Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67336 - 09/01/04 08:23 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi all. just an update for the weather. It is happening again, I will probably off line for awhile if I lose it.
say a prayer for all of us. Many pets will be killed. Most will make it
Sally

#67337 - 09/01/04 10:07 PM Re: Florida Poultry
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sally and all, we will be watching and praying for all who are now in the path of Frances. CJR

#67338 - 09/02/04 03:02 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you CJR, and all, there is always way too much work to get prepared for something like this. I go into a "non-sleep" mode and for at least a day (thankfully 2 days ago now) I wander about not getting anything accomplished as I don't know what to do first eek it is so overwhelming.....Thank God I am past that. I am scared to death, so much of florida was hit badly just 3 weeks ago. We were lucky then, I don't think we will fare as well this time. I only, truly care that the animals and birds are safe. I have lots of medical supplies and the guts to use them. unfortunately, many folks know I also have the stomach to put those animals down that can't be helped. It is a thankless job but one that I can do if necessary.
They are predicting we will have sustaining winds of 80 miles per hour with gusts up to 135mph for 24 solid hours!!!! Please pray. I truly don't believe I have the barns and buildings to sustain that kind of weather, I don't know if I myself can. God help us all frown

sally also on line as salisez

#67339 - 09/02/04 05:49 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Sally, they have it coming directly over us right now,it's getting pretty scary. We did'nt get hit by Charley except for a storm it threw off, my house got hit by lightning, killed 2 computers, TV's and a bunch of other stuff,was just able to get puter back.Of course I built my chicken pens under some very large oak trees, I'm wondering when this gets closer if they would be safer if I let them out of their pens? Please do pray for us, this is a big one. Good Luck Sally, and everyone else, I know I will be praying for all.

#67340 - 09/02/04 08:11 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep...here we go again!!!! This storm is huge. It can cover the entire state. Im on the west coast of Florida so I know I will not get as much damage like those on the East coast. God Bless everyone and lets pray it turns at the last minute.

sherry

#67341 - 09/02/04 11:08 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

those storms just sound terrible!!! I'm so sorry for all of you that are going to be in it, and I hope that you, your family, and all of your pets, poultry, and livestock will be okay. and to think that I worry about tornados. those hurricanes sound much worse. I'm just thankful that we don't get them here in Iowa. I don't think that I would be able to stand it. I would be so worried about my family and all of our animals. not to mention our house and all of our stuff.

again, I'm really sorry for all of you who are going to be in these hurricanes. I just hope that none of you, your families, or your animals are harmed.

#67342 - 09/06/04 09:48 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,
I got my power back on a few hours ago. Thank-you all for the good wishes and prayers.
Ash, Machele and all the others in Fl. who are on here not to mention GA.SC and the other states that are gonna be socked by this gal, GOD
bless you!! I cannot recall a situation in my whole entire life that was this traumatic, ever.
The pre-hurricane work load and stress can make a madman out of a saint.
The normal time span of this type of squall is usually 2 or 3 hours for the worst. The first rain bands of any consequence came in friday evening. By sat. evening it was getting hairy but had not yet made landfall. By NOON saturday it was getting ready to blow big time, by sunday it WAS big time and as of this evening (monday), at dark the rain was subsiding.....all in all,3 days to prepare and 4 days of extreme stress.
Rachel, I would still pick this possibility over one of your tornadoes. It is the not knowing that is the worst.
As to the storm, most of my animals survived. I underestimated the rainfall and had some young birds either drown or die of exposure. Some made it by the tick of a clock.
We lost two roofs, 2 canopies, 2 fences and our power and phone. My big miscalculation was the amount of rainfall to our already saturated land.
We flooded and so did the stock. Needless to say many young stock was lost but many were saved. I pray all the others fared well
Sally

#67343 - 09/07/04 12:15 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Leee, Hi Sandra wink ,
don't poor Leee him LOL. He doesn't affect me in the least. I actually get a kick out of his dry humor...or lack of it. It's ok, I would think the same way if I live out by him in Paradise. I will try my best to answer his questions and respond to his requests too.
First of all, I was born and raised in Michigan till I was almost 13. In those short years I evacuated to cellars at least 2 times a year to escape tornadoes. We had the forever threat of
bone chilling cold in the winter, which started as early as august and ended as late as june, some years eek
The last winter we were there we had 4 feet of snow in 5 days!!!! HELLOOOO!!!!
My family moved to Florida, hence how I came here. In 35 years this is the ONLY hurricane with which I felt truly threatened. I have been through a few smaller ones with no worries. Perhaps it affected me more as I have so many animals and poultry now which very lives depend on my decisions.
As to the ares where hurricanes don't go...hmmmmm
that leaves: nevada, arizona, montana, nebraska, ohio, michigan, kansas, oklahoma, mousori,N and S Dakota...I'm sure I missed a couple states
:rolleyes: please forgive me. Out of all those states, they suffer some form of natural disasters such as floods, tornadoes, brutal biting winters, excrutiating summers etc. Hence, we all have our burdens to bear. I choose this one. and for the record, I have NEVER received government funding due to a natural or national disaster but I would if necessary and would NEVER begrudge those that have no other options either. That is what it is there for.
On the lighter side, the duck and the pig thought they died and went to heaven wink the water hogs that they are.

#67344 - 09/07/04 12:57 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sally,
Having moved from the winter cold and tornados of Wisconsin 4 years ago, we thought the big mountains of Virginia would shield us from all that stuff... nope! We had a tornado rip through Danville a couple of weeks ago, got drenched by Isabel and lost power for 49 hours last year...

And we LOVE IT in Virginia.... so do the ducks!

Was thinking of you as well - I have 3 from my own family near/south Sebring. We last spoke with them Friday 9:30pm. Been calling 2x daily, and still get the 'facility interrupt' (meaning all public telephone trunks are knocked out).

For one of my sisters (also named Sally), she had just moved from California, 6 months ago. Her attitude Friday night was more-or-less, "eh, well we did have a drought... :p "

My kids asked me, "Do we HAVE TO go down there for Thanksgiving this year?!" and "..what if the Ranch is blown away?" :rolleyes: KIDS!!!

Nutty thinking is genetic. It has been suggested our sense of humor is just one of many mental defects we suffer.... :rolleyes:

Glad to hear the ducks had fun - and you're OK.

#67345 - 09/07/04 05:36 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Runners and thanks for the support. As to your family, I'm sure they are ok. There were only a couple fatalities initially and none were named Sally!! believe me, I would have caught that one!!!
There are still several hundred thousand homes without power and phones. We were lucky as Lake County didn't get blasted like the east coast. Some were without power for over 2 weeks after Charley and had ONLY JUST got power last week.
Keep the faith!! and keep those ducks a swimmin lol

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn