Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67326 - 08/15/04 07:48 AM Florida Poultry
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It will be a while before we know about our friends in Florida. I do not know how poultry and livestock are protected during such a disaster as the hurricane Charlie! It is the people suffering that we must be most concerned about--but still--we also "know" a lot of chickens in Florida. Pray for safety and recovery! CJR

#67327 - 08/15/04 07:57 AM Re: Florida Poultry
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
Thank You CJR, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

#67328 - 08/15/04 08:57 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Samantha Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arizona
That is so true. I too worried about the people, but what about the pets that get left behind because there's no where to take them or not enough time to get them out. I have a friend in Orlando that her sister has three goslings, I haven't heard yet as to how things are with them. I hope she was able to keep them protected along with her family.

#67329 - 08/16/04 10:31 PM Re: Florida Poultry
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Sally Wheeler has not checked in for a while--in Florida. Would like to know she and her birds are safe! CJR

#67330 - 08/17/04 09:44 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Sharkey Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
Way up here in the NW Panhandle, we didn't get squat, I am happy to say. We have certainly had our share in the past.

However, my inlaws live in on the south central Atlantic coast, and though they were spared the worst, they still lost some fruit trees and some shingles.

These things are no fun, that's fer shewer !!

#67331 - 08/19/04 08:23 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I can tell you Im from florida and livestock has been hit very hard here. I go to livestock auctions here on sundays and they mentioned they only have about an 1/8 of what they normally have thanks to charley the furious hurricane. The hurricane was tracked to come through tampa bay. that would of been right over me.thank the lord it changed its course. I would of lost all the livestock I own. You cant put livestock in shelters. Its sad I know but if It comes down to it Im going to save my family before the animals.

#67332 - 08/19/04 08:41 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Coop Keeper

ash, thank you for the update.I can't even think of it happening to me.All of you are in my thoughts and prayers

#67333 - 08/22/04 05:37 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all,
I live in new port richey florida which is were charlie was supposed to hit Phewwwwee I got very luck. It hit south of me but we brought the chickens in to the garage put them in a play pent that had vented sides with food water and hay to lay on with a cool fan i think they were much happy their than outside on a usual day LOL. Any way we got lucky but if it did hit my little girl would have been safe I only had 4 chickens picked up 4 more today any way I am praying for the people in punta gorda florida ect. thanks for your thoughts. laugh

#67334 - 08/26/04 09:51 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all, Hi CJR and thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We need them. I, as Ash, dodged a HUGE bullet when Charley came through. It was to pass directly over us too. The bobble caused it to go a bit (a very small bit) to the south and slamming Orlando and many many farming districts to bits. I do know of several very sad tragedies with poultry and other stock. Through the grace of God ALL my stock was spared but with much work and total exhaustion on my part.
As I manage the feed store I could hardly tell everyone they were on their own so I had to work thursay till almost dark. It took me a good portion of the night and right up to the first big squall on friday to secure the most fragile of my birds. I have many chicks and moms of all sorts and when it went from a catagory 2 to a 4 just like that I had to regroup and move 6 new litters of rabbits also..... eek

we did lose power for awhile and a minor out building roof, had some tossed over rabit hutches (empty thankfully) many inches of rain and sustaining winds from 50 to 80 mph for the last hour that it was over us.
When it passed it was so quiet it was spooky. Midnight it was, but, my butt was outside with a flashlight checking on all the stock. I slept well knowing I did good. I am still exhausted from it all and still striving to help others that were slammed hard. Believe you me....ALL prayers and well wishes are apreciated and needed. We are a tough lot tho.
I haven't been on much tho and I really miss all of you!!!
Sally

#67335 - 08/27/04 05:08 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Coop Keeper

Sally ,good to your your fine a little bumped and tired but it could have been worse.Keep us posted if there is anything we can do for your folks there.

#67336 - 09/01/04 08:23 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi all. just an update for the weather. It is happening again, I will probably off line for awhile if I lose it.
say a prayer for all of us. Many pets will be killed. Most will make it
Sally

#67337 - 09/01/04 10:07 PM Re: Florida Poultry
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Sally and all, we will be watching and praying for all who are now in the path of Frances. CJR

#67338 - 09/02/04 03:02 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you CJR, and all, there is always way too much work to get prepared for something like this. I go into a "non-sleep" mode and for at least a day (thankfully 2 days ago now) I wander about not getting anything accomplished as I don't know what to do first eek it is so overwhelming.....Thank God I am past that. I am scared to death, so much of florida was hit badly just 3 weeks ago. We were lucky then, I don't think we will fare as well this time. I only, truly care that the animals and birds are safe. I have lots of medical supplies and the guts to use them. unfortunately, many folks know I also have the stomach to put those animals down that can't be helped. It is a thankless job but one that I can do if necessary.
They are predicting we will have sustaining winds of 80 miles per hour with gusts up to 135mph for 24 solid hours!!!! Please pray. I truly don't believe I have the barns and buildings to sustain that kind of weather, I don't know if I myself can. God help us all frown

sally also on line as salisez

#67339 - 09/02/04 05:49 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Sally, they have it coming directly over us right now,it's getting pretty scary. We did'nt get hit by Charley except for a storm it threw off, my house got hit by lightning, killed 2 computers, TV's and a bunch of other stuff,was just able to get puter back.Of course I built my chicken pens under some very large oak trees, I'm wondering when this gets closer if they would be safer if I let them out of their pens? Please do pray for us, this is a big one. Good Luck Sally, and everyone else, I know I will be praying for all.

#67340 - 09/02/04 08:11 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep...here we go again!!!! This storm is huge. It can cover the entire state. Im on the west coast of Florida so I know I will not get as much damage like those on the East coast. God Bless everyone and lets pray it turns at the last minute.

sherry

#67341 - 09/02/04 11:08 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

those storms just sound terrible!!! I'm so sorry for all of you that are going to be in it, and I hope that you, your family, and all of your pets, poultry, and livestock will be okay. and to think that I worry about tornados. those hurricanes sound much worse. I'm just thankful that we don't get them here in Iowa. I don't think that I would be able to stand it. I would be so worried about my family and all of our animals. not to mention our house and all of our stuff.

again, I'm really sorry for all of you who are going to be in these hurricanes. I just hope that none of you, your families, or your animals are harmed.

#67342 - 09/06/04 09:48 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,
I got my power back on a few hours ago. Thank-you all for the good wishes and prayers.
Ash, Machele and all the others in Fl. who are on here not to mention GA.SC and the other states that are gonna be socked by this gal, GOD
bless you!! I cannot recall a situation in my whole entire life that was this traumatic, ever.
The pre-hurricane work load and stress can make a madman out of a saint.
The normal time span of this type of squall is usually 2 or 3 hours for the worst. The first rain bands of any consequence came in friday evening. By sat. evening it was getting hairy but had not yet made landfall. By NOON saturday it was getting ready to blow big time, by sunday it WAS big time and as of this evening (monday), at dark the rain was subsiding.....all in all,3 days to prepare and 4 days of extreme stress.
Rachel, I would still pick this possibility over one of your tornadoes. It is the not knowing that is the worst.
As to the storm, most of my animals survived. I underestimated the rainfall and had some young birds either drown or die of exposure. Some made it by the tick of a clock.
We lost two roofs, 2 canopies, 2 fences and our power and phone. My big miscalculation was the amount of rainfall to our already saturated land.
We flooded and so did the stock. Needless to say many young stock was lost but many were saved. I pray all the others fared well
Sally

#67343 - 09/07/04 12:15 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Leee, Hi Sandra wink ,
don't poor Leee him LOL. He doesn't affect me in the least. I actually get a kick out of his dry humor...or lack of it. It's ok, I would think the same way if I live out by him in Paradise. I will try my best to answer his questions and respond to his requests too.
First of all, I was born and raised in Michigan till I was almost 13. In those short years I evacuated to cellars at least 2 times a year to escape tornadoes. We had the forever threat of
bone chilling cold in the winter, which started as early as august and ended as late as june, some years eek
The last winter we were there we had 4 feet of snow in 5 days!!!! HELLOOOO!!!!
My family moved to Florida, hence how I came here. In 35 years this is the ONLY hurricane with which I felt truly threatened. I have been through a few smaller ones with no worries. Perhaps it affected me more as I have so many animals and poultry now which very lives depend on my decisions.
As to the ares where hurricanes don't go...hmmmmm
that leaves: nevada, arizona, montana, nebraska, ohio, michigan, kansas, oklahoma, mousori,N and S Dakota...I'm sure I missed a couple states
:rolleyes: please forgive me. Out of all those states, they suffer some form of natural disasters such as floods, tornadoes, brutal biting winters, excrutiating summers etc. Hence, we all have our burdens to bear. I choose this one. and for the record, I have NEVER received government funding due to a natural or national disaster but I would if necessary and would NEVER begrudge those that have no other options either. That is what it is there for.
On the lighter side, the duck and the pig thought they died and went to heaven wink the water hogs that they are.

#67344 - 09/07/04 12:57 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sally,
Having moved from the winter cold and tornados of Wisconsin 4 years ago, we thought the big mountains of Virginia would shield us from all that stuff... nope! We had a tornado rip through Danville a couple of weeks ago, got drenched by Isabel and lost power for 49 hours last year...

And we LOVE IT in Virginia.... so do the ducks!

Was thinking of you as well - I have 3 from my own family near/south Sebring. We last spoke with them Friday 9:30pm. Been calling 2x daily, and still get the 'facility interrupt' (meaning all public telephone trunks are knocked out).

For one of my sisters (also named Sally), she had just moved from California, 6 months ago. Her attitude Friday night was more-or-less, "eh, well we did have a drought... :p "

My kids asked me, "Do we HAVE TO go down there for Thanksgiving this year?!" and "..what if the Ranch is blown away?" :rolleyes: KIDS!!!

Nutty thinking is genetic. It has been suggested our sense of humor is just one of many mental defects we suffer.... :rolleyes:

Glad to hear the ducks had fun - and you're OK.

#67345 - 09/07/04 05:36 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Runners and thanks for the support. As to your family, I'm sure they are ok. There were only a couple fatalities initially and none were named Sally!! believe me, I would have caught that one!!!
There are still several hundred thousand homes without power and phones. We were lucky as Lake County didn't get blasted like the east coast. Some were without power for over 2 weeks after Charley and had ONLY JUST got power last week.
Keep the faith!! and keep those ducks a swimmin lol

#67346 - 09/08/04 12:36 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sally,
I got through to my sister (Sally) last night, other than a few trees, they came through fine. She said Sebring (just a few miles north) got hit pretty hard. One of her kids answered the phone - and said she was BORED for the 2 days they spent indoors.

Power was out just 1 hour!

Now we get all the rain and tornados...

#67347 - 09/10/04 05:28 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

well we got frances out of the way and here comes Ivan. This is very frustrating. frown

#67348 - 09/10/04 07:41 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Albert Sanchez Offline
Chicken

Loc: Florida
Here we go again, Al Sanchez of Wesley Chapel, Fl. In Pasco county.. Now the Bad Ivan is heading towards Florida. I have lost over 30 birds in the two last storms & have no idea how many Ivan will take, my prayers go out to all my fellow Floridains. Hope everyone stays safe & I will give an update once Ivan clears our state.. Til then God Bless us all. Al Sanchez West Central Florida..

#67349 - 09/10/04 09:51 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
I'm sorry for your losses, Al. I talked to my dad in Ocala yesterday. He had just gotten his electricity back on at 8:30. It had been out since Saturday. Our prayers are going out to all the FL people with or without chickens...

#67350 - 09/10/04 08:15 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is a very strange and difficult time. I too have lost a few birds but I have lost more from snakes and predators than the storms. Good luck Al. I believe the stress of waiting is the worst for most. Where I was frantic and fearful the last two, I am weary of it all and will just wait it out. There is someone in my prayers, in Key West. Katha, the chicken lady will probably stick it out down there as she has no way to move all the birds and won't leave them. At least I don't think she ever has. So be it. We are a tough lot here. We will make it.
Would all of us from FL. on this forum please check in as soon as possible when all is said and done.....thanks and God bless.
Sally

#67351 - 09/14/04 10:18 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Sally and Florida friends, Keeping you all close in thought thru this awful hurricane season. I LOVE Florida, love the people, too and wish I could come down to help you with all your animals. You must all be stressed and exhausted to the maximum. You and your animals are ALL in my heartfelt prayers.

#67352 - 09/14/04 10:53 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Admin @ The Coop Offline
Bantam

Loc: United States
I know hurricanes can be devistating - an acquaintance from the Eastern seaboard lost nearly all of his extensive poultry operation(birds) in a hurricane several years ago. He is well respected and had helped a lot of others over the years and I understnad that people came out of the wood work to help him repopulate his operation once everything settled down.

If any of our Florida Friends have been so unlucky, maybe they wil find similar support here and elsewhee in the poultry community.

Loren

#67353 - 09/15/04 06:48 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Loren, Mare and all of you,
Thank you for your prayers and well wishes. Many of us were spared Ivan, for that I am indeed grateful to God. We are getting the extreme outer bands which are just rain squalls, but, unfortunately the west coast of FL., the Panhandle and the gulf coast are getting slammed as no other this season. For this I am extremely saddened. It is sad to lose our livestock, wether it be pet or our income and livelihood. It is far, far worse to lose our people. We have, and will lose, many more with this storm. It is a killer. It is gonna slam up the midwest into the mountains and destroy many lives. I just want you all to know, for me anyways, it isn't about the birds, it isn't about the region, it is about luck and the grace of God. I have been blessed through all of this. I pray for the safety of all, man and beast. Judy, I know you live up there but are out of the area. Please let me know you are ok.
As much as we get bad weather sometimes, it is usually no worse than other areas that deal with their own demons. I would never want to live anywhere else than here. I hope to live here till I die...(at age 120 please, in my sleep with a chicken on my lap.
peace out wink
Sally

and Loren, you are so right....there were so many helping others it was hard to feel bad about the situations. I had friends come many, many miles to help me with roofs, fences down and flooded pens when they themselves had many worries of their own.

#67354 - 09/16/04 07:01 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

hiya... just checking in here from Marion County, Fla. We got whack-wolloped up here by Frances - lost power and the roof off my chicken house (they were all in the garage much to my husband's absolute delight - not!) & a mess of shingles and some trees (one *just* missed my car!)

Power's back on, coop's repaired, birds seem to have forgotten their stresses, bunnies are acting like nothing happened, cable came back on and i got to check who remembers how many days worth of mail --- AND --- we found our land and should be moving in January/February! WOOT~

To those of you still in harm's way from Ivan, my thoughts are with you... we're keeping a wary eye on Jeanne now. Will this season never calm down??

#67355 - 09/17/04 09:59 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Cool2Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
Its so hard to hear that these storms are coming one after another there is two more tropical sotrms in the Atlantic. I live in southern Ohio and we have had rain every weekend from the remnatnts of Francis and Ivan right know our creaks are up and we are under flash flood watches all day. Our power has flickerd but never went out. And its funny to watch but I couldent get my goat to walk trough the flooded barn to get on the Milk stand this morning but through it all this rain is really helping the land up here. My prays go out to the families in Florda.

Cool2Chickens
http://bluerunbantams.webs.com/

#67356 - 09/27/04 10:16 AM Re: Florida Poultry
Coop Keeper

How is everyone? Praying Jean didn't hurt as bad as it looks!I have been thinking of all of you and hope things get back to normal for all of you soon.If you need some help with restocking birds just send us the word many of us will help.Best wishes PattiAnn

#67357 - 09/27/04 12:08 PM Re: Florida Poultry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wander here -- we didn't blow away wink

We lost the roof on our coop again (so much for new and improved) but the birds were in the house so nobody got hurt.

the people house has some damage too -- mainly shingles we're finding out now that we've moved the branches that fell on the roof.

Anybody hear from Sally yet?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn