Topic Options
#66620 - 10/18/06 01:08 PM Young Roosters Being too Rough
Broody Offline
Chick

Loc: Virginia
I have five young roosters when I meant to get one (thanks a bunch, McMurray), and I am now in the process of deciding who stays and who goes. I was hoping to keep a Light Brahma one, hearing lots about their gentleness. That breed seems to mature more slowly, and one of them is only now starting to breed the hens. The problem is that he's too rough. I get the feeling he doesn't know quite what he's about yet: in your experience, will he learn better manners? I won't keep a rooster who can't be gentle, but I don't want to get rid of him if there's a chance he'll improve. My other roosters are (another) Light Brahma, an Australorp, an Ameraucana, and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I keep my hens for eggs and as pets.

#66621 - 10/18/06 02:19 PM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
Jim Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
are you sure he is being too rough? bald heads and bare backs are not at all unusual. what looks rough to you may only be normal, and i have never seen a gentle rooster when mating.

some young roosters need to be taught to take it easy. an older hen is usually a very good teacher, just dont get worried if she beats up on him a little bit at first.

#66622 - 10/18/06 03:38 PM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
If you hear major screaming, feathers flying, and tears in the sides of your females, I'd say he's being too rough. Males are very clumsy when beginning to breed. I mean, it must take alot of balance to hold himself up there!

#66623 - 10/18/06 04:27 PM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
Broody Offline
Chick

So there's hope for the boy? Yes, it's the latter: bleeding, hen acting hurt, etc. She's okay now, but I don't want it to continue. I have hens w/ somewhat bare backs, but this is quite different. Thanks!

#66624 - 10/18/06 04:57 PM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Occasionally I have a young cockerel that is too rough=for pullets OR older hens. I leave him for a few days, then move him to a different pen for a few days. No hens are damaged, either physically or mentally, and usually such a cockerel learns his business and becomes attentive rather than oppressive after a short time. I have one right now--a great choice, conformation-wise, for a breeding bird, but if I get any fertile eggs for a while, it will be a wonder. The pullets and hens will NOT "stoop" for him, nor stay where he can catch them! Will move him once more this weekend. Some of the young cockerels are kind, attentive and successful almost from their first encounters. Mine have large pens, and are only in trios or foursomes. Only one male per pen, so there is no competition to work through. I will NOT let my female breeding birds be harrassed, hurt, or mistreated by any male bird! It can happen and is simply not necessary! Natural?--well, maybe sometimes, but not necessary....CJR

#66625 - 10/18/06 06:37 PM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Watching my four cockerels 'come of age' has been interesting. When they first began mating it was pretty horrific...their style was brutal, clumsy and sloppy. They did a bit of feather pulling and excessive flapping....very ungraceful. I wanted to kill all of them! They have all matured nicely and are quite smooth little Don Juans now! I believe there IS hope for your boy! I feel that the old hens taught them some manners as they matured.

#66626 - 10/19/06 04:31 AM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I view the cockerels sort of like teen boys and they do calm down later on. What you're seeing now could be an indication of problems later, but we never evaluate them fully until they're closer to a year old. Then again in spring, they can get a bit too wild sometimes. I remove them at these times if it's a problem for the girls. If it continues after they are mature, they GO.

#66627 - 10/19/06 07:06 AM Re: Young Roosters Being too Rough
Broody Offline
Chick

This is all very helpful. Thanks so much!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn