Topic Options
#66180 - 05/01/04 07:15 PM key west game chickens
Key West Chick Offline
Feather

Loc: Georgia
Been reading several posts here tonight and learned many of you know about the wild game chickens of key west.Being born there,I just had to bring some"home" with me when I left years ago.Embarrassingly enough, I know very little about the history of my babies. I have 9 now but get more every summer.

#66181 - 05/14/04 06:05 AM Re: key west game chickens
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi KW Chick,
Sorry, I didn't see this post before now. I happen to have a passion for these little beasties!! I don't know how long ago you left but here is an article about what they're up to. They are getting TONS of grief over it now and ANY voice for the chickens will be helpful to them!!! They (The Chicken Store folks) have made a new shirt available called "CUR" it stands for "chicken underground railroad" for the rescue effort of the chicks left abandoned after they snatch the adults!!! You see, they get no compensation for the chicks so they LEAVE THEM!! eek mad sadly to many KNOWN and UNKNOWN fates. Because you are from there I assume you know of "The Chicken Store" but if not go to their site and see whats available.!!!
SO MUCH of the proceeds go towards the rescue, care and re-location to good places!!! not to farms on "undisclosed places in south FL".
They have even set some kind of morotorium on the birds LEAVING Key West at all!! Something about being too close to CUBA???? confused
It now has gotten in the way of Katha from "The Chicken Store" from relocating and placing rescued birds!! They want to force her to turn over all birds to them!! NO WAY!
Anyways, if you do a search on google for Key West Chickens you will get dozens of hits. laugh
The Miami Herald has done several real good articles.
BTW...One of my westie hens is hatching peafowl eggs as we speak!! 3 out & 3 pipping!!
Sally

#66182 - 05/14/04 10:01 AM Re: key west game chickens
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Good Goddess, Sally!! Do these people think that the chickens are Cubans in chicken suits??! How stupid is that?!! If these were cats or dogs there wouldn't be a problem would there? mad

#66183 - 05/15/04 06:19 AM Re: key west game chickens
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I don't get it either, Spotted Crow. frown I have offered sanction to ALL they need re-located. I was told NONE would be allowed to leave the Keys at any time for any reason!! They are now supposedly taking them to another island in the keys...undisclosed "of course" mad
and as to the cats:There ARE hundreds, if not more, of feral cats on the island. They are cared for and protected, to my knowledge, by private citizens AND a program on the island to assist the spaying, neutering and their shots. And I'm sure if someone wants to adopt any of them it's quite fine!!! They just TAKE them. The deal with the chickens is that the fella getting PAID to catch them gets paid for all he turns in!!! If
it is so why isn't the farm they go to available for the media and anyone involved to "view" them running around, eating bugs and literally in 7th heaven? And for crying out loud....I hate it when they try to use that "we want our privacy"
excuse!!! Mine are here, in all their glory!! COME SEE!!
Sorry folks....It just sticks in my craw!!!
Sally

#66184 - 05/21/04 03:26 PM Re: key west game chickens
Key West Chick Offline
Feather

Loc: Georgia
I would like to see them try to stop me from catching my yearly chichen fix.I went to school with the almost chief of police and she tells me I can get as many as I can catch. laugh I'm not going this year but if I could...Anyway there is a man who is catching them and is supposedly taking them to a farm in Tampa,sounds like a pain in the but over some wild chickens and makes me wonder where they are really going.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn