Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66982 - 10/06/05 07:52 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is very unsettling. Of course, this avian flu business is frightening enough as it is.

#66983 - 10/08/05 12:09 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

it is now in romania eek eek eek eek

#66984 - 10/08/05 12:19 PM Re: Bird Flu
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
The Avian Influenza issue is a serious one no doubt. But, don't go overboard by sealing your birds off too tightly. I don't receive birds from anywhere else, save that they be day old chicks from reputable hatcheries with good pathogenic practices. Don't let people from other poultry operations drive on your property/farm. Keep feeds inside, where only your birds may access them. Don't buy your replacement stock from live markets, who knows where all those birds have come from and under what conditions they are kept?

Prevention and control

Wild birds and their excreta should be considered a major source of avian influenza. Preventing direct contact with free-flying birds and protecting domestic poultry from contact with the feces of wild birds is an important way to prevent avian influenza.

Live bird markets have been an important source of avian influenza, especially on the East coast of the U.S. It is important to avoid live markets, educate employees about the dangers posed by these markets, and prevent the spread of disease from these markets to your flock by preventing any contact.

Infected birds shed virus in saliva, nasal secretions and feces in the first two weeks of infection. Four weeks after infection, virus can no longer be detected. Hence, prevention is best accomplished by preventing contact between newly infected and susceptible birds. Biosecurity is a first line of defense (see Biosecurity for Poultry Flocks, J. Jeffrey, UC Davis Extension Poultry Veterinarian. Avian influenza can be spread from infected birds through the transfer of feces especially on contaminated equipment and clothing. Controlling the traffic between infected and uninfected birds is essential.

#66985 - 10/08/05 12:31 PM Re: Bird Flu
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

To my knowledge, the H5N1 Strain does have a vaccine in the works, but don't believe it is widely available yet. They are using is in the hardest hit areas. The World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control among others are working round the clock on this growing issue. I've been talking about this strain with students for years and it seems that it will eventually affect large populations. Don't forget, the birds are in enough trouble, but the real scare is the potential for human losses, which they say is simply a matter of time.

Anyone who wants to keep up with the current status of the H5N1 strain may be interested in this link: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/updates/en/

The World Health Organization provides situation updates via this site.

Clean stock may become extremely valuable in the future, everyone should be looking at their control measures regarding their own birds. By the time you have an outbreak, it's too late.

#66986 - 10/09/05 07:15 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

it is now closer in turkey eek eek eek eek eek

#66987 - 10/15/05 04:39 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every day I turn on the news, there is more information about H5N1. It scares me so much. Based on the information we do have, it seems probable this monster will find its way here.

The birds are migrating. The magnificent Canada geese I love so much are flying high in V formation over my land daily. My ducks are below, seemingly safe under a thick canopy of leaves, but for when they free range.

I am reaching that point where I feel I shouldn't let my ducks go outside of their pen - and I should put a manmade roof over it. I feel for all of us - especially those who have many birds, farms full of geese, ducks and chickens. It's a strange feeling, not knowing if it'll come here, but worrying all the same, and not being able to
do something more.

#66988 - 10/15/05 07:19 PM Re: Bird Flu
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
While it is a serious subject, there is no reason to panic.

I have a trip planned to Holland in January. It will be to a very large Poultry Show and will include poultry from other European Countries. I have a non refundable airline ticket, hotel reservations. I keep in touch with the poultry people over there. In August there was information that all Shows in Holland were cancelled, all people must keep their poultry under cover. This was premature and false. (however 2 years ago Holland had an outbreak of Avian Flu and millions of chickens were removed!--they know how to handle it--and do not want a repeat of that tragedy--not that was Avian Flu, not Asian Avian Flu). Wild birds were not accussed of carrying it! So far, everything is still on schedule. I am well aware that this could change any day between now and January. It may not, so why worry now??? It just means one must have alternative plans.

As far as Canada Geese. our migratory birds travel North to South--and not East to West, the Atlantic Ocean separates us from migratory birds to the East of the Ocean-- so we have little to worry about. In order for wild birds to carry the disease, they would have to have been infected in Asia--again, it is a possibility, but not a worry for us NOW.

The biggest chance for infection in the U.S. comes from travelers from Indo China to the U.S. But only if they carry it-and SO FAR people do not carry it!

I recommend you not lose any sleep or happy time worrying about it, just keep tuned! CJR

#66989 - 10/17/05 11:09 AM Re: Bird Flu
Mopar Chick Offline
Chicken

Thank you CJR, as usual, "The voice of reason." smile smile The best thing we can do is to "tend our own gardens". If we practice good animal husbandry and educate ourselves about the virus then we will be prepared IF and when it comes. I refuse to live my life in a constant state of fear. I watch the news and I can't figure out the difference between "yellow alert" terror and "orange alert" terror! This Avian flu feels like the same kind of thing.
Just remember to always wash your hands! And no kissing the bird!
laugh Mopar

#66990 - 10/18/05 07:18 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good analogy mopar - re. the alert system! You're right, CJR. Here's hoping you'll have a great flight and a great time - AT the poultry show!

Well - may sound crazy, but I do like it when my drake gives me a little smooch...he'a a real romeo, you know! Don't worry - I'll be careful.

#66991 - 10/25/05 11:18 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh no!!! i am so scared the chicken flu is in germany and the news say it is in portugal the country at the side of mine . i live in spain, it is now law to keep all poultry indoors wherei live, it might end up with me having to slaughter all my 14 hens ,my 2 new hatched chicks , four baby roosters and two turkeys, it also says that cats and dogs can be infected (i have around seven cats and my neighbor has 2 dogs).
i have seen the birds migrating i V shape formations..... i am so scared at having to probabaly slaughter my new found feathered friends.
Does anyone know of a website where i can learn about goats (how to milk them ,care...) i have decided to get a goat if flu comes here.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn