gallons) which I fill with water once in a while for them.
My chickens and waterfowl forage together but I would never house them together, for sanitary reasons alone its a bad idea.

#66156 - 12/02/06 01:10 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not just sanitary reasons that you shouldn't house them together... I can't stress enough that they are completely DIFFERENT species and therefore need COMPLETELY DIFFERENT enclosures... Also to those of you that are feeding waterfowl a chicken's diet, they may be living but it doesn't mean that they are anywhere near thriving. That would be like a person eating nothing but junk food and saying "well I'm alive" but the person wouldn't be thriving. It is okay for them to free-range together but housing together is just ignorant. Make sure you feed them what they need to be fed and not just something that will keep them alive for a while... Do lots of research on the species you are interested in and make SURE they are getting the right diet.

#66157 - 12/02/06 01:47 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

i keep muscovies cooped with my chickens 5 of them .there 6 yrs old now i feed them greens lettuce etc corn and whatever the chickens eat.muscovies have no oil glands unlike other ducks

#66158 - 12/02/06 03:40 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

I believe the public has been brainwashed into buying commercial feed. It's a big business. I've read that poultry will do well on just about any menu and from what I've seen I believe it.

I, like many, don't feed commercial feed. All species get the same menu. Hens lay and hatch for years.

I've purchased birds from a local hatchery that feeds similar to how I do.

I don't have a coop. My free ranging flock all roost together at night in a pen of chainlink panels partially covered with tarps.
(Ducks are Muscovies, so they too roost.) I've never had a sick bird.

#66159 - 12/02/06 04:03 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Depends on whats expected of the animals. Not everyone has the knowledge of properly feeding a whole grain diet; not everyone has the ability to locate all the needed grains and supplements. We fed high performance chickens a mostly whole grain diet witth a great success.
For most its more efficient to purchase ready made feeds. I now use different feeds for different times of the year and different results.
For best results, waterfowl and land fowl require different feeds.
Layer feed is formulated to make the most eggs at the least cost per egg. Its not designed for egg and chick health not longevity. Most layers dont see their 3rd birthday.

Rogo, your management is not typical, your aniamls heve space and probably drier conditions than a lot of others.?? I dont see my management as typical either. I pretty much manage my chickens as the pheasants and amm not looking for production but place my importance otherwise. I do feed a lot of whole grains and veggies/fruit also.

#66160 - 12/02/06 05:35 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hello again,

have to support Josephk here: well said!

I canīt believe the ignorance of some posters here. Sorry for my rude typo, but this is a simple question of RESPECT towards the animal, dammit! Itīs not a question of "whats expected of the animals", but of course iīve read enough here from rob not to be surprised by this answer;-( Seems someone here is searching for excuses...

I also donīt see any "management" at all by rogo16 just by beeing too ignorant/lazy/whatever to take proper care for his animals;-(

Again, sorry for my rude typo but this had to be said!

I fully understand when this thread is being closed now, but someone here has to speak up for the animals. I mean after all it THEM for/because of whom weīre all here, arenīt we? "Ducks donīt need to swim", oh man, what an animal-despising opinion...

Sad and disappointed greetings,

Joachim

#66161 - 12/03/06 07:33 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

joachim,
not sure what your problem is here? Whats your need to get personal about, just a cheap shot?
My animals all get pretty darn good care, I know what I am doing and have been breeding animals all my life, good animals with good care. I am realistic in my management methods, and feel my skills have been honed over the years. I have had many positive compliments regarding my skills as an animal breeder and manager.
I too agree with what Joseph has said, I fail to understand what your problem is with my post?.

Any further discussion would be better treated by private mail

#66162 - 12/03/06 04:05 PM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

No two feed/tend the same. We all do what works for us. If I reach my bottom line and success for years with the program I'm using, I don't understand how it could be said that I'm doing things wrong!

Folks ask for advice on these forums. We post our experiences. If you don't agree, it doesn't mean we're wrong.

#66163 - 12/04/06 07:20 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hello again,

hehehehe, sure;-)

See, thatīs the problem here, you donīt argue but only defend yourself, and thatīs for both of you smart and experienced, guys;-) Regardless of what one expects from ducks itīs an arrogant point of view stating ducks donīt need to swim. Simple as that!

Ducks (well, most of them, uh?) are WATERfowl. Guess why? Who on earth gives you the right to decide that your ducks donīt need to swim?!? Itīs in their nature, is this so hard to understand?

I scrolled up to see my first answer to rogoīs ignorant posting. Well, it wasnīt rude at all but a simple, neutral question giving rogo and rob the chance to explain why they think ducks donīt need to swim. But instead of arguing all he and rob did was telling everybody how good they do as breeders and how healthy their birds are....

Joachim

#66164 - 12/04/06 07:24 AM Re: Ducks and Chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joachim, it's okay to debate topics here, as we all have different views and management styles, but we don't need to debate about actual posters. Everybody here contributes a great deal when they offer their experiences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn