Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67310 - 02/22/05 05:55 AM dogs and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a new puppy that I wanted to put in the yard with the chickens but my vet is horrified, saying that the dog will pick up chicken diseases. Do dogs get chicken diseases, or do chickens get dog diseases. What about if the chickens peck at the dog poop?

#67311 - 02/22/05 06:56 AM Re: dogs and chickens
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I don't know of any diseases, but I will tell you, it's recycle heaven when there's different critters in the same place. Dog's will eat chicken poop and chickens will eat dog poop. If you ever decide to turn your friends on to fresh farm eggs, just don't tell them what the fowl eat!!!
My dog was wonderful with chickens. I even raised chicks in the house with the dog and 6 cats. None got sick from the other. Of course, it's logical that something could be passed, and if any animals are being treated with any medications, that could present a problem.

#67312 - 02/22/05 06:58 AM Re: dogs and chickens
Duck Boy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers and they have never gotten sick from the ducks/geese/chickens and the ducks/geese/chickens have never gotten sick fromm the dogs. My dogs are out in the duck yard with me every day when I feed around. I also know of 3 other people who do the same thing as I do and they have never told me about there dogs getting sick from their birds or vice versa.

#67313 - 02/22/05 07:05 AM Re: dogs and chickens
Mopar Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
I would ask your vet to be more specific. My vet never said anything except for the obvious- the dog could possibly eat the chickens and yes they can transmit parasites back and forth. Usually your dog should be on heartworm preventative monthly and most of them contain a worming medication as well as ivermectin for the heart worms. If the puppy grows up with the chickens he probably will learn to protect them from outside predators which is a good thing. Dogs and chickens have co-existed for centuries on farms. Let us know what the vet is horrified about. What kind of puppy?

#67314 - 02/22/05 12:24 PM Re: dogs and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you need a second opinion. Parasites... probably. But diseases????....

#67315 - 02/22/05 02:04 PM Re: dogs and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just my two cents. My pup had parasites when I rescued him, badly!! I was told by my vet that most pups do indeed have some intestinal parasites that are curbed by proper medicinal care. So, when he was let out to poop, he'd be releasing parasites and the meds into the soil. It's definitely best to provide an "area" just for this, and keep it away from the chickens to be on the safe side. When the pup is free and clear of parasites, meds - then he may still prefer to poop in that area from the training, but if not - at least he won't be spreading nasty stuff around. Also - some of these parasites can live in the soil for a long time, so cleaning up is a good idea. My pup is now very healthy - and so are my waterfowl.

#67316 - 02/23/05 07:36 AM Re: dogs and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back again...Well, if dogs eat chicken poop and chickens eat dog poop, has anyone out there ever tried to deter them by putting something nasty-tasting on some dog/chicken poop and letting the animal have a go at it. If so, does this work, and what is safe, although nasty-tasting.

By the way, our puppy was a stray and the vet in Tennessee said she was possibly a Shepherd/Collie mix, but our vet says that she thinks there is some Rottweiler there due to her markings. I think she is right.

Tx for your replies.

#67317 - 02/23/05 08:19 AM Re: dogs and chickens
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Nasty, is relavant only to OUR tastes. Dog and chickens do not have the sames tastes at all. There are sprays to repell dogs, but you could hardly go about and spritz every one of the chicken poops --uncountable, every day.

Why not just go with the flow--chickens have been pecking through horse and cow poop plus a zillion other unmentionables for centuries and reduce the number of insects in both, when able to browse the pastures. And dogs, too try uncountable unmentionables. They have an easy reflux and rid themselves of anything that isn't digestable. That's what dogs may do! Worms are host specific and do not transfer via poop. Any exceptions can be detected by annual vet checks and treated.

So few people are living on real farms these days that the "symbiotic" relationship of animals and people are partly forgotten and have to be learned again. Not to worry! CJR

#67318 - 02/23/05 05:34 PM Re: dogs and chickens
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
My chickens dont eat dog poop...they wont even eat their own poop and have never seen dog poop as something edible. My dogs normally dont eat chicken poop but sometimes there is a chicken poop that just has that special smell i suppose, doesnt happen often though. Like others said parasites like round worms can be transmitted from chicken to dog (or to cat or to humans even). Get the chickens tested for parasited and the puppy, if they need to be wormed get wormer fromt he feed store for the chickens and from the vet for the puppy. good luck .

#67319 - 02/23/05 10:17 PM Re: dogs and chickens
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Dogs and poultry have been together on ranches and farms from a long way back. I think you need a new vet! :o)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn