Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67050 - 05/28/06 01:30 AM Re: what to do about crows
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
I've lived where we had a lot of crows here in the U.S., but they've never been a problem. They also kept the hawks away (a territorial thing).

Where I live now, we have a lot of ravens, much larger than the crows, but they also haven't been a problem for my free ranging flock.

My dog's job is to protect the livestock and she's evidently doing an excellent job.

~Rogo

rogo16@yahoo.com

#67051 - 05/28/06 04:47 AM Re: what to do about crows
Lisa Robinson Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
rogo, australian crows are the size of ravens, very little difference, and we dont have hawks thankgod, you have one good dog on your hands, to watch your livestock that well, i hope you give her lots of treats!
katielulu, im laughing at that message laugh how cool that you can actually just shoot those nasty varments!

#67052 - 06/14/06 10:36 AM Re: what to do about crows
Murphy Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
I noticed that of the 27 baby chicks, every day one or two are gone missing....
Today I heard a baby chick just pipping like crazy... and there was a crow trying to get it. I saved the chick and scared off the crow. so it is true that crows will steal baby chicks?
I never had this problem before.

#67053 - 06/14/06 12:20 PM Re: what to do about crows
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
They love to eat baby chicks and rob bird nests of many young--in my area, House Finches and American Robins, especially. (I have no young robins this year--ONE Raven and ONE Magpie are the culprits. (protected or not, the gun is ready, but they have been too crafty for me!) They also prey on Ringneck, Grouse, Wild Turkey babies! Crows and Ravens are true predators!
We keep posting that if you wish to protect your birds, you must have covered runs--sooner or later it will happen, even if you have seemed safe for years! It is up to us to protect our flocks! Just the way it is! Good luck, CJR

#67054 - 06/14/06 03:20 PM Re: what to do about crows
Murphy Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
Yes, I am working on it now. I also parked two of my dogs in the coop... chicks are climbing all over them smile

#67055 - 06/14/06 03:41 PM Re: what to do about crows
Lisa Robinson Offline
Coop Cleaner

i do agree with crj, that a fully coverd pen is the way to go,
i would like to add however that my 2 isa brown hens are actually protecting the whole flock.
any crow or magpie even the cat are being attacked and chased away by them, it is fascinating to me, not even the rooster does that.
i think i will get a few more isa browns!!!

#67056 - 06/14/06 06:20 PM Re: what to do about crows
W. C. Lawrence Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Georgia
I did not read the whole post, but I do know this, in the US, if you kill a crow, and leave it hanging in a tree, the others will not come around for several months. I shot one here as a kid and still to this day they never come near the place where I killed that crow.

#67057 - 06/14/06 06:57 PM Re: what to do about crows
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You are correct, and the same is true of Black Billed Magpies, you only have to get one, and leave it on a fence or just on the ground in an open place. This is not true of Hawks. I do not ever kill hawks!!! They do far more good than harm--and no harm at all, if you protect your chickens with covered pens!. Like owls, most are the best rodent hunters you could ask for. And if you leave chickens available, of course, they are a bigger meal and they will come again and again. I do not make mine available! CJR

#67058 - 06/15/06 03:05 AM Re: what to do about crows
Lisa Robinson Offline
Coop Cleaner

great, now if i could just kill one of the buggers i'll be right.!!!
were not aloud any guns here, so this could be tricky.

#67059 - 06/15/06 04:07 AM Re: what to do about crows
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

If you could put a rabbit trap where the crows go and the chooks don't, maybe even bait it, then ...

David

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn