Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66972 - 08/26/05 10:34 AM Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know if there is an anti-bird flu vaccination? I am getting worried as the bird flu has reached Europe, and winter is getting nearer. A lot of birds migrate to Spain for the winter.

Also, can anyone think of a way that I can keep the hens inside away from wild birds without air holes so bacteria can't get in and the hens can still breath and a cheap way of lighting the indoor, no-air-holes coop?

#66973 - 08/26/05 10:44 AM Re: Bird Flu
C. Newman Offline
Chicken

Loc: Virginia
I've been wondering what precautions we should take here in the US. Can't imagine not having any air holes in your coop. I guess you could use fans to pull air in through a filter. You'll want to exhaust it as well. But is the bacteria actually airborn? I thought it was carried on infected birds. If it is not airborn, you could put small mesh wire screen on windows to keep small birds out.

#66974 - 08/26/05 11:16 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

good idea i will see if i can find out some more but it is getting closer to spain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#66975 - 08/26/05 11:30 AM Re: Bird Flu
Bluetick Offline
Bantam

Loc: New York
I believe that in the Netherlands, all commercial poultry raisers have been ordered to keep their birds inside so they will have no contact with wild migrating birds. Of course, this hurts those who raise organic, free range poultry, but at least they may be able to avoid the bird flu.

#66976 - 08/26/05 08:01 PM Re: Bird Flu
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The Netherlands had an Avian Influenza epidemic 2 years ago that wiped out (they removed) 30 million--yes, of chickens in commercial settings==and also home flocks that were in a certain radius of the infected flocks! Now, only the Netherlands has put on very great restrictions==hoping to avoid the ASIAN Avian Influenza. It has reached chicken flocks in Russia from the Far East, and so the precautions are being taken. If wild birds are infected, then it would threaten Europe --chickens, ducks, geese. But pigeons are also in the mix==and they do "mix" geographically more than other wild birds. The hope is to keep commercial flocks from wild bird contact--(most chickens are already in houses)--it is the ducks and geese that pose the most diffult problem. Other European Countries are not requiring flocks to be entirely housed, as in The Netherlands, but if it moves closer to Germany, France, Belgium, Denmark--other restrictions may be put in place in those countries, also. Do we need to worry? Not at the present time, but practicing "Bio security" is the name of the game--and forgetting SWAP MEETS and rescue of stray chickens is a beginning. "One bad apple" or "one sick chicken" could start some bad things going!! Bad for us all! There is a vaccine for Avian Influenza for chickens, but none for ASIAN Avian Influenze as yet. However, the AAI has had some human crossover and there IS a vaccine about ready for PEOPLE. But if you like to eat chicken, duck or goose (don't know about turkey??) it will pay everyone to keep it out of the U.S., if there is anything you can do about it with YOUR birds!

And yet, not to worry. Nothing has happened yet--and may NOT! CJR

#66977 - 08/27/05 03:09 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

but as winter draws nearer in europe a lot of birds migrate to spain where i live, and with them they could bring the flu.
is the diesease airborne?,would it be safe to keep hens in a hen house with a run with double fencing so birds cant brush against each other ?,
can the infection get in through air holes?i think i will build a run with the sides mabe of hen wire and 4 or 5 inches away another fence so birds cant touch each other. can birds catch the flu by breathing the same air as infected birds? or touching?

#66978 - 08/27/05 03:47 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

just found out a little bit more the hens can catch the fluby:
-Direct contact with discharges from infected birds , especially feces and respiratory secretions.
-Contaminated feed, water, cages, equipment, vehicles and clothing
-clinically normal waterfowland sea birds may iintroduce the virus into flocks.
-eggs from infected birds may split in incubators and cause a contamination.
- domestic birds can get the infection when they roam freely share a water supply with infected birds or that is contaminated with infected droppings

TO KILL THE VIRUS
50 degrees centigrade for 1 hour or 60 degrees centigrade for half an hour.

for more information go to:
www.doh.gov.ph/bird_flu.htm

#66979 - 08/27/05 07:53 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

My ducks (domestic mallards) have never, ever mixed with any other bird. I keep things neat as a pin in their pen and house - (well, at least as clean as one can for ducks!) My concern is for when they free range. I want to continue to let them do this until, and if, the outbreak spreads to the USA. But then, I don't know if this is a wise thing to do, at this juncture. What are some opinions out there?

Also, we swim and fish in a nearby lake that, like most lakes, has wild geese and ducks. In fact, two wild mallard hens were just a couple of yards away from us swimming along in the water. As anyone knows, if you swim in a lake, you're bound to get a minimal amount of water into your mouth - whether a gulpful, or just what is on one's lips. So, now I'm naturally concerned about swimming in the lake. I can't imagine not being able to go for a swim, or fish, because of ducks and geese, and yet, that seems to be where we are headed if this H5N1 spreads here. You cannot stop the birds from flying, or swimming.

#66980 - 10/04/05 06:56 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thinking about this again - and here's a question I've had in the back of my mind.

Does anyone know if, (a big if), the avian flu comes here, would the government force bird owners to get rid of their birds, even if their birds have never mixed with any other bird? I've got domestic mallards from a hatchery - but since waterfowl seem to be the major carriers, am I at a disadvantage simply because I have waterfowl, or doesn't it matter?

#66981 - 10/04/05 08:56 PM Re: Bird Flu
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
If it is in a certain reigon like one state or the northeast i dont think they would order every bird in the continental 48 killed...only those in certain regions where the disease was found and in a, for example, 100 mile radius of a known case. I know with END (exotic newcastles disease)in the western states they ordered all birds killed ducks, chickens, pheasents,ect. even pet parrots even if there was no disease present in the area they were in but because they were certain radius from a known case. They were very strict about it and made no exceptions...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn