Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67326 - 08/15/04 07:48 AM Florida Poultry
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It will be a while before we know about our friends in Florida. I do not know how poultry and livestock are protected during such a disaster as the hurricane Charlie! It is the people suffering that we must be most concerned about--but still--we also "know" a lot of chickens in Florida. Pray for safety and recovery! CJR

#67327 - 08/15/04 07:57 AM Re: Florida Poultry
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
Thank You CJR, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

#67328 - 08/15/04 08:57 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Samantha Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arizona
That is so true. I too worried about the people, but what about the pets that get left behind because there's no where to take them or not enough time to get them out. I have a friend in Orlando that her sister has three goslings, I haven't heard yet as to how things are with them. I hope she was able to keep them protected along with her family.

#67329 - 08/16/04 10:31 PM Re: Florida Poultry
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sally Wheeler has not checked in for a while--in Florida. Would like to know she and her birds are safe! CJR

#67330 - 08/17/04 09:44 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Sharkey Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
Way up here in the NW Panhandle, we didn't get squat, I am happy to say. We have certainly had our share in the past.

However, my inlaws live in on the south central Atlantic coast, and though they were spared the worst, they still lost some fruit trees and some shingles.

These things are no fun, that's fer shewer !!

#67331 - 08/19/04 08:23 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I can tell you Im from florida and livestock has been hit very hard here. I go to livestock auctions here on sundays and they mentioned they only have about an 1/8 of what they normally have thanks to charley the furious hurricane. The hurricane was tracked to come through tampa bay. that would of been right over me.thank the lord it changed its course. I would of lost all the livestock I own. You cant put livestock in shelters. Its sad I know but if It comes down to it Im going to save my family before the animals.

#67332 - 08/19/04 08:41 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Coop Keeper

ash, thank you for the update.I can't even think of it happening to me.All of you are in my thoughts and prayers

#67333 - 08/22/04 05:37 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all,
I live in new port richey florida which is were charlie was supposed to hit Phewwwwee I got very luck. It hit south of me but we brought the chickens in to the garage put them in a play pent that had vented sides with food water and hay to lay on with a cool fan i think they were much happy their than outside on a usual day LOL. Any way we got lucky but if it did hit my little girl would have been safe I only had 4 chickens picked up 4 more today any way I am praying for the people in punta gorda florida ect. thanks for your thoughts. laugh

#67334 - 08/26/04 09:51 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all, Hi CJR and thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We need them. I, as Ash, dodged a HUGE bullet when Charley came through. It was to pass directly over us too. The bobble caused it to go a bit (a very small bit) to the south and slamming Orlando and many many farming districts to bits. I do know of several very sad tragedies with poultry and other stock. Through the grace of God ALL my stock was spared but with much work and total exhaustion on my part.
As I manage the feed store I could hardly tell everyone they were on their own so I had to work thursay till almost dark. It took me a good portion of the night and right up to the first big squall on friday to secure the most fragile of my birds. I have many chicks and moms of all sorts and when it went from a catagory 2 to a 4 just like that I had to regroup and move 6 new litters of rabbits also..... eek

we did lose power for awhile and a minor out building roof, had some tossed over rabit hutches (empty thankfully) many inches of rain and sustaining winds from 50 to 80 mph for the last hour that it was over us.
When it passed it was so quiet it was spooky. Midnight it was, but, my butt was outside with a flashlight checking on all the stock. I slept well knowing I did good. I am still exhausted from it all and still striving to help others that were slammed hard. Believe you me....ALL prayers and well wishes are apreciated and needed. We are a tough lot tho.
I haven't been on much tho and I really miss all of you!!!
Sally

#67335 - 08/27/04 05:08 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Coop Keeper

Sally ,good to your your fine a little bumped and tired but it could have been worse.Keep us posted if there is anything we can do for your folks there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn