oceans and lakes. These plants inhabit all the waters
of the earth, and serve as the basic food for aquatic
life, just as grass is the basic food for land
animals.

#67444 - 05/01/07 10:29 PM Re: eggs as pet food
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Diatoms are are single-celled algae that do indeed inhabit the oceans and freshwater lakes. They are especially efficient in removing silica (SiO2)from seawater to make their shells, which are an amorphous from of silica similar to opal in crystalline structure. Some have made the claim that diatoms are responsible for putting 70% of the oxygen in our atmosphere as they are plants absorbing CO2 and releasing O2. Single-celled animals called "radiolarians" and some kinds of sponges secrete silica too. When diatoms and radiolarians die, they sink to the bottom of the sea (or lake) and accumilate in the sediment. Under areas of high biological productivity, where silica-secreting organisms are abundant, because of a high supply of silica & other nutrients in the water (from eroding rocks on land enriched in silica e.g. granites, rhyolites, etc), the silica shells of dead organisms rain down and form silica -rich "diatom ooze" (DE) and "radiolarian ooze." When these oozes become cemented and hardened into rock, they are called "diatomite" and "radiolarite." One of the best known diatomites is the Monterey Formation which is exposed along coastal regions of central and southern California. Many ancient cherts, silica rich rocks, originated in coastal waters rich in silica. Quartz is the mineral name for silica. Minerals. of course make up rocks. Other one-celled (and multi-cell)organisms make their shells of Calcium carbonate (CaCO3)--sea shells the mineral is called calcite (or aragonite as in a diffrent structure), the rock is called limestone (carbonates). I don't see any difference in eating quartz sand than eating diatamaceous earth-- it is all quartz. When I was in grad school in geology at the Univ of Missouri-Columbia, I complained to another student about him grinding up beautiful, large quartz crystals for his Master's thesis to study the coatings. He replied, "Chris, the whole ****ing crust of the world is composed of quartz (silica), get over it!" I can see why it is good for a chicken to eat quartz (serves the function of grit) as it has a hardness factor of 7 on Moh's mineral hardness scale (for reference diamond is hardest at 10 and talc is softest at 1; calcite is 3)-- quartz gives granite its hardness and takes millions of years to dissolve (my professor said 7 million years for a grain) & that's why the beaches are (in most places) more white-- everything else is dissolved except the quartz! BUT WHY WOULD A PERSON EAT QUARTZ? Eating quartz sand would be pretty much the same! Our bones (and a dog's bones) are made of Calcium phosphate (the mineral is "apatite" (Ca5PO4) -- Moh's hardness is a 5 for apatite). I give my chickens very fine (play) white quartz sand-- same thing- to play in and eat-- any difference??? (Sorry, not trying to offend anyone). There are other minerals in DE but very fine sand mixed with a little dirt (but much more quartz beach sand than the dirt) would be similar. I am no longer a geologist(micropaleaontology was my specialty--microscopic fossils like diatoms, conodonts, forams, radiolarians) though later, i went to law school and do that now. Again, please take no offense-- just informing-- again, why would anyone eat silica daily or feed it to your dog daily? It is silica rich dirt, tiny quartz? Chickens/birds yes, people/dogs, no. Chris

#67445 - 05/02/07 12:10 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Chris you sparked my curiosity over just what a microscopic diatom might look like and I came across this site from Nikon which has some clips of interest to poultry people. Chicken embryo, 60-70 hours old
and
Diatom

I found it easier to get a better idea of it by controlling the slide with the mouse pointer instead of letting the clip play.

There's also an interesting article from Smithsonian Magazine about diatoms. Gas guzzlers

#67446 - 05/02/07 03:12 AM Re: eggs as pet food
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
my dogs have always eaten loads of raw eggs with no ill effects. they steal their own. they prefer them rotten or with unhatched dead chicks in. when a hen is hatching they are always beside me waiting for the rejects. they never take on a hen on the nest. both dogs have learned to make a small hole in the egg and eat the egg from that without wasting it.they sometimes get huge amounts when there are high numbers of infertile eggs.

my landlords grandaughter brought up her little fat beagle one day and fed it till it was sick on eggs. but that didn't stop it from starting again, glad i wasn't in the car with it. i have never filled my dogs with eggs. i don't know if it is possible.

apart from the eggs they enjoy the poo. if we move along to the goats, the dogs like everything about them too from after birth onwards. one has outlived all her family (being pure bred curly coated retrievers) who were fussed over with everything they ate. luckily mine only got a year of it before she came to me.

as for vets!!! they make me see red.
k.

#67447 - 05/02/07 04:09 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Mau Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: United Kingdom
Egg white has some effect on destroying biotin.

I like the scotch and egg yolk idea.

#67448 - 05/02/07 03:35 PM Re: eggs as pet food
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
i can't bring myself to try it. even though i find it interesting and have plenty of both. so what does it taste like? do you pop the yolk in and pour the scotch on top or mix them together?
k.

#67449 - 05/02/07 04:39 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello;-)

Oh no, donīt mix them up!

I do it this way, I have seen it in an old B/W-movie;-) I open the egg on the rim of the tumbler, I seperate the eggwhite by pouring the yolk from eggshellhalf to eggshelhalf. The eggwhite I give to our cats, the yolk is still in an eggshellhalf. When the tumbler is filled with Wiskey (remember, the eggwhite is gone) I let the eggyolk slip into the fluid carefully and trara: ready for drinking.

I usually take 2 fingers high of, say Tullamore Dew and sip it at once. The yolk mixes in the mouth and tastes, well, hard to describe...you really need to try it;-) The best part is when you bite the yolk and the Whiskey mixes with the rich "eggtaste", itīs awesome;-) And it almost feels like a small "meal", really. 3 such "enriched" eggyolks can make you forget your hunger for quite some time. LOL!

Cheers!

Joachim

#67450 - 05/02/07 07:57 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Kathy said: I also always boil the bones, backs, necks (etc.) of the birds I butcher for the dogs. When I have a dog which is off her food I give her chicken broth on it. Works every time.

Eek. Do not give your dog cooked (boiled) bones. Dangerous. They can splinter. RAW bones only.

#67451 - 05/02/07 09:46 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Our dogs have received all the bones from every meal for decades. No other table scraps. Never had a problem. The dogs free choice feed dry kibble, so they don't wolf it down. They nibble periodically. Better for digestion. Due to eating this way, they don't wolf down the bones. They chew slowly.

The kibble has no BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, corn or soy. I can pronounce all the ingredients. Not a national brand. Made and only sold in the southwest.

The only raw food they will get is from what's slaughterd on my property. Wouldn't trust it from elsewhere. And I don't slaughter often. The vet treats the dogs to a warm meal when he castrates any livestock here.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn