Topic Options
#67228 - 03/17/04 10:08 AM Key West Chickens continues
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a story on Yahoo about the Key West Chicken Catcher if anyone is interested. it is a cute article. Enjoy. Cedewynne

#67229 - 03/17/04 12:54 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you have a link?

Thanks!

#67230 - 03/17/04 01:13 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am so computer illiterate it ain't even funny. My husband is an IT professional and I always manage to surprise him with what I don't know how to do with a computer or software. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link. I can tell you it is on Yahoo news under US national and the Associated Press ran the story. It is about the man hired by Key West to catch and relocate 900 of the 2000 chickens, give or take, on Key West and the resposes of some of the citizenry to the relocation program. Cedewynne

#67231 - 03/17/04 09:08 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
HAHAHAHA Catha just sent it to me todat!!!!
Here is the l she sent me....hope it comes up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-3870197,00.html

this should get you to it.
sally

#67232 - 03/21/04 07:35 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

WELL........the chicks and chickens arrived this afternoon!!! They sent me 3 roos...Absolutely
GORGEOUS!! 2 bantam hens and 30 chicks...all bantam game...hmmmmm...ALL (give or take 1 or 2)
PULLETS!!! Very Strange.....
One of the roos looks like the beautiful traditional game cocks. one ot them looks like a dark brahma bantam but without the feather legs and 1 looks like the mystery free exotic roo posted on another thread on the coop LOL (evcept this one isn't as big. ALL are beautiful and pretty tame.

#67233 - 03/22/04 04:26 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Sally, how are the adult chickens? are they friendly or do they try to get away from you? What about the chicks? how old do you think they are? Its sounds like a handful they you got. Do they test them for diseases before sending them to you? That is what i would be worried about (that and getting all roosters!). It sounds like an exciting thing to do, i would just worry about diseases, which is why my dad didnt want to order chicks through the mail this yard. You wouldnt perhaps be getting pictures of them, would you? If so i would love to see them, and i'm sure others would too! I hope they are all doing well!

#67234 - 03/22/04 06:28 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

they don't test them but they wouldn't catch and send off sick chickens. The adults are friendly. I have picked up all the roos at least 2 times each. The hens aren't quite as easy laugh
That's ok, they are gentle and happy. Since we had another cold snap the chicks are under lights. I know it is really warm down there and it is in the 40's here tonight. They are all good. As far as I can tell, there are only about 5 cockerals ont of 35 chicks....hmmmm....strange huh? Well, it is a good thing. They are all very well adapted to each other. The older 4 chicks will be released with the hens on friday. The other 30 are being placed in other foster homes. I will have another load brought in in several weeks.
It is no work and no worry. They are very beutiful, hardy and used to living on their own. We have a huge barnyard, bottomland, and as they decide to range out, hundred of acres of forest. I can't protect them from everything, but, I can help to enable them to live out their lives and continue a noble heritage in freedom. There is so much heritage and history behind these birds!!
As to their looks, one roo looks like a young Yokohama, one is the traditional Game type, and 1 looks like a Bantam dark brahma without leg feathers. I WILL take pics this week-end and get a friend to post them. Please believe me when I say this is a very grave situation down there. They have perhaps 700 more birds to place NOT including all the chicks hatching now.
The island is 2 miles by 4 miles small. There are estimated almost 2000 chickens (adults) there.
Twice what is gonna be allowed. The whole purpose is for them to be free tho, wherever they go. Thanks for listening.

#67235 - 03/22/04 08:22 PM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
I really do feel bad for those chicken down there. If i could take some i would but my chickens free range and i do all i can to keep them on our property (6 arces is enough for them sometimes). I wonder...where my dad took my 3 rooster is a to a guys house. He has alot of chickens roaming the mountain. He must have alot of roosters to hens there. I wonder how he would feel about having some hens shipped up here. He doesnt do much of anything for the chickens, they just live on the mountain there, those chickens are use to do for themselves. How would they do in cold weather? Could they ship to Pa, would he have to pay to have them shipped?

#67236 - 03/24/04 03:05 AM Re: Key West Chickens continues
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

To get ahold of the rescue chicken lady e-mail:
KathaDL@aol.com
She can answer the questions about what they do as policy for shipping etc.
My birds are doing great!! Thanks for asking, and caring!!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn