Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67199 - 09/05/08 04:30 AM Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

Loc: Missouri
I need to put down my old rooster humanely. He is a dear pet that deserves to be treated with respect. Please share your advise with me. Thanks.

#67200 - 09/05/08 05:48 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Perhaps you can find a vet who is willing to put him to sleep.

#67201 - 09/05/08 07:02 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

The vet said he could "heart stab him" and that is not acceptable. I worked for an animal shelter that used that method. He also said he "may" be able to hit a vein. I'm afraid it will be cruel if he tries and it doesn't work. I just hoped someone knew of a gentle way to help him go quietly.

#67202 - 09/05/08 07:56 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I was thinking the vet could inject him with some type of medicine that would cause the rooster to go to sleep. Isn't that what vets do to cats and dogs when they put them to sleep?

#67203 - 09/05/08 08:30 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

euthanize I think that's how it's spelled. Yes but my vet isn't confident that he can hit a vein like in a cat or dog. When the heart is stuck the animal literally dies from trauma to the heart opposed to just drifting off. I have assisted in euthanizing dogs and cats with the heart stab and intravenious. Heart stabbing causes a violent death. Not the quiet approach I'm looking for. I could just drowned him in the water trough and it would probably be better. And I've considered that but I know I can't do it. I appreciate your concern anyway. Thank you!

#67204 - 09/05/08 08:55 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Well, I learned something new today. I know how you feel about having to put an animal down. I have a difficult time with it myself. By the way, what is wrong with the rooster?

#67205 - 09/05/08 09:02 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Is there anyway you can find someone to shoot him?
I know it's messy but I find it to be the quickest way. They never see it coming and it's over in seconds.
...Drowning is not a humane way to put him down (IMO)

#67206 - 09/05/08 09:34 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Mad Max Offline
New Egg

"Burney" was gimp legged when we got him but he did pretty good. We've had him 4 years now and he has declined so fast in the last 3 months. I don't think he can see and he doesn't seem to have enough coordination to eat or drink. He stands and flaps his wings and crows but is shakey and then he flops down and rolls onto his side. He will lean against something if he can for balance but he is happiest when we hold him. I don't know how old he is. My brother found him at a lake entangled in fishing line. I don't know what has caused his decline but his quality of life is gone. We help him eat and drink but we need to help him rest.I wish he could just go to sleep. He goes to sleep when I hold him but wakes up and complains when I put him down.

#67207 - 09/05/08 07:32 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I had a pet rooster that was fading too. I ended up taking a machete and chopping his head not completely off. He did die quickly but it was way traumatic for me. I also am interested in another way to humanely kill the birds.

#67208 - 09/05/08 07:57 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
LA Chick Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
Mariaricardo, my husband did the same chopping off of our old beloved hen, I could not even watch, put it was better than letting her suffer.
I do know any form of seizure medication in quantity, will gentle put them into a perment sleep.

#67209 - 09/05/08 09:25 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Chopping off the head is actually very quick and humane. (Any movement afterwards is just a reaction. The bird is gone.) If you're out of city limits, a gun is also quick, like another poster said.
Frankly, bringing him into a vet clinic would probably be a stresful and traumatic, not to mention expensive.

#67210 - 09/05/08 11:17 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
I would suggest putting him in a plastic bag. A leaf bag or large trash bag is fine. He will quickly fall asleep in the darkness, and the oxygen will soon be used up. He will peacefully sleep away, and there will be no blood or suffering. If you put him in the bag at night, he will be gone by morning. Sorry about your loss.

#67211 - 09/06/08 10:22 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Such a shame. It's a darn shame that more vets don't know how to properly hit a vein. It's easiest to get a vein in the wing-web. Can you find a vet with more specialization in birds?

I use a gun. A .22 or even a pellet gun. However, I do NOT let the bird roam free when aiming, but I tie the bird down and do it that way so that there is NO chance of missing.

#67212 - 09/08/08 06:48 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

It is very hard for us too. We were processing our meat birds by chopping their heads off but it seemed to much movement and blood for us - we were not confident with whether we were doing it correctly. We haven't processed any meat birds yet this year but we did have to put a hen down. My hubby didn't want to chop her head off and neither did I, so we tried the pellet gun thing, I held her body down and he litterally had the tip of the barrel touching the back of her head and she went right away. Just a bit of movement and not as gory (little to no blood). It was still sad but we are going to try to process our meat birds soon this way. The bag thing sounds good, I would just have that terrible feeling that the death would seem prolonged if the bird didn't go to sleep right away - but I am a terrible worry wart!

#67213 - 09/08/08 11:21 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

I doubt that I would sleep well the night the bird was in the plastic bag dying.
This killing of the birds is a current problem for me. I have way too many roosters. I wish they would attack me, then it would be easier. The plucking, eviscerating etc is OK and even somewhat fascinating, but the actual taking of life is something I need to learn in order to be a complete poultry farmer.

#67214 - 09/09/08 09:07 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

You know, I have had to delve deeper into the morals of this myself to justify the killing. For me, I figure we are omnivores and I like to eat meat. I have 2 choices: turn a blind eye to what happens at the chicken factories and be a hypocrite about other chickens, how they are cared for and slaughtered, or I can care for my birds as well as possible, controlling what they eat and giving them a good life until the time comes that they have to give up a life. Then I say a quick few words of thanks for the life and meat I am being given (under my breath of course!) Just before the deed is done and I feel just a LITTLE less guilty about it. Personally I feel more honest and better about option number 2. That is just my own take on this and I am sure there are hundreds of different points of view on the morals of killing our animals for meat. Best of luck with it smile

#67215 - 09/09/08 09:07 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
None of us likes to kill another being. That being said, when it becomes necessary, it is our duty to do it with the least amount of pain and suffering possible.

Personally, I've been on an ambulance crew for nearly 20 years now, and have witnessed more deaths than I care to remember. However, the deaths that I have seen that were the result of asphyxiation appeared to me to be the least painful. I have seen people who drowned, and their facial expressions were horrid. Those in accidents appeared to have died in terrible pain, unless they were killed instantly. However, the ones who died in their sleep from lack of oxygen from a fire or other means, appeared to be sleeping peacefully. This is the reason that I recommended the plastic bag method for the rooster.

#67216 - 09/10/08 02:00 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Cindy Offline
Feather

Loc: Louisiana
I worked for an avian/exotics practice for awhile. We did "heart stabs" on the smaller animals, but we anesthetised them with isoflourane first. If your vet does not usually work with birds, see if he will do this: carefully wrap your bird's wings with a towel so he is comfortable, take the rubber part off the anesthesia mask and wrap it instead with vetwrap so the opening is small enough that it fits his face and let him go to sleep, he will struggle some since the gas has an odor, then the dr can inject the euthanasia drug without pain.

#67217 - 09/12/08 09:30 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Let's not get into the industry. That's a long debate and I'm more than ready to take a stand! lol!

When I worked with a professor here, we ALL had to learn how to inject into birds. It's actually not that hard, but you definitely need 2 people for it...and a good grasp of anatomy! lol!

As for being in a bag. I can't see having ANYONE or ANYTHING suffocate to death. I just can't do it. It's actually a very painful death. All of your cells are screaming for oxygen, yet none will come.

#67218 - 09/16/08 11:25 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

jjrsygntbrdr1: If you are referring to the meat bird industry, yes it is a long debate if you generalize the commercial meat bird factories into one category. I just like to eat my birds from a well known, small time, local producer or from my own farm, as there is NO way here in Canada to tell where your chicken is coming from at the large grocery stores and how it lived before it died. Cheers!

#67219 - 09/16/08 02:33 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Use ether. Buy starter fluid in a spray can,which is ether. Spray it on a cloth and hold it on the birds head.

Bob

#67220 - 09/16/08 04:32 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Do you mean starter fluid for the BBQ or for car engines? Will the ether kill it or just anesthesize it? How long to hold it on the head? Will it effect the meat?

#67221 - 09/16/08 08:20 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Starter fluid for car/lawnmower engines. It comes in a small spray can. You can get it at any automotive parts houses. It may even say ether on the can.

How long? I don't know 2-3 minutes, untill the animal is motion less for some time.

Does it affect the meat? I don't know. If food is your concern and you have no problems with eating it then I say just chop its head off and be done with it.

#67222 - 09/16/08 08:59 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Well, how else would you "lump" them??? lol

Commercial meat birds are killed with different methods all over the world.

ckvchestnut, so in Canada you can't tell a home-grown bird from a commercial broiler? Do the grocery stores not force the local growers to take them to a rendering plant to be cleaned before sale?

#67223 - 09/16/08 10:56 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

The main reason for my wanting a different method than chopping off the head is because I want to harvest the neck feathers (and saddles) for feather leis. The less blood and damage to the feathers the better. I wonder how the fly tyers dispatch their birds?
Madmax, how is your rooster?

#67224 - 09/18/08 11:04 AM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

I would say that the ether does not affect the meat, but it is only a guess on my part.

When harvesting birds for taxidermist we use to collapse the lungs by grasping the bird under the wings ( kind of like their arm pits) and squeezing rather hard. The lungs are located just under the rib cage. This robs the bird of air.
They immediately act like they are going to sleep and just pass away, this takes a few minutes.
We only did this with smaller birds, quail doves and pheasants. I am not sure how it would work with a large cock bird, but in theory it would.
If you are still interested I could go into a little more detail

Bob

#67225 - 09/18/08 12:06 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I would hate to try and squeeze a struggling rooster and crush the air out of him. Roosters are big and strong and frankly I wonder about the humanity of this technique. If you doubt me, have a friend squeeze your throat until you pass out. This will be quick but EXTREMELY unpleasant! Loss of air induces PANIC, there is noting peaceful and sleepy about it!

I believe there is a way of killing a bird with a killing knife, although the technique seems to be lost. I think it involves pushing a very thin knife up through the roof of the mouth into the brain. This is also supposed to affect the bird in some way, making them easier to pluck.

It seems from all the posts there has been trouble finding a way that is quick, effective, humane and yet preserves the bird for plummage and eating. I think it comes to this: if you want it quick and effective, chop the head and be done with it. This will be bloody and humane. If you want to harvest feathers and still eat bird your killing method is likely to be less humane, but look prettier.

If using the feathers is the point, then try a two step method. Strike the bird on the head hard enough to render him unconscious. While he is out, very carefully cut the throat to allow bleed out, but not enough to damage cape feathers. Once he has bled out, skin the neck preserving feathers. Fly tiers keep their feathers attached to tanned hide. Then you can cut off head, pluck, clean , roast.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has used a killing knife to go to the brain through the roof of the mouth. I think I have posted this in the past but never heard from anyone who has done it.

#67226 - 09/18/08 01:08 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Quote:
Originally posted by uno:
I would hate to try and squeeze a struggling rooster and crush the air out of him. Roosters are big and strong and frankly I wonder about the humanity of this technique. If you doubt me, have a friend squeeze your throat until you pass out. This will be quick but EXTREMELY unpleasant! Loss of air induces PANIC, there is noting peaceful and sleepy about it!

First off I would agree that trying this method on a large rooster would be trouble, and I said as much.
But you obviously have a problem with this and that is OK, but you are wrong. There is an apparent difference between choking something(or me)and collapsing its lungs. This method was given to me by a Vet 25 years ago, I have used it many times( although it has been a while) and it works just as I have said.

For the record I have read more than a couple of times that drowning is one of the most painless deaths there is. And no I wont try it and tell you how it went.

Bob

#67227 - 09/18/08 02:43 PM Re: Need Help Putting Down My Old Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I think this thread has served its purpose, so I'm locking it before it becomes a heated topic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn