Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67209 - 09/05/08 09:25 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Chopping off the head is actually very quick and humane. (Any movement afterwards is just a reaction. The bird is gone.) If you're out of city limits, a gun is also quick, like another poster said.
Frankly, bringing him into a vet clinic would probably be a stresful and traumatic, not to mention expensive.

#67210 - 09/05/08 11:17 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
I would suggest putting him in a plastic bag. A leaf bag or large trash bag is fine. He will quickly fall asleep in the darkness, and the oxygen will soon be used up. He will peacefully sleep away, and there will be no blood or suffering. If you put him in the bag at night, he will be gone by morning. Sorry about your loss.

#67211 - 09/06/08 10:22 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Such a shame. It's a darn shame that more vets don't know how to properly hit a vein. It's easiest to get a vein in the wing-web. Can you find a vet with more specialization in birds?

I use a gun. A .22 or even a pellet gun. However, I do NOT let the bird roam free when aiming, but I tie the bird down and do it that way so that there is NO chance of missing.

#67212 - 09/08/08 06:48 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
It is very hard for us too. We were processing our meat birds by chopping their heads off but it seemed to much movement and blood for us - we were not confident with whether we were doing it correctly. We haven't processed any meat birds yet this year but we did have to put a hen down. My hubby didn't want to chop her head off and neither did I, so we tried the pellet gun thing, I held her body down and he litterally had the tip of the barrel touching the back of her head and she went right away. Just a bit of movement and not as gory (little to no blood). It was still sad but we are going to try to process our meat birds soon this way. The bag thing sounds good, I would just have that terrible feeling that the death would seem prolonged if the bird didn't go to sleep right away - but I am a terrible worry wart!

#67213 - 09/08/08 11:21 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I doubt that I would sleep well the night the bird was in the plastic bag dying.
This killing of the birds is a current problem for me. I have way too many roosters. I wish they would attack me, then it would be easier. The plucking, eviscerating etc is OK and even somewhat fascinating, but the actual taking of life is something I need to learn in order to be a complete poultry farmer.

#67214 - 09/09/08 09:07 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

You know, I have had to delve deeper into the morals of this myself to justify the killing. For me, I figure we are omnivores and I like to eat meat. I have 2 choices: turn a blind eye to what happens at the chicken factories and be a hypocrite about other chickens, how they are cared for and slaughtered, or I can care for my birds as well as possible, controlling what they eat and giving them a good life until the time comes that they have to give up a life. Then I say a quick few words of thanks for the life and meat I am being given (under my breath of course!) Just before the deed is done and I feel just a LITTLE less guilty about it. Personally I feel more honest and better about option number 2. That is just my own take on this and I am sure there are hundreds of different points of view on the morals of killing our animals for meat. Best of luck with it smile

#67215 - 09/09/08 09:07 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
None of us likes to kill another being. That being said, when it becomes necessary, it is our duty to do it with the least amount of pain and suffering possible.

Personally, I've been on an ambulance crew for nearly 20 years now, and have witnessed more deaths than I care to remember. However, the deaths that I have seen that were the result of asphyxiation appeared to me to be the least painful. I have seen people who drowned, and their facial expressions were horrid. Those in accidents appeared to have died in terrible pain, unless they were killed instantly. However, the ones who died in their sleep from lack of oxygen from a fire or other means, appeared to be sleeping peacefully. This is the reason that I recommended the plastic bag method for the rooster.

#67216 - 09/10/08 02:00 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Cindy Offline
Feather

Loc: Louisiana
I worked for an avian/exotics practice for awhile. We did "heart stabs" on the smaller animals, but we anesthetised them with isoflourane first. If your vet does not usually work with birds, see if he will do this: carefully wrap your bird's wings with a towel so he is comfortable, take the rubber part off the anesthesia mask and wrap it instead with vetwrap so the opening is small enough that it fits his face and let him go to sleep, he will struggle some since the gas has an odor, then the dr can inject the euthanasia drug without pain.

#67217 - 09/12/08 09:30 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Let's not get into the industry. That's a long debate and I'm more than ready to take a stand! lol!

When I worked with a professor here, we ALL had to learn how to inject into birds. It's actually not that hard, but you definitely need 2 people for it...and a good grasp of anatomy! lol!

As for being in a bag. I can't see having ANYONE or ANYTHING suffocate to death. I just can't do it. It's actually a very painful death. All of your cells are screaming for oxygen, yet none will come.

#67218 - 09/16/08 11:25 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

jjrsygntbrdr1: If you are referring to the meat bird industry, yes it is a long debate if you generalize the commercial meat bird factories into one category. I just like to eat my birds from a well known, small time, local producer or from my own farm, as there is NO way here in Canada to tell where your chicken is coming from at the large grocery stores and how it lived before it died. Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn