Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67423 - 03/25/07 01:21 AM eggs as pet food
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
My hens are putting out so many eggs that I would like to replace store bought cat and dog food with hard boiled eggs. Does anyone have any information or experience with feeding pets hard boiled eggs?

#67424 - 03/25/07 02:22 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Yep, itīs a good "power food" for many pets. We feed eggs to our cats as well as our dogs. My wife has to fight for every egg that she wants to sell, I prefer to eat them myself and feed them to our animals because they are SO good. We feed them boiled as well as raw, no complaints from our pets until now;-)

Apropos raw eggs, have you tried to put the fresh yolk of an egg into your tumbler? Whiskey and eggs is a very good tasting combination;-)

Best greetings,

Joachim

#67425 - 03/25/07 05:14 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Altho the egg is touted as the most perfect food, it's not a complete diet.

I free choice feed so can't mix DE into the dog's feed. My dog likes her DE with a raw egg, in a separate bowl, and gets it daily. Of course, there's nothing like having a dog around if you accidently drop an egg on the kitchen floor and it breaks! -G-

Eggs enhance the flavor of the meat when fed to pigs.

I've given excess eggs raw to my flock of free roaming poultry. I throw them on the ground. Due to the hard shells, if the eggs don't hit a rock they don't break, they just roll. My birds won't touch a hole egg, so I have to go and break them with my foot.

I've also donated excess eggs to the food pantries that feed the less fortunate.

rogo16@yahoo.com

#67426 - 03/25/07 08:10 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Umm, yeah, our experience is if they (dogs) get too many eggs, they'll have some serious gas that will run you out of town! LOL!

I don't think it would be a complete diet. I think you could look up some info online about making your own pet food and incorporate eggs as a substantial ingredient probably. My guess is, it's too high in protein to be a whole diet.

#67427 - 03/25/07 08:56 AM Re: eggs as pet food
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
When I asked my Vet about eggs for my pets (they were getting them regularly), he said his information is that raw eggs (egg whites)are not good for a dog's gut, but are fine for cats. So, I switched my routine. For at least 14 years, my kitty sat by the fridge every morning waiting for her raw egg (bantam, but my present 13 year old cat does not eat ANY people food only dry cat foods, his loss, not mine) and my fridge always has a bowl of hardboiled eggs. Small dog gets a one or two a day chopped in his kibble. Neither of my pets gets canned dog or cat food, nor leftovers (there aren't any at my house!), but the dog does get fat trimmings from meat (not much of that either.) Like our own Drs., Vets have different information. CJR

#67428 - 03/25/07 09:46 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I've been told the same thing about raw egg whites for dogs, CJR. If I remember correctly, it's something about the raw white coating their intestines and making it hard for them to then absorb protein and other nutrients, or something along that line. But I've also read that it's okay occasionally. My dogs get a raw one here and there. My cats get quite a few though. One cat is sitting outside the barn door every day when I collect eggs, hoping for a treat! Usually it's clumsy me, breaking an egg while collecting them, so I'll open that barn door and toss it outside. It's funny how quickly pets pick up on the source of treats!

#67429 - 03/25/07 01:50 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Boobear7 Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: North Carolina
My pigs get raw eggs on a daily basis. I'll let you know if it improves the meat smile

#67430 - 03/25/07 01:53 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Interesting, thanks for this info! The difference between cats and dogs never came to my mind, but it makes sense. Just learned something new and thereby solved another mystery, cool!

Best greetings,

Joachim

#67431 - 03/25/07 05:59 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!
The reason I have chickens at all is because of one of my dogs. I have a 7 year old Siberian Husky with an immune mediated disease and he cannot tolerate animal proteins. We rotated different protein sources and found he could eat eggs! I use a vegetable pre-mix with human grade and organic ingredients to balance the diet properly. I never mix in raw eggs, but have fried, scrambled and hard cooked with fine results. We moniter his protein levels every three months and the results from his latest bloodwork is excellent. So I guess the answer to your question is a resounding "YES"!!! You can certainly give your dog hard cooked eggs! After over 2 years on this diet, he has never been healthier!

#67432 - 03/25/07 08:12 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Eating the whites only of the eggs can cause problems for humans as well as critters. One of which is their hair getting straw like. Biotin is only in the yolks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn