Topic Options
#66426 - 06/05/08 10:05 AM Cockerel and broody hen
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

Loc: Oregon
Why is my 3 month old bantam sultan cockerel wanting to be in the nest box w/ my bantam cochin broody hen? The nest box is about 3 feet off the ground & he's the only cockerel able to get on the roost in front of the box. I went in after dark & he was all nestled in w/ the hen towards the back of the nest box. The last time he did it there must have been a scuffel since one of the eggs fell out & cracked. I put up a metal grate so he can't get in. I have the one setting hen & all the others are 3 month old bantam cockerels and hens ordered from Mcmurray's. The sultan has a mate w/ a hurt foot...he is the only cockerel crowing & seems to look out for the flock. Thanks for all your help.

#66427 - 06/06/08 06:19 AM Re: Cockerel and broody hen
Caladenia Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
roosters often have a nurturing side, and can be seen making a nest for the hen and hoping in and crooing to her while she lays an egg. its just the sign of a very nurturing bird who does a good job of looking after his flock.

oops just saw that is with a broody hen. sorry.

maybe she is one he is particularly attached to, she wasn't his foster mum byh any chance, or did he have a cochin bantam foster mum?

#66428 - 06/06/08 10:57 AM Re: Cockerel and broody hen
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

I had the bantam cochin hen (1 year old) and then ordered 2 sultans, 3 frizzles & 2 silkies, all bantams. When I introduced them to the coop w/ the hen she wasn't mean to them but wouldn't have anything to do w/ them and would kind of charge at them. When she came near them they'd scurry. They enjoyed having her "gone" in her nest box so they could be carefree. But then the cockerel got bigger and was able to get on the roost & during the night would get in her box. The hen's chick should be born this coming Monday. The cockerel gets on the roost & stands right in front of her grated nest box. He's tried to get in but can't figure out the wired door smile . He is the only one that is crowing & really seems to take care of the flock. That's cute to think of a rooster making a nest for a hen. Thanks for replying.

#66429 - 06/06/08 11:51 AM Re: Cockerel and broody hen
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You may not understand that he is "growing up". A hen is most fertile right after she has laid her egg each day--and instinctively, he is waiting his chance for a mating when she leaves the nest. Climbing in the nest is a gesture, encouraging a hen to lay an egg! Cute, but with a natural plan of action, when the time is right! He may not be "ready" for the final part of the scenario, but soon, he WILL! CJR

#66430 - 06/06/08 11:22 PM Re: Cockerel and broody hen
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

He does seem much more "mature" than the others and bigger. It's 11:10pm and he was just crowing. I have a heat lamp in the coop since it's been getting chilly here at night...in the 30's. When I went out to the coop he was in the nest box next to the hen's. I have been putting food & water in the nest box for mama but her food dish wasn't there. I opened up the grate & she had put the dish of food under her w/ the egg! When I went to the coop this morning she wanted out of the box (first time) & so I let her out & she relieved herself (very big smelly poo). She enjoyed being out & giving herself a dust bath but went back into her box...she is the sweetest hen. She lets me take the egg and candle it etc. w/out ever any fuss. When she was out today w/ the sultan rooster and the others they were weary of her...but she paid no attention to them. Would mama be putting the food under her for the chick when it arrives? She's never done it before. Thanks!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn