Topic Options
#66902 - 10/30/06 01:48 PM Excitement in the chicken yard!
Lady Cat Offline
Feather

Loc: Texas
I had 3 week old chicks that needed to go out, and since the small chick coop was occupied by 2 month old silkies and guineas, it was a good time to do some rearranging.

I didn't want the guineas in the silky pen, I wanted them in the main pen. But since there are only 4 of them, I didn't want to just throw them in a pen full of turkeys and adult chickens.

I had a bunch of 4 month old Buff Orp crosses in the brahma pen that are about the same size as the 2 month old guineas (those guineas are BIG), so I decided to see if I could put the guineas and the BO crosses in at the same time and maybe it would fool everybody.

It didn't fool anybody!

The guineas were scared, of course, and they were running around in a tight little group of 4 screaming their heads off trying to figure out where to go and what to do.

The BO cross pullets were running up and down the fence trying to get out. The adult chickens were all running away from the guineas screaming in terror. The turkeys looked at the guineas and said, "What are THOSE things?! They don't belong here!".

Some of the turkeys got all puffed up with wings and necks outstretched and started stalking the guineas. They were looking very aggressive and scary, and I got worried for the guineas.

I had planned on putting pairs of turkeys in the cornish pens around the first of the year, but I decided it might be a good time to do so NOW, before the guineas got hurt.

So I picked up the 2 most aggressive looking toms and the 2 most aggressive looking hens and put 1 pair in the WLR cornish pen, and 1 pair in the dark cornish pen.

The cornish didn't like the turkeys, and the turkeys wanted out! The WLR cornish rooster kept pecking his pair of turkeys, which pair had to keep running away from him, and the dark cornish rooster wasn't sure what to think so he and his hen just avoided their pair.

So at this point there is a frantic flock of 4 guineas running in circles screaming, adult chickens running away from the guineas in terror, a flock of BO crosses running up and down the fence trying to escape, a WLR cornish trying to get a pair of turkeys to fight, a pair of dark cornish making wide detours around another pair of turkeys, and the remaining turkeys in the main pen grouped in one corner trying to figure out what the heck was going on and why had everyone else in their world gone insane? !!

In the meantime, the silky pen was calm and quiet with the new 2 month old silkies in there happily playing in the dirt while the adults ignored them. smile

#66903 - 11/02/06 10:00 AM Re: Excitement in the chicken yard!
Weeble Offline
Chick

Loc: Florida
SO have things calmed down yet?

#66904 - 11/02/06 11:04 PM Re: Excitement in the chicken yard!
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
It sounds like you really FOWLED things up! Nyuk, nyuk smile

#66905 - 11/06/06 07:43 PM Re: Excitement in the chicken yard!
Lady Cat Offline
Feather

Loc: Texas
Things were perfectly calm the next morning smile

Everyone is very happy taking dust baths together and eating out of the same feed pans. It's fun to watch them having fun.

#66906 - 11/21/06 06:04 AM Re: Excitement in the chicken yard!
Pam Clark Offline
Feather

Loc: Ohio
Reminds me of a really funny book I read "Enslaved by Ducks". This poor couple spent their entire days moving their flock of chickens, ducks and turkeys around trying to find a happy arrangement! Then they had rabbits, parrots and a menagerie of other animals that refused to get along with each other too! It was a true story and I really could relate to it. Great book!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn