Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66527 - 11/20/03 10:39 AM Automatic Hen Door Opener
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want one of these very badly and lack the skills to make my own and hubby doesn't have the time. Well after a few hours searching the net I think I have found the answer. Its a drapery opener (just the machine not the whole track) from smarthome.com for about 89.00US. Can be set up on timer and distance of draw can be adjusted. Just have to set-up your pull cord like a pull cord for drapes. While still expensive it is a solution. Now I just have to find one in canada.

#66528 - 11/20/03 11:20 AM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Larissa Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Oregon
You're awesome!

That is a great idea. I have been racking my brain for three weeks trying to come up with some kind of automatic door to my henhouse as well. The only thing that I have come up with is using an electric clock drive motor set on a timer. I'd go into detail as to how it would work but your idea sounds so much better. I think that I will search for the automatic drapery opener on the internet today. I will let you know if I find anything.

#66529 - 11/20/03 12:00 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Have a look at this web page for ideas.

#66530 - 11/20/03 01:19 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Larissa Offline
Coop Cleaner

Wow! Even better! Do you (Anny) have one of the light sensitve openers?

I wish I would have inquired about an automatic henhouse door a long time ago. I thought people would think I'm nuts and that it would be hard to find something--but apparently not.

#66531 - 11/20/03 02:04 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

My son built our automated coop door with spare parts from a broken photo copier. It works on a timer. A good light sensitive switch is quite expensive. You don't want one that closed your coop door when a dark cloud moves by - or opens it at night when a firefly gets mad. wink

#66532 - 11/20/03 03:48 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Larissa Offline
Coop Cleaner

I actually wouldn't plan on using the light sensitive feature of the door. The timer, door lifter and door itself is what I am most interested in. The prices seem fairly reasonable as well.

An old copier mechanism huh? That's very clever.

#66533 - 11/20/03 05:34 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
We have been trying to figure out a timer door for our rooster. We can let the girls out first thing in the morning no probs but the roo stays under dark until 10am. Often we have to leave early and wish we had a timer to let him out on.

THIS IS TOO COOL!! There must be one that is a simple timer rather than a light sensor.

#66534 - 11/21/03 01:50 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Ratbird, go to a car yard and find a windscreen wiper engine (you'll need a 6 volt battery or a 6 V trafo). Secure it above a vertically sliding door. Put it on a timer.

#66535 - 11/21/03 04:23 PM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
OOOOHHHHHH!!!

I showed my husband the link to the site that Anny provided and he has been on a mission ever since.

All good ideas!! Thank you. I'll post a note when we get further on this!

#66536 - 11/24/03 10:13 AM Re: Automatic Hen Door Opener
Larissa Offline
Coop Cleaner

Ratbird, Anny,--anyone else still following this thread. Has anyone of you tried to contact AXT Electronic? I have tried using their contact form to get some questions answered about the automatic henhouse door but haven't had much luck getting the info to send. I also noted on their online order form they warn credit card users that data will be sent "via an uncoded link", which basically means that it is not a secure site. So, I guess that if I really want to order their product I am going to need to call. I believe it's in Germany, so hopefully since their website has an english version someone their will speak a little english. I actually know a little bit of German but I can see a phone order being a bit of a challenge.
Anyway, if anyone has successfully contacted AXT or has any other helpful info about them I'd love to know. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn