Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66952 - 04/20/06 11:11 PM Re: Egg Costs
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Like Wyattdogster, we have chickens for personal satisfaction and teaching the kid how to do chores. Teen earns her chore allowance this way.

We sell to friends and neighbours for 2.50 dozen. If I have a surplus I make teen sit outside post office and sell to passersby for 3.00 dozen. Some buy, some don't.

When we started, 4 years ago, feed was $6 a bag. Now it's $9 a bag. My prices have not gone up to reflect this cost. We are not making money. The teen gets the egg money, but in truth we subsidize the chickens. I do not know how cold it gets in Missouri in winter, but what really adds to our egg cost is heating the hen house for 5 or 6 months of the year. That 250 watt bulb and 100 foot extension cord SUCK the energy!

#66953 - 04/21/06 02:49 AM Re: Egg Costs
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
My purpose of keeping poultry may be different than some of you. They're here to keep the insect population down around here. I don't sell eggs.

I don't feed commercial feed. I feed the free ranging flock whole grains, Bermuda hay, diatomaceous earth. Because the birds are omnivores, they need animal protein so all excess eggs are fed back to the birds raw.

If we ever get any rain - it's been 6 months - I will cut back on the grain and the birds will consume more grass/weeds. Right now the acreage is bare.

#66954 - 04/21/06 06:40 AM Re: Egg Costs
Jo Jo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
I trade my eggs at work right now for egg cartons - 2 eggs per dozen size carton. They give me 6 cartons, and I give them one back full. Now that the hens are more mature and laying more regularly, and I have boxes and boxes of egg cartons, I will have to make this same decision very soon.
Does anyone give a discount for buyers who supply their own carton, or charge a premium for buyers who dont?
-jo

#66955 - 04/21/06 08:04 AM Re: Egg Costs
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hehehe Jojo,

Quote:
Does anyone give a discount for buyers who supply their own carton, or charge a premium for buyers who dont?
Nope, not us! If people give back the cartons then they can buy eggs from us again, if they donīt give back the cartons they donīt get any eggs from us anymore. May sound harsh but it works;-) Otherwise we wonīt get cartons because we donīt buy them.

Best greetings,

Joachim

@Rogo16: Good point, i like your point of view;-)

#66956 - 04/21/06 12:45 PM Re: Egg Costs
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
We are a magnet for used egg cartons. Friends who don't buy (or don't regularly buy) eggs from us, knowing we accept cartons, seek us out as their personal egg carton recycling center. We must have a three year supply in the garage. Paper egg cartons do may fine fire starters for a wood stove, however. Wouldn't make sense for us to link it to egg price.

#66957 - 04/23/06 02:36 PM Re: Egg Costs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here outside Nashville I ask and receive $3.00 per dz. Most want brown but some are happy with a mix of brown and white. My kids (2 of them) sell at church and each get to keep $1.00 per dz. sold. The "house" gets $1.00 for feed and cartons. The stores charge about the same for brown eggs, free-range, so I price accordingly. Plus, my customers know me and how picky I am about what I eat so $3.00 is not a stretch at all. 1 free dz. goes to the egg salad lady at church, too, who makes egg salad sandwiches and sells for church camp $$. We only have about 5 dz per week to sell since we eat ALOT of eggs!!

Vanessa

#66958 - 04/26/06 06:49 AM Re: Egg Costs
C. Newman Offline
Chicken

Loc: Virginia
I've got hens that lay brown eggs and some lay blue/green ones. I used to give my surplus eggs away to friends at the office. Lately, I have a lot of surplus and I decided to sell them for $2/dozen instead of giving them away. A few people don't want to pay that much but most feel that the fresh eggs are worth the price.

#66959 - 04/26/06 12:43 PM Re: Egg Costs
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Quote:
A few people don't want to pay that much but most feel that the fresh eggs are worth the price.
Well, why donīt you give surplus eggs back to your birds? If people donīt value your eggs then they should go and buy somewhere else;-) Regardless where you live: $2.00 per dozen is CHEAP, just my opinion. Thatīs 17 cents per egg, not much considered the fact that a hen needs more than 20 hours to "produce" an egg. That makes less than 1 cent hourly rate;-) I know this is not a fair analogy, but i think people should value the effort a hens has while making an egg more. People nowadays take eggs for granted, this is no good in my humble opinion.

Before selling eggs for less than $3.00 per dozen you could bake cakes and stuff for church (for free of course), or you could make advocaat (for yourself or for gifts), hereīs a link to some recipes: http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000209;p=1

Just my opinion, though;-)

Best greetings,

Joachim

#66960 - 04/30/06 06:47 PM Re: Egg Costs
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I sell my eggs for only $1 a dozen on my little roadside self-serve stand.
I should really ask for more but people out here are rather cheap.
Also, I'm not into it for the profit. I just want to earn money to pay for feed.

#66961 - 05/01/06 07:54 PM Re: Egg Costs
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Hi, I too sell for $1.00 a dozen. At first I had a hard time finding customers and gave away several dozen. This gave me customers and now I sell most of my eggs. At one dollar, I don't cover all my costs, but close. Really it is only feed costs of about $15.00 a week. I truly wish I could sell them for more, but people are cheap around here and I have even lost some customers due to the one dollar price since they can get them for less in the store. As for cartons I can not afford to lose customers even if they don't bring back the carton as I requested. However, we have a store here that has a recycling bin for egg cartons and have gotten several through that. Of course I only take clean ones and run them through the dishwasher prior to using them. I guess it all depends on where you live.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn