Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66866 - 03/01/06 11:49 AM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
I have a friend who raises Aussies. I think they are great but he is fantastic with dogs. The dogs herd his chickens all over the place, it's very entertaining. The advice I give anyone on any breed is do lots of research--not looking at pictures but researching personality and temperment. Then compare that with your experience and knowledge of dogs and your willingness to do obedience training. When you and the dog match it won't matter the breed, it will be a success. If you get a breed you "love" but it doesn't match you it will be a disaster.

#66867 - 03/01/06 04:18 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Blackdotte Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
Note I am from Australia,here we call them Blue Heelers(there are also Reds) .They are bred to work cattle,and not just docile one but semi wild beasts as well. They herd by biting the heels.Also popular as a wild pig hunting dog.
So now you know what the instinct is.My neighbour has an old bitch that is the greatest suck you could ever find.They also respond well to obiedience training.

#66868 - 03/01/06 07:24 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thats what they are mostly called here too, red or blue heelers. One of my bitches was kicked in the head by my Andalusian mare & her head got the size of a basketball, thought she was gonna die, nope, got run over a couple times by a car, a truck and a tractor, one tuff dog. I think if they are laid back there is another breed snuck in!!

#66869 - 03/01/06 08:46 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Lets get a few facts correct here. Australian Shepards and Blue or Red Heelers are a totaly different breed. Australian Shepards have Border Collies bred into them from the start. Hence the long hair. Heelers have Dingo`s bred into them from the start. Hence the short hair. This is fact. Not fiction. To me the dog is just as good as his or her trainer. Just me. Rog

#66870 - 03/01/06 09:15 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Rog, same thing here in California. Blue Heelers were said to have Dingo in them. Australian Shepherds had Border collie & regular collie in them besides goodness knows what else.

In the 70's ranchers here would rather have a Border collie, Aussie cross or either one crossed with Blue Heelers.

Karen

#66871 - 03/01/06 09:36 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Karen Yep. I raised Australian Shepards in the 70`s. Before AKC accepted them as a breed. Had Blue Merles and Red Merels. ( SP ) My daughter still raises some really nice toys. When I raised them I liked the smaller dogs. Seemed like the bigger dogs were more agressive and harder to get a handle on them. Do you know Martha Hood in Oklahoma. She has raised some great Australian Shepards over the years. And actually she crossed the Shepards with the Heelers and they were a great cross. Not as hard headed as the Heelers and not as timid as the Shepards. Rog

#66872 - 03/01/06 10:22 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Rog, Sorry I don't know Martha Hood.

Yes I like the smaller dogs too! Not because of temperament though. I just like the smaller size because they’re easer to handle, groom, ect. 17 to 19 inches at the shoulder is a good size.

Red Merles are still not common out here. I have a little red female and people ask me all the time what breed she is.

I've had people tell me "that's not an Australian Shepherd! Australian shepherds have blue eyes". Lol

Karen

#66873 - 03/02/06 06:35 AM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Rhova Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
My Aussie is a black and white bi - I get asked all the time "What happened to your Border Collie's tail?". Rog, if you were breeding them in the 70's, you'd know this dogs background I'm sure, he goes back on one side to Hangin' Tree's old working stock (Hangin' Trees Black Bear is his grandpa), and Los Racosa on the other side. He is one tough boy, but so happy and willing to work, I just love him to death, even if he's on the go 18 hours out of the day!

To keep it topic related, I don't think Tucker would ever hurt anything deliberately, even a chicken. However, he's big, he's goofy, and he's knocked every single person in my family flat out at least once, and given me a black eye, all in the name of love! I suspect he'd love chickens, would never deliberately hurt a chicken, but it would get squished by affection :\

#66874 - 03/02/06 03:08 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank ya'll for all the replys smile . Aussies seem like they would be good for cattle but not chickens, which is too bad 'cause I need a chicken dog. All the LGD's that I looked at where all so furry and large - we're on the Gulf Coast and I'm afraid they'd die of heat stroke. Anyone know of a smaller dog that could watch our chickens? We looked at Border Collies but I think that we would have the same problem with them. Does anyone know of a dif LGD thats small?

P.C.

#66875 - 03/02/06 04:35 PM Re: Looking into Aussies as a farm dog
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
You're right Rog! they are 2 different dogs. I usually try to be more correct than I was in my post re; red/blue heelers. My 1st were Aussies, the last was heeler but they are similar workers, my English Shepherd is a heeler also. I am not a fan of AKC breeds, beagles yes as they have the only legitimate gun dog trial format.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn