Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67433 - 03/25/07 10:06 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
We used to have a large British Blue cat that adored eggs so much he used to race me to the chook house when he heard a chook cackle. Many times I arrived in time to find him cleaning the egg off his whiskers, and on the ground would be the shell with a hole bitten through it. I think He learned what eggs were when he rolled one off the bench one day, thinking it was a pingpong ball. When it broke on the floor he cleaned it up and from then on he was a confirmed thug.

#67434 - 03/26/07 12:58 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Eggs to me were always texture but no taste -- until I started eating my hen's eggs raw. Discovered the turkey eggs were milder than the chook's eggs and also the nice improvement in my skin.

rogo16@yahoo.com

#67435 - 03/26/07 07:30 AM Re: eggs as pet food
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It is a matter of taste buds. Leee, who used to post on the Genetics line, always enjoyed his eggs raw! CJR

Now, store eggs are tasteless compared to well fed home grown eggs!

#67436 - 03/26/07 07:22 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I feed raw eggs to my dogs several days a week. I break one onto their food. (They eat kibble some days, and raw meat other days.)
Don't listen to what vets say without doing your own research. (Type in "BARF" - bones and raw food - in your search engine and you'll find TONS of information.) Most vets are really uninformed nutritionally. They can heal the sick and perform surgery, but most have never taken a nutrition course in their training. I know this because my husband works at a vet clinic (as a vet tech) and he knows many vets personally. He knows for a fact that they don't have training in nutrition. Out of the 9 vets he works with, only ONE has done research on his own to educate himself on pet nutrition.

#67437 - 03/27/07 05:03 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I did read up on the raw eggs for dogs and found it to be the prevailing opinion. Mine get plenty of hard boiled eggs. I am cooking eggs like that all the time to give back to my chickens, so I pop a few in the fridge for the dogs. My fur babies are definitely not egg-deprived. LOL!

#67438 - 03/29/07 08:55 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Chook Hilton Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
My sister had a dog that developed an itch flaky skin problem, and they discovered it was from starting to feed the dog raw eggs from the chook house... once they stopped feeding eggs he was fine, they thought it would be good for the dogs but obviously you need to watch out for allergies and other reactions.

#67439 - 03/29/07 09:50 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Dogs have had eggs in their diet for eons.

I've had dogs since I was born and never heard of any canine allergies until I got on these forums. But, my dog, large livestock, poultry and I take DE so it's not a problem. In fact, the horrendous allergy reactions I had to just about everything is why it was suggested to me to take DE. Those reactions are gone.

My dog takes 3 times the DE required so she doesn't have pain from arthritis and so she can walk and run normally. She gets a raw egg 3 times/day with the DE. Her skin is soft and supple and her fur shines.

BTW, many humans allergic to chook eggs can eat duck eggs.

#67440 - 04/07/07 03:34 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
I heard that raw eggs give Dogs and Cats a shiny coat. My Grandma gives her dog "Sam" a raw egg some times. JULIA

#67441 - 04/09/07 05:23 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Kathy W. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
My husband just spent a night in the hospital. They gave him (scrambled?) eggs in the morning. After trying to eat them he decided to wait for the wonderful eggs we have at home.

Each of my dogs get a raw egg with their morning meal Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My vet was concerned about the egg yolks and cholesterol ... I figure they are carnivores and ought to be able to handle animal fat. But I don't know if that is a problem.

My breeding bitch gets LOTS of eggs when she's lactating - but then they are cooked as a milk custard.

I also always boil the bones, backs, necks (etc.) of the birds I butcher for the dogs. When I have a dog which is off her food I give her chicken broth on it. Works every time.

Kathy

#67442 - 05/01/07 08:28 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Masufa Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oregon
Rogo, wahat is DE?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn