Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66493 - 01/01/08 01:05 AM Keeping Records
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
For those of you who routinely keep production records, here is a copy of my totals for the last three years.

I have finished this year on a good note, having kept two nice SLW pullets from spring hatching 2006, and culling a couple of hens that were not so great. The statistics are also better because there was one less hen out of production this spring/summer due to broodiness. One hen with chicks has been out of production for 7 weeks to end of December, and another for the last ten days, so I can safely say the hens are laying better than last year and some of them are now in their third season.

Production for 2005 (yellow) = 793, 2006 (blue) = 769, and 2007 (green) = 1045

#66494 - 01/01/08 01:38 AM Re: Keeping Records
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Foehn,

interesting to see someone elses numbers, thanks! Say, how many hens did lay those eggs?

On a sidenote: your pic doesnīt work, maybe you can remove the space in the name of the file so it can be (hopefully) displayed here? It should be "seasonscomparisons.jpg" instead of "Seasons Comparisons.JPG". What do the colors yellow, blue and green mean, the years?

Best greetings,

Joachim

#66495 - 01/01/08 02:06 AM Re: Keeping Records
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Joachim, I'm a bit confused. If you can see the colours yellow, blue, green, doesn't that mean you can see the picture? There isn't a space in the url on my thread starter screen. It has %20 in there which I presume is part of the url. First time I have tried posting this way. For those who can't see it, I'll do it the other way.
My chart refers to 8 layers, 4 of which are 4 years old and in 3rd season of lay, 2 which are 3yrs old and in 2nd season and the other 2 are just pullets in first year of lay. The pale blue for january is the 5 eggs layed today.
Production chart Disregard this link if you can see the picture above.

#66496 - 01/01/08 03:30 AM Re: Keeping Records
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Foehn,

I was confused, too!LOL! I couldnīt see your pic, so I copied the link into another browser window and after retyping the filename I got it displayed, strange. I know that "the computer" puts in %20, eitherway thanks for the additional info! Only 8 hens? We had about the same eggs like you with 25 hens, cool!LOL! Interesting data, thanks again and

best greetings,

Joachim

PS: Interesting, I still canīt see your pic here, BTW. But thatīs okay, nothing to worry! I copied it to my harddisk already;-)

#66497 - 01/02/08 09:00 AM Re: Keeping Records
Lifelong Learner Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Wow, Foehn,

I am especially encouraged that your birds are several years old. I read so often that people cull their birds when their laying drops off at 1 1/2 years.

I notice that your 2005 chart doesn't start until a few months into the year. Is that when you first got chickens or just when you first started keeping track?

--Angelle

#66498 - 01/02/08 12:30 PM Re: Keeping Records
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Angelle, you are quite right to note the March start to 2005. I started again with a group of 6 pullets secured in January of 2005, after some years without hens. Two of these I traded in August, as they are poor layers and went clucky early. They went on to become foster mums. The replacements were not so great either but were better, however I culled these two in 2006, when I knew I had 2 SLW pullets from those I reared. These 2 SLW girls began laying in July 2007.

I believe production birds can fizzle out after a short while, as they are bred to produce so much, I think they simply wear out, but good quality birds will endure for a long time. I expect to get many more years out of my current girls.

A few lifetime statistics from my oldest girls are:Little Nasty=387, Blackie=448, and Lenora (hen the vet diagnosed with Lymphoid Leukosis in November 2006 (not expected to live)) is still going strong at 474. She's a heart break really because she is by far my best layer, but I can't breed with her as she will pass the leukosis on, and I don't want it in any offspring. The vet injected her tumour (It was as big as a goose-egg) and it has disappeared. Fingers crossed on this one!

#66499 - 01/02/08 03:15 PM Re: Keeping Records
Upback Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Maine
Well, this inspired me. We've never kept records before and what a good idea. And it just so happens today we got our first egg of the year, a duck egg, so let the record keeping begin!

#66500 - 01/02/08 08:27 PM Re: Keeping Records
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Here's a little more data collated today.
It doesn't tally with the first chart because I found some egg totals for 2007 I hadn't included, so, I actually did a lot better than first thought ending the year with 1107 eggs. Notice the poor performance of Pickle, the RIR who has been the subject of other discussions on these pages.

However despite the fact she is so poor a layer, she is an extremely good mother, will take any chicks I put her way and when they are reared, they are extremely quiet because she is too. For this reason I will continue to "carry" her.

The other lower totals (under 100) for 2006 are because all those hens took time out raising chicks.
[img]http://lh3.google.com/Adjiduhmo/R3xhOMT2DBI/AAAAAAAAAVA/xcvDFp6jrMA/IndividualTotals.JPG?imgmax=576[/img]

#66501 - 07/12/08 08:23 AM Re: Keeping Records
Head 'em Up Offline
Chick

Loc: Illinois
Foehn
Are you using trap nests to record your hens production?

#66502 - 07/12/08 03:08 PM Re: Keeping Records
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

No, no trapnests. With only 10 hens, I know which hen lays each egg, due to colour and size and where they lay. Although there are only 8 hens on the above chart, I have 2, 8 month old pullets now producing also. I will update my chart at the end of the year to show all production for 2008.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn