Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67116 - 12/01/03 03:30 PM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a golden and a black lab also they are real good with the chickens but they chase about everything else inlcuding the poor dove my lab got today. When my mom brings her yorkies over they go right for my birds chasing them all over the place. They may not be able to fit one in there mouth but they can get feathers in there. good luck

#67117 - 12/01/03 05:05 PM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what to do yet. Last night, a fox (I think) dug a hole under the fence and got 4 of my hens. I seem to be losing them in large numbers. I know for sure I don't want to get a puppy, I don't have the time to raise one. I'm going to check with the SPCA and see what they have in. So some of you say small dogs and some of you say big dogs...I'm not sure which would be better. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

#67118 - 12/02/03 10:29 AM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi again, if you are losing that many chickens to predators, maybe you need to tighten the fencing/coop situation right away, and think about lighting outside. I've read alot on this site which can help you in terms of fencing underneath and around your coop. If you really are intent on getting a dog to protect your flock - get a dog bred for working with livestock with inbred guarding and herding capabilities (as I mentioned some breeds above)- these dogs will be easier to work with than say, a dog who has been bred solely for guarding or ratting. Dogs are predators too, don't forget - so it's best to weed out a problem before it exists. As I mentioned, my Schnauzer is the best guard dog you could ask for, but he is NOT bred for herding and no matter how much training I could give him, I cannot erase his inate terrier, ratting disposition. You want a dog who will help to protect your flock by virtue of his scent and bark - to deter wild predators. He is not out there to fight - he's out there to scare them away. If, by some awful circumstance, he/she ends up fighting a wild animal, your dog risks injury or death, rabies, skyrocketing vet bills etc. So, just keep these things in mind. Good luck.

#67119 - 12/02/03 11:54 AM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I went downstairs and am kicking myself because I just can't go against you getting a dog from the pound - despite all the info. I gave you. I've got a feeling you're heading for the pound anyway - and good for you! My other dog is from the pound, and he is the one who doesn't bother my ducks at all - (though I still wouldn't leave him alone with them.) He is the most affectionate, loyal dog - I love him to pieces. And, there are so many dogs in need of a good home - I hope you do find your dog at the pound! To help make your selection, as Chookers said, talk to the folks at the pound and tell them what you're looking for, and definitely take him/her for a walk around the grounds, noticing how the dog behaves around squirrels, birds etc. You might even want to bring a couple of your birds in your car, take the dog to look at them and see the reaction - some dogs will go nuts, some will be bored, some curious - you want the one who shows no excitability around them, but one who is alert and friendly. There are lots of obedience classes for dogs - a good idea. I wish you so much luck - for your chickens too, and especially for a dog out there who might get a second chance at a decent life.

#67120 - 12/06/03 04:49 PM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Please don't get a dog just for the sake of a having a guard for your chickens. Get one because you WANT a dog and will make it a part of your family. Dogs are super intelligent and social and I can't tell you how many neglected dogs I see in my own neighborhood alone. Fed and watered, but that's about it.
That being said, if you really want to adopt a dog, do not rule out pound dogs. There are SO MANY great dogs at the pound, dying (literally) for a home.
As for breeds, I wouldn't worry what breed. Just having the dog scent around will deter predators. As for what dogs will get along with chickens, I believe (from experience) that it just depends on the training you give the dogs. I have 2 labs (one's a trained bird dog) and they've accepted my chickens as part of their "pack."

#67121 - 12/07/03 05:14 AM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A slightly different take.

Have any of you tried a guard Llamma.

I had a horrible slaughter from two neighbor dogs last summer (I caught them in the act when I returned from a short trip to the store). I have three dogs, none of which have ever bothered the chickens, but one of which shows too much interest for comfort. However, due to consideration to my neighbors, my dogs spend a good deal of their time in the 1/2 acre yard I have fenced for them. Their yard (remember one of them makes me nervous) is seperate from the chicken area (they were locked up when the attack occured). Since the attack, I have made things more secure in the chicken run, but no free ranging is going on.

My plan (you know how it is with projects-plenty of plans, not enough time or money) is to enclose about an acre for some milk goats and Llamas as guards. I've started the work, but wont get it done now until next summer. I would like to let the chickens free range in this area as well. I know some Llamas are great as guards for smaller stock, such as goats. Guarding the chickens may just prove to be a great bonus.

Anyone have any experience w/ this??

#67122 - 12/08/03 06:53 PM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Shahbazin Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Also, besides local shelters, check out dog rescue sites, like Petfinder. If you want a chicken dog, just to guard the livestock, think seriously about one of the breeds bred to guard livestock (not herd them, which is a form of chasing stock): Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Maremma. Here's a rescue site for LGDs: http://www.nasrn.org/

#67123 - 12/08/03 06:59 PM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would guard breeds include German Shepherd? You hardly ever see them anymore, seems like.

Ann

#67124 - 12/09/03 06:05 AM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Great Pyrenees (spelling?) who is absolutely WONDERFUL for guarding my livestock. The first day I brought my chickens home, I kept them in the livingroom after an owl tried to make off with one of them. She layed right beside the box and wouldn't let any of the other dogs near them. She wasn't mean -- just let them know she meant business.

This past week, I've had a stray dog show up on my property. He decided yesterday that it would be fun to try his hand at chasing chickens. But, once again, Arizona came to the rescue. She immediately placed herself between the stray and the chickens and let him know -- in no uncertain terms -- that the chickens were "hers" and that chasing them was off limits.

She is my wonderful, gentle giant -- and I would recommend a Pyre to anyone interested in having, not only a wonderful companion, but a terrific livestock dog as well.

#67125 - 12/09/03 06:51 AM Re: Is there a good dog breed for chickens?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to echo what someone else said, find out what the pound's policy is about farm dogs. I volunteered at one pound where they put a big beautiful dog down because they didn't want him to go to a farm. A family on a farm wanted him badly, but they were turned down because he would be (shock) working!
Also, my neighbours and I have had problems with coyotes, and everyone here has a dog. I solved it by having my chickens always behind a fence. I move it when they run out of fresh grass, but I left about six inches of chicken wire at the bottom, and I fold it down and put bricks on it. There is evidence of things trying to dig and get under, but they have been unsuccessful and it has been about 7 months. The neighbours have lost 7 chickens, and I lost only one, and that was before the fence regime. Good luck with whatever you try. It is stressful to lose chickens!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn