Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67378 - 01/17/07 11:48 PM Are you ready for Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just read a newsletter from Pharo Cattle Co. of Eastern Colorado. They received two 30" snows and a 10" plus seventy mile per hour winds and huge drifts and no power.

More and more, we seem to be moving into a period of uncertainty. Having chickens, pigs, goats, sheep, rabbits and a garden is making more and more sense.

We put in a soapstone fireplace last year and have saved something like four hundred dollars off our power bill in Idaho, which has the cheapest power costs in the nation. With our power going off all winter with nuts hitting our power poles, it has really been nice not to have just one power source.

We try to be one jump ahead of a storm. We fill the spa with emergency water, stack extra hay by the pens, buy three weeks grain in town, filled a huge wood box in the garage and keep a well stocked pantry. I keep at least three weather maps bookmarked on by browser and because I read the weather advice for January in Sheep Magazine, I stocked up and was prepaired. Sheep people have to lamb in this weather. How prepaired are you?

#67379 - 01/18/07 12:18 AM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
We had so much blurb bombarding us about Bird Flu last winter that we stocked up on 3 weeks supply of emergency rations which we rotated for some months. When it all quietened down with health officials and govt. alike, it was hard not to think that it was all a big hoax like the so called millenium bug. We do get migrating birds such as the Arctic Tern which comes all the way down from Siberia via Indian and Asian continents so it was easy to imagine that bird flu was a threat and we should be prepared. Easy to get Blasť about it though.

#67380 - 01/18/07 08:45 AM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Foehn, around here so many people do not stock up that you have to buy extra not just for the weather, but for a one or two week period of the only good feed store being out of stock on many items and chicken feed is always short for some reason.

We have the desert state of Nevada below us and all of northern NV comes up here in big trucks to stock up on everything from groceries, which are cheaper, to feed supplies, which are cheaper. Idaho is irrigated from summer snow run off.

#67381 - 01/18/07 12:32 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
No...my feestore is running out of feed. Apparently the trucks can't make it to the mill. It's kind of scary because it's not like I can just let the birds out to try to find something to eat. All the food is covered in ice! Soon to be covered with snow. This is one of the worst winters I've seen in awhile...

#67382 - 01/18/07 10:11 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
I keep a close eye on the weather reports this time of year. We have an old horse that needs blanketed when the weather is going to be bad. I like to stock up on feed and supplies if they are predicting snow, ice or frigid cold. Not only in case I can't get out but it's just a lot easier to deal with all that when the temperatures are a little more moderate. It is definately something to be aware of depending on where you live. The more rural you are the more important it is to stay a step ahead of the weather.

#67383 - 01/19/07 12:10 AM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fowl lover I hear you. I have an own daughter of Watch Jo Jack that is 34, blanketed and I have special alfalfa hay stuck everywhere, in the garage, in the wood shed (Nancy and I built a 12x12 shed on a cement slab and lifted the walls with gate hindges screwed into the ceils, wire and hooks on our front end loader, $800).

My feedstore has huge warehouses and RR track by them. They invented the feed for rainbow trout (we raise 80% of the US trout supply) and keep cattle etc. soy, corn, barley we raise most of the barley for Coor's Beer, etc. So we have the grain already here, it is just the demand of two states on what they produce that is such a problem here.

My daughter has managed grocery stores and built them in CA that sell over a million dollars a day in feed for humans. Some have facilities to receive four semis at a time and storage for one or two days. A one week snow storm would mean LA would be out of food for two weeks and if the food like veges and fruit was lost, they are out for the year. Supply and Demand in the US is critical and you had better "Play the Bell Curve."

I think and hope a lot of us will view the situation differently in the future. Perhaps this is a disaster drill getting us ready to handle something else.

#67384 - 01/20/07 06:58 AM Re: Are you ready for Snow
NW Chix Offline
Chicken

Loc: Washington
If you have enough storage space and can keep the varmints out, stocking up on feed should be relatively easy. The bigger issue is water, I think. We were out of power for two and a half days after the windstorms, luckier than many. We made a point of filling the horse troughs before the storm hit, so we were fine there for a few days. Fortunately our pump had enough pressure to provide water for the chickens and ourselves during that time, but our neighbors were out of water. We do have water stored in the basement to flush the toilets, but really no potable water save for a case of bottled water. You're right, the experience was enough to make us think about worse situations. I don't know what we would have done if our power was out longer and the pump no longer worked.

#67385 - 01/21/07 12:06 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
NTW58 Offline
Chick

Loc: Tennessee
Snow is something that you watch on TV and go WOW!
around here in Tennessee. I would like to see snow but it keeps going around us. Some day it will hit here and I hope we are ready as ya'll out there, but 1/2 inch stops everything here.

#67386 - 01/21/07 08:41 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
We lost electricity for two days a couple years ago. We are on rural water not a well so were able to draw water. Went out hourly to break ice on horse tank and when it got thick we'd lift it out and refill. The birds got water a few times throughout the day, they mostly stayed inside and weren't very active. We keep lots of bottled water in the basement, rotate it periodically. Stock up on feed as much as possible when weather is going to be bad but I understand about storage. I have lots of mouse traps in feed storage areas as well as a few semi-useful cats. WAAK, how long have you owned your old girl? Did you show her?

#67387 - 01/25/07 10:22 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

How many times a day do chickens need to drink?

Horses and cattle in the 1800's were driven to water once a day for sure and if they had the time, twice.

#67388 - 01/25/07 10:33 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fowel Lover - we bought her about five years ago as a brood mare and tried all one summer to breed her to Zan Par Jack. The Lazy E did not ship semen on Jack so I asked to speak to the manager. He asked what the name of my mare was and then said, yes we will ship semen. She wasn't throwing a good enough egg. They were oval instead of round so we gave up and crossed her on our Paint stud and then lost the fetus at four months.

If we would have been successful, we would have been sitting here with an own grand daughter or daughter of Watch Jo Jack by Two Eyed Jack. I will never do artificial again. The shots to cycle two mares into heat at the same time is inhumaine. The vets don't seem to care, they just chase the money.

The Lazy E told me the greatest story on Hoss Cartwright if you would care to hear it, email me.

#67389 - 01/25/07 10:34 PM Re: Are you ready for Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, or grand son (on the above post)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn