Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67199 - 09/05/08 04:30 AM Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

Loc: Missouri
I need to put down my old rooster humanely. He is a dear pet that deserves to be treated with respect. Please share your advise with me. Thanks.

#67200 - 09/05/08 05:48 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Perhaps you can find a vet who is willing to put him to sleep.

#67201 - 09/05/08 07:02 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

The vet said he could "heart stab him" and that is not acceptable. I worked for an animal shelter that used that method. He also said he "may" be able to hit a vein. I'm afraid it will be cruel if he tries and it doesn't work. I just hoped someone knew of a gentle way to help him go quietly.

#67202 - 09/05/08 07:56 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I was thinking the vet could inject him with some type of medicine that would cause the rooster to go to sleep. Isn't that what vets do to cats and dogs when they put them to sleep?

#67203 - 09/05/08 08:30 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

euthanize I think that's how it's spelled. Yes but my vet isn't confident that he can hit a vein like in a cat or dog. When the heart is stuck the animal literally dies from trauma to the heart opposed to just drifting off. I have assisted in euthanizing dogs and cats with the heart stab and intravenious. Heart stabbing causes a violent death. Not the quiet approach I'm looking for. I could just drowned him in the water trough and it would probably be better. And I've considered that but I know I can't do it. I appreciate your concern anyway. Thank you!

#67204 - 09/05/08 08:55 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Well, I learned something new today. I know how you feel about having to put an animal down. I have a difficult time with it myself. By the way, what is wrong with the rooster?

#67205 - 09/05/08 09:02 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Is there anyway you can find someone to shoot him?
I know it's messy but I find it to be the quickest way. They never see it coming and it's over in seconds.
...Drowning is not a humane way to put him down (IMO)

#67206 - 09/05/08 09:34 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

"Burney" was gimp legged when we got him but he did pretty good. We've had him 4 years now and he has declined so fast in the last 3 months. I don't think he can see and he doesn't seem to have enough coordination to eat or drink. He stands and flaps his wings and crows but is shakey and then he flops down and rolls onto his side. He will lean against something if he can for balance but he is happiest when we hold him. I don't know how old he is. My brother found him at a lake entangled in fishing line. I don't know what has caused his decline but his quality of life is gone. We help him eat and drink but we need to help him rest.I wish he could just go to sleep. He goes to sleep when I hold him but wakes up and complains when I put him down.

#67207 - 09/05/08 07:32 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I had a pet rooster that was fading too. I ended up taking a machete and chopping his head not completely off. He did die quickly but it was way traumatic for me. I also am interested in another way to humanely kill the birds.

#67208 - 09/05/08 07:57 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
LA Chick Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
Mariaricardo, my husband did the same chopping off of our old beloved hen, I could not even watch, put it was better than letting her suffer.
I do know any form of seizure medication in quantity, will gentle put them into a perment sleep.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn