Topic Options
#67177 - 10/04/08 06:01 PM What breeds are good for showing and PLENTY of eggs?
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
I am looking into getting some chicks for eggs soon. I already have some laying hens,but they are slowing down now and I need some eggs.I enjoy showing chickens too,and I was wondering which show breeds lay alot but are also good for showing? Please reply as soon as possible. JULIA

#67178 - 10/05/08 12:29 PM Re: What breeds are good for showing and PLENTY of eggs?
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Heavy egg production tends to take hens down in condition, so if you want both you may have to do somewhat of a balancing act. The ideal time to show pullets is about the time they first start laying, so if you can schedule your hatch/baby chicks at the right time according to the shows you plan to attend it will help a great deal. Choose a line of birds from a reputable breeder that has a docile disposition, as wild birds seldom do well in the shows. Find out what is available by talking to others who show and do well at it, and then choose a breed that has eye appeal to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Australorp is one breed that may fit your needs, but there are many others to consider.
1st John 5:11-12

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn