Topic Options
#67408 - 03/21/07 12:42 PM Washing eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I know some don't wash eggs, but state law requires me to do so if I want to sell them. I was wondering if those who wash their eggs have any tips to share.

We increased our flock last summer and now I'm dealing with 3-4 dozen eggs a day. Scrubbing each one of them by hand was becoming a chore I dreaded. I finally broke down and ordered a REAL egg basket a couple of weeks ago. I was too cheap to spend the money before, but really, it isn't much money considering it should last for a long, long time. As I was checking out the sites who sell them, I started reading about the egg wash systems - a 5 gallon bucket and some egg wash powder, etc. I started thinking about it and decided to buy my own 5 gallon bucket and put a tablespoon or so of Oxyclean in there, then really hot water to dissolve it, then a squirt of soap and more warm water. I brought the eggs in and put the basket down in the bucket and walked away for ten minutes. I came back, put the basket in the sink and rinsed them off with the faucet sprayer and WOW, I was amazed at how clean they were with no scrubbing! I know for sure I put a few eggs in that basket that had sticky/dried egg on them due to a broken egg in one of the nests. That oxyclean just bubbled it away. It was GONE. Most of the poop spots (few and far between, but still....one of the more unpleasant parts of washing eggs) were pretty much gone. Out of about 40 eggs, I had to rub two of them with my hands, under some water, to get them looking perfect.

So, needless to say, I'm pretty darn happy with my new purchase of a standard egg basket and a plain plastic bucket! LOL! I added 30 minutes of free time to my day. wink

#67409 - 03/22/07 06:23 PM Re: Washing eggs
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
suzie--eggs are pourous--does that stuff get into the egg? and if so, is it GOOD for us? what do you know about it? if you soaked your eggs in warm h20, wouldn't the stuff go away w/ a little rubbing? i'm sure you've looked into it already, but what you've said makes me nervous! stay well--lmf

#67410 - 03/23/07 04:01 AM Re: Washing eggs
Coop Slave Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
not just porous, but very poruous. be careful how you wash them. hope some others that do practise washing can help you. I would be concerned with oxyclean. just me though.

#67411 - 03/23/07 05:29 AM Re: Washing eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

My eggs have to be washed, not just rinsed in hot water. I have to use soap. Is it good for you? I don't know either. But I know that I can use my soap, as well as the oxyclean, on food service items and it's safe with a rinse.

Oxyclean bubbles up when it comes in contact with something organic - the stuff stuck on the eggs, in this case. It's actually now being added to all sorts of dishwashing detergents and laundry soaps. Have you seen the "oxy" on newer bottles?

Once there was a guy on The Coop who said his state guy told him to wash the eggs in hot water with some bleach added. I'll take the oxy over that. Eggshells are porous, indeed. When the egg cools, it contracts and pulls stuff in through those tiny little holes. I am doubting it's pulling in soapy water when I wash them.

I'd be curious to know what the commercial industry uses to wash eggs. I'm betting it's something much more caustic.

#67412 - 03/23/07 05:58 AM Re: Washing eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Ok, you guys made me go do my research. LOL!

Here's what I found. Oxiclean contains sodium carbonate (ash) and sodium percarbonate (ash mixed with hydrogen peroxide). That acts as a bleach. I know, from a practical level of using it for years in laundry and other things, it also softens the water. So basically, it's a non-toxic, environmentally friendly, non-chlorine bleach and sanitizer. It breaks down to oxygen.

I found this on one website from a manufacturer of commercial products containing the same ingredients. Thought you might find it interesting. Is it still scary to you??

Sodium percarbonate (Synonyms: sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate, sodium carbonate peroxide, PCS) is a free-flowing powder with a common name of solid hydrogen peroxide, it is an addition compound of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Percarbonate has an active available oxygen content which is equivalent to 27.5% H2O2. It breaks down to oxygen, water and sodium carbonate upon decomposition. It's an environmentally safe bleaching agent.

Sodium Percarbonate offers many of the same functional benefits as liquid hydrogen peroxide. It dissolves into water rapidly to release oxygen and provides powerful cleaning, bleaching, stain removal and deodorizing capabilities. It has a wide range of applications in various cleaning products and detergent formulations including heavy duty laundry detergent, all fabric bleach, wood deck bleach, textile bleach and carpet cleaner. Other applications have been explored in personal care formulations, denture cleaners, pulp and paper bleaching process, and certain food bleaching applications. The product also has functions as disinfector for institutional and home applications, oxygen releasing agent in aquaculture, waste water treatment chemical, first-aid oxygen generating agent, etc.

#67413 - 03/23/07 08:34 AM Re: Washing eggs
J. Lehrer Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Do you oil the eggs when your done?

#67414 - 03/23/07 09:40 AM Re: Washing eggs
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
suzie--thanks for doing so much research. i'm reassured; would eat your eggs! lmf

#67415 - 03/23/07 10:35 AM Re: Washing eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

buckcreek - I have never oiled my eggs. Have you? I wouldn't know how to begin to do it, and if it involves carefully rubbing each one, I'd never take on the task. I am a lazy chicken-raiser! LOL!

Luisa - no problem. It was interesting to find out. I didn't have any concerns, but y'all lit a fire under me and made me look. That's always a good thing. wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn