Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#67219 - 09/16/08 02:33 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Use ether. Buy starter fluid in a spray can,which is ether. Spray it on a cloth and hold it on the birds head.

Bob

#67220 - 09/16/08 04:32 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Do you mean starter fluid for the BBQ or for car engines? Will the ether kill it or just anesthesize it? How long to hold it on the head? Will it effect the meat?

#67221 - 09/16/08 08:20 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Starter fluid for car/lawnmower engines. It comes in a small spray can. You can get it at any automotive parts houses. It may even say ether on the can.

How long? I don't know 2-3 minutes, untill the animal is motion less for some time.

Does it affect the meat? I don't know. If food is your concern and you have no problems with eating it then I say just chop its head off and be done with it.

#67222 - 09/16/08 08:59 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Well, how else would you "lump" them??? lol

Commercial meat birds are killed with different methods all over the world.

ckvchestnut, so in Canada you can't tell a home-grown bird from a commercial broiler? Do the grocery stores not force the local growers to take them to a rendering plant to be cleaned before sale?

#67223 - 09/16/08 10:56 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
The main reason for my wanting a different method than chopping off the head is because I want to harvest the neck feathers (and saddles) for feather leis. The less blood and damage to the feathers the better. I wonder how the fly tyers dispatch their birds?
Madmax, how is your rooster?

#67224 - 09/18/08 11:04 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

I would say that the ether does not affect the meat, but it is only a guess on my part.

When harvesting birds for taxidermist we use to collapse the lungs by grasping the bird under the wings ( kind of like their arm pits) and squeezing rather hard. The lungs are located just under the rib cage. This robs the bird of air.
They immediately act like they are going to sleep and just pass away, this takes a few minutes.
We only did this with smaller birds, quail doves and pheasants. I am not sure how it would work with a large cock bird, but in theory it would.
If you are still interested I could go into a little more detail

Bob

#67225 - 09/18/08 12:06 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I would hate to try and squeeze a struggling rooster and crush the air out of him. Roosters are big and strong and frankly I wonder about the humanity of this technique. If you doubt me, have a friend squeeze your throat until you pass out. This will be quick but EXTREMELY unpleasant! Loss of air induces PANIC, there is noting peaceful and sleepy about it!

I believe there is a way of killing a bird with a killing knife, although the technique seems to be lost. I think it involves pushing a very thin knife up through the roof of the mouth into the brain. This is also supposed to affect the bird in some way, making them easier to pluck.

It seems from all the posts there has been trouble finding a way that is quick, effective, humane and yet preserves the bird for plummage and eating. I think it comes to this: if you want it quick and effective, chop the head and be done with it. This will be bloody and humane. If you want to harvest feathers and still eat bird your killing method is likely to be less humane, but look prettier.

If using the feathers is the point, then try a two step method. Strike the bird on the head hard enough to render him unconscious. While he is out, very carefully cut the throat to allow bleed out, but not enough to damage cape feathers. Once he has bled out, skin the neck preserving feathers. Fly tiers keep their feathers attached to tanned hide. Then you can cut off head, pluck, clean , roast.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has used a killing knife to go to the brain through the roof of the mouth. I think I have posted this in the past but never heard from anyone who has done it.

#67226 - 09/18/08 01:08 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Quote:
Originally posted by uno:
I would hate to try and squeeze a struggling rooster and crush the air out of him. Roosters are big and strong and frankly I wonder about the humanity of this technique. If you doubt me, have a friend squeeze your throat until you pass out. This will be quick but EXTREMELY unpleasant! Loss of air induces PANIC, there is noting peaceful and sleepy about it!

First off I would agree that trying this method on a large rooster would be trouble, and I said as much.
But you obviously have a problem with this and that is OK, but you are wrong. There is an apparent difference between choking something(or me)and collapsing its lungs. This method was given to me by a Vet 25 years ago, I have used it many times( although it has been a while) and it works just as I have said.

For the record I have read more than a couple of times that drowning is one of the most painless deaths there is. And no I wont try it and tell you how it went.

Bob

#67227 - 09/18/08 02:43 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I think this thread has served its purpose, so I'm locking it before it becomes a heated topic.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn