Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66972 - 08/26/05 10:34 AM Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know if there is an anti-bird flu vaccination? I am getting worried as the bird flu has reached Europe, and winter is getting nearer. A lot of birds migrate to Spain for the winter.

Also, can anyone think of a way that I can keep the hens inside away from wild birds without air holes so bacteria can't get in and the hens can still breath and a cheap way of lighting the indoor, no-air-holes coop?

#66973 - 08/26/05 10:44 AM Re: Bird Flu
C. Newman Offline
Chicken

Loc: Virginia
I've been wondering what precautions we should take here in the US. Can't imagine not having any air holes in your coop. I guess you could use fans to pull air in through a filter. You'll want to exhaust it as well. But is the bacteria actually airborn? I thought it was carried on infected birds. If it is not airborn, you could put small mesh wire screen on windows to keep small birds out.

#66974 - 08/26/05 11:16 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

good idea i will see if i can find out some more but it is getting closer to spain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#66975 - 08/26/05 11:30 AM Re: Bird Flu
Bluetick Offline
Bantam

Loc: New York
I believe that in the Netherlands, all commercial poultry raisers have been ordered to keep their birds inside so they will have no contact with wild migrating birds. Of course, this hurts those who raise organic, free range poultry, but at least they may be able to avoid the bird flu.

#66976 - 08/26/05 08:01 PM Re: Bird Flu
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The Netherlands had an Avian Influenza epidemic 2 years ago that wiped out (they removed) 30 million--yes, of chickens in commercial settings==and also home flocks that were in a certain radius of the infected flocks! Now, only the Netherlands has put on very great restrictions==hoping to avoid the ASIAN Avian Influenza. It has reached chicken flocks in Russia from the Far East, and so the precautions are being taken. If wild birds are infected, then it would threaten Europe --chickens, ducks, geese. But pigeons are also in the mix==and they do "mix" geographically more than other wild birds. The hope is to keep commercial flocks from wild bird contact--(most chickens are already in houses)--it is the ducks and geese that pose the most diffult problem. Other European Countries are not requiring flocks to be entirely housed, as in The Netherlands, but if it moves closer to Germany, France, Belgium, Denmark--other restrictions may be put in place in those countries, also. Do we need to worry? Not at the present time, but practicing "Bio security" is the name of the game--and forgetting SWAP MEETS and rescue of stray chickens is a beginning. "One bad apple" or "one sick chicken" could start some bad things going!! Bad for us all! There is a vaccine for Avian Influenza for chickens, but none for ASIAN Avian Influenze as yet. However, the AAI has had some human crossover and there IS a vaccine about ready for PEOPLE. But if you like to eat chicken, duck or goose (don't know about turkey??) it will pay everyone to keep it out of the U.S., if there is anything you can do about it with YOUR birds!

And yet, not to worry. Nothing has happened yet--and may NOT! CJR

#66977 - 08/27/05 03:09 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

but as winter draws nearer in europe a lot of birds migrate to spain where i live, and with them they could bring the flu.
is the diesease airborne?,would it be safe to keep hens in a hen house with a run with double fencing so birds cant brush against each other ?,
can the infection get in through air holes?i think i will build a run with the sides mabe of hen wire and 4 or 5 inches away another fence so birds cant touch each other. can birds catch the flu by breathing the same air as infected birds? or touching?

#66978 - 08/27/05 03:47 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

just found out a little bit more the hens can catch the fluby:
-Direct contact with discharges from infected birds , especially feces and respiratory secretions.
-Contaminated feed, water, cages, equipment, vehicles and clothing
-clinically normal waterfowland sea birds may iintroduce the virus into flocks.
-eggs from infected birds may split in incubators and cause a contamination.
- domestic birds can get the infection when they roam freely share a water supply with infected birds or that is contaminated with infected droppings

TO KILL THE VIRUS
50 degrees centigrade for 1 hour or 60 degrees centigrade for half an hour.

for more information go to:
www.doh.gov.ph/bird_flu.htm

#66979 - 08/27/05 07:53 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

My ducks (domestic mallards) have never, ever mixed with any other bird. I keep things neat as a pin in their pen and house - (well, at least as clean as one can for ducks!) My concern is for when they free range. I want to continue to let them do this until, and if, the outbreak spreads to the USA. But then, I don't know if this is a wise thing to do, at this juncture. What are some opinions out there?

Also, we swim and fish in a nearby lake that, like most lakes, has wild geese and ducks. In fact, two wild mallard hens were just a couple of yards away from us swimming along in the water. As anyone knows, if you swim in a lake, you're bound to get a minimal amount of water into your mouth - whether a gulpful, or just what is on one's lips. So, now I'm naturally concerned about swimming in the lake. I can't imagine not being able to go for a swim, or fish, because of ducks and geese, and yet, that seems to be where we are headed if this H5N1 spreads here. You cannot stop the birds from flying, or swimming.

#66980 - 10/04/05 06:56 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thinking about this again - and here's a question I've had in the back of my mind.

Does anyone know if, (a big if), the avian flu comes here, would the government force bird owners to get rid of their birds, even if their birds have never mixed with any other bird? I've got domestic mallards from a hatchery - but since waterfowl seem to be the major carriers, am I at a disadvantage simply because I have waterfowl, or doesn't it matter?

#66981 - 10/04/05 08:56 PM Re: Bird Flu
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
If it is in a certain reigon like one state or the northeast i dont think they would order every bird in the continental 48 killed...only those in certain regions where the disease was found and in a, for example, 100 mile radius of a known case. I know with END (exotic newcastles disease)in the western states they ordered all birds killed ducks, chickens, pheasents,ect. even pet parrots even if there was no disease present in the area they were in but because they were certain radius from a known case. They were very strict about it and made no exceptions...

#66982 - 10/06/05 07:52 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is very unsettling. Of course, this avian flu business is frightening enough as it is.

#66983 - 10/08/05 12:09 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

it is now in romania eek eek eek eek

#66984 - 10/08/05 12:19 PM Re: Bird Flu
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

The Avian Influenza issue is a serious one no doubt. But, don't go overboard by sealing your birds off too tightly. I don't receive birds from anywhere else, save that they be day old chicks from reputable hatcheries with good pathogenic practices. Don't let people from other poultry operations drive on your property/farm. Keep feeds inside, where only your birds may access them. Don't buy your replacement stock from live markets, who knows where all those birds have come from and under what conditions they are kept?

Prevention and control

Wild birds and their excreta should be considered a major source of avian influenza. Preventing direct contact with free-flying birds and protecting domestic poultry from contact with the feces of wild birds is an important way to prevent avian influenza.

Live bird markets have been an important source of avian influenza, especially on the East coast of the U.S. It is important to avoid live markets, educate employees about the dangers posed by these markets, and prevent the spread of disease from these markets to your flock by preventing any contact.

Infected birds shed virus in saliva, nasal secretions and feces in the first two weeks of infection. Four weeks after infection, virus can no longer be detected. Hence, prevention is best accomplished by preventing contact between newly infected and susceptible birds. Biosecurity is a first line of defense (see Biosecurity for Poultry Flocks, J. Jeffrey, UC Davis Extension Poultry Veterinarian. Avian influenza can be spread from infected birds through the transfer of feces especially on contaminated equipment and clothing. Controlling the traffic between infected and uninfected birds is essential.

#66985 - 10/08/05 12:31 PM Re: Bird Flu
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

To my knowledge, the H5N1 Strain does have a vaccine in the works, but don't believe it is widely available yet. They are using is in the hardest hit areas. The World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control among others are working round the clock on this growing issue. I've been talking about this strain with students for years and it seems that it will eventually affect large populations. Don't forget, the birds are in enough trouble, but the real scare is the potential for human losses, which they say is simply a matter of time.

Anyone who wants to keep up with the current status of the H5N1 strain may be interested in this link: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/updates/en/

The World Health Organization provides situation updates via this site.

Clean stock may become extremely valuable in the future, everyone should be looking at their control measures regarding their own birds. By the time you have an outbreak, it's too late.

#66986 - 10/09/05 07:15 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

it is now closer in turkey eek eek eek eek eek

#66987 - 10/15/05 04:39 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every day I turn on the news, there is more information about H5N1. It scares me so much. Based on the information we do have, it seems probable this monster will find its way here.

The birds are migrating. The magnificent Canada geese I love so much are flying high in V formation over my land daily. My ducks are below, seemingly safe under a thick canopy of leaves, but for when they free range.

I am reaching that point where I feel I shouldn't let my ducks go outside of their pen - and I should put a manmade roof over it. I feel for all of us - especially those who have many birds, farms full of geese, ducks and chickens. It's a strange feeling, not knowing if it'll come here, but worrying all the same, and not being able to
do something more.

#66988 - 10/15/05 07:19 PM Re: Bird Flu
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

While it is a serious subject, there is no reason to panic.

I have a trip planned to Holland in January. It will be to a very large Poultry Show and will include poultry from other European Countries. I have a non refundable airline ticket, hotel reservations. I keep in touch with the poultry people over there. In August there was information that all Shows in Holland were cancelled, all people must keep their poultry under cover. This was premature and false. (however 2 years ago Holland had an outbreak of Avian Flu and millions of chickens were removed!--they know how to handle it--and do not want a repeat of that tragedy--not that was Avian Flu, not Asian Avian Flu). Wild birds were not accussed of carrying it! So far, everything is still on schedule. I am well aware that this could change any day between now and January. It may not, so why worry now??? It just means one must have alternative plans.

As far as Canada Geese. our migratory birds travel North to South--and not East to West, the Atlantic Ocean separates us from migratory birds to the East of the Ocean-- so we have little to worry about. In order for wild birds to carry the disease, they would have to have been infected in Asia--again, it is a possibility, but not a worry for us NOW.

The biggest chance for infection in the U.S. comes from travelers from Indo China to the U.S. But only if they carry it-and SO FAR people do not carry it!

I recommend you not lose any sleep or happy time worrying about it, just keep tuned! CJR

#66989 - 10/17/05 11:09 AM Re: Bird Flu
Mopar Chick Offline
Chicken

Thank you CJR, as usual, "The voice of reason." smile smile The best thing we can do is to "tend our own gardens". If we practice good animal husbandry and educate ourselves about the virus then we will be prepared IF and when it comes. I refuse to live my life in a constant state of fear. I watch the news and I can't figure out the difference between "yellow alert" terror and "orange alert" terror! This Avian flu feels like the same kind of thing.
Just remember to always wash your hands! And no kissing the bird!
laugh Mopar

#66990 - 10/18/05 07:18 PM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good analogy mopar - re. the alert system! You're right, CJR. Here's hoping you'll have a great flight and a great time - AT the poultry show!

Well - may sound crazy, but I do like it when my drake gives me a little smooch...he'a a real romeo, you know! Don't worry - I'll be careful.

#66991 - 10/25/05 11:18 AM Re: Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh no!!! i am so scared the chicken flu is in germany and the news say it is in portugal the country at the side of mine . i live in spain, it is now law to keep all poultry indoors wherei live, it might end up with me having to slaughter all my 14 hens ,my 2 new hatched chicks , four baby roosters and two turkeys, it also says that cats and dogs can be infected (i have around seven cats and my neighbor has 2 dogs).
i have seen the birds migrating i V shape formations..... i am so scared at having to probabaly slaughter my new found feathered friends.
Does anyone know of a website where i can learn about goats (how to milk them ,care...) i have decided to get a goat if flu comes here.

#66992 - 10/25/05 02:47 PM Re: Bird Flu
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

I dont believe for a second that Rummy nor any other govt official is hyping this. Its a real, possible threat. I DO blame the media for blowing almost any story out of proportion, and after Dan rather gate!and the lies spread by the media from the gulf area who wants to believe anything heard on network news. (There ARE alternatives)
we do need to take precautions and remain, level headed?!

Goats milk may be pre-homogenized and less suceptible to radio active fallout, but ya think its good for the flu tu?? Try a google search for dairy goats, Goats milk wasnt too good for me, I made a pound of cheese a day or more and ate way too much of it! OH, it was good!

#66993 - 10/25/05 03:38 PM Re: Bird Flu
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

I'm not panicing about it coming here, i am concerned some but not in a panic. What i worry about is the panic those who are unimformed will create like neighbors and government and what not. Everytime i watch the news and something about the bird flu is on they show chickens and occasionally ducks and geese. This is putting a bad impression on the minds of those who are worrying about it. They think all chickens ducks and the like have it and must be removed. They mention once in a while it is spread by migratory birds but i dont think those who dont have poultry listen to that part, they are locked in fear mode. I feel they automatically go right to great the neighbors or residents at this location have poultry of some sort we have to do something about this. My chickens dont leave my property and being chickens they dont fly (no migrating for them) however i just dont think people are taking that into consideration... i'll do anything to keep my birds safe from it but i hope people (the government) dont start persecuting those with poultry just to ease the minds of the panic stricken.

#66994 - 10/25/05 05:13 PM Re: Bird Flu
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

The government wont do any thing until the public demands it. They werent being too overt about their actions until the public began to squeel, and the news media picked up on it which really moved things to a panic level(thats what dan Rather and the rest feed on). Covertly, the govt. has been working on this for several years.
As I am fond of saying, ignorance feeds panic, and ignorance is rampant. Have you noticed how many people only read part of a paragraph, or hear part of the story then run off and yak yak yak without having a clue a to what perils they may be causing. Its the same way that feelings are bruised here on the internet, people only see what they want to see and blank out the remainder which distorts the entire meaning.

#66995 - 10/25/05 05:52 PM Re: Bird Flu
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Here is a site that you can follow, if you are in a panic--should sooth your soul.
www.poultrynews.com/ On that site, you can search for the World Health Organization (WHO) report, that has a very rational approach to the subject. And probably a reliable one. But remember, no one has all the information, and no one is coming after our chickens--OR our guns! We are keeping both. CJR

#66996 - 10/25/05 06:07 PM Re: Bird Flu
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri
Could all this propaganda possibly have anything to do with the new animal micro chipping bill that they are trying to pass? Is it just me, or is the timing somewhat suspicious?

#66997 - 10/25/05 07:17 PM Re: Bird Flu
Eowyn Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Hmmm thats food for thought...

#66998 - 10/25/05 09:40 PM Re: Bird Flu
Blue Egg Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
I agree with jackrabbit.
Its media hype.
Chill.