Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67423 - 03/25/07 01:21 AM eggs as pet food
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
My hens are putting out so many eggs that I would like to replace store bought cat and dog food with hard boiled eggs. Does anyone have any information or experience with feeding pets hard boiled eggs?

#67424 - 03/25/07 02:22 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Yep, itīs a good "power food" for many pets. We feed eggs to our cats as well as our dogs. My wife has to fight for every egg that she wants to sell, I prefer to eat them myself and feed them to our animals because they are SO good. We feed them boiled as well as raw, no complaints from our pets until now;-)

Apropos raw eggs, have you tried to put the fresh yolk of an egg into your tumbler? Whiskey and eggs is a very good tasting combination;-)

Best greetings,

Joachim

#67425 - 03/25/07 05:14 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Altho the egg is touted as the most perfect food, it's not a complete diet.

I free choice feed so can't mix DE into the dog's feed. My dog likes her DE with a raw egg, in a separate bowl, and gets it daily. Of course, there's nothing like having a dog around if you accidently drop an egg on the kitchen floor and it breaks! -G-

Eggs enhance the flavor of the meat when fed to pigs.

I've given excess eggs raw to my flock of free roaming poultry. I throw them on the ground. Due to the hard shells, if the eggs don't hit a rock they don't break, they just roll. My birds won't touch a hole egg, so I have to go and break them with my foot.

I've also donated excess eggs to the food pantries that feed the less fortunate.

rogo16@yahoo.com

#67426 - 03/25/07 08:10 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Umm, yeah, our experience is if they (dogs) get too many eggs, they'll have some serious gas that will run you out of town! LOL!

I don't think it would be a complete diet. I think you could look up some info online about making your own pet food and incorporate eggs as a substantial ingredient probably. My guess is, it's too high in protein to be a whole diet.

#67427 - 03/25/07 08:56 AM Re: eggs as pet food
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
When I asked my Vet about eggs for my pets (they were getting them regularly), he said his information is that raw eggs (egg whites)are not good for a dog's gut, but are fine for cats. So, I switched my routine. For at least 14 years, my kitty sat by the fridge every morning waiting for her raw egg (bantam, but my present 13 year old cat does not eat ANY people food only dry cat foods, his loss, not mine) and my fridge always has a bowl of hardboiled eggs. Small dog gets a one or two a day chopped in his kibble. Neither of my pets gets canned dog or cat food, nor leftovers (there aren't any at my house!), but the dog does get fat trimmings from meat (not much of that either.) Like our own Drs., Vets have different information. CJR

#67428 - 03/25/07 09:46 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I've been told the same thing about raw egg whites for dogs, CJR. If I remember correctly, it's something about the raw white coating their intestines and making it hard for them to then absorb protein and other nutrients, or something along that line. But I've also read that it's okay occasionally. My dogs get a raw one here and there. My cats get quite a few though. One cat is sitting outside the barn door every day when I collect eggs, hoping for a treat! Usually it's clumsy me, breaking an egg while collecting them, so I'll open that barn door and toss it outside. It's funny how quickly pets pick up on the source of treats!

#67429 - 03/25/07 01:50 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Boobear7 Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: North Carolina
My pigs get raw eggs on a daily basis. I'll let you know if it improves the meat smile

#67430 - 03/25/07 01:53 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hello,

Interesting, thanks for this info! The difference between cats and dogs never came to my mind, but it makes sense. Just learned something new and thereby solved another mystery, cool!

Best greetings,

Joachim

#67431 - 03/25/07 05:59 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!
The reason I have chickens at all is because of one of my dogs. I have a 7 year old Siberian Husky with an immune mediated disease and he cannot tolerate animal proteins. We rotated different protein sources and found he could eat eggs! I use a vegetable pre-mix with human grade and organic ingredients to balance the diet properly. I never mix in raw eggs, but have fried, scrambled and hard cooked with fine results. We moniter his protein levels every three months and the results from his latest bloodwork is excellent. So I guess the answer to your question is a resounding "YES"!!! You can certainly give your dog hard cooked eggs! After over 2 years on this diet, he has never been healthier!

#67432 - 03/25/07 08:12 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Eating the whites only of the eggs can cause problems for humans as well as critters. One of which is their hair getting straw like. Biotin is only in the yolks.

#67433 - 03/25/07 10:06 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
We used to have a large British Blue cat that adored eggs so much he used to race me to the chook house when he heard a chook cackle. Many times I arrived in time to find him cleaning the egg off his whiskers, and on the ground would be the shell with a hole bitten through it. I think He learned what eggs were when he rolled one off the bench one day, thinking it was a pingpong ball. When it broke on the floor he cleaned it up and from then on he was a confirmed thug.

#67434 - 03/26/07 12:58 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Eggs to me were always texture but no taste -- until I started eating my hen's eggs raw. Discovered the turkey eggs were milder than the chook's eggs and also the nice improvement in my skin.

rogo16@yahoo.com

#67435 - 03/26/07 07:30 AM Re: eggs as pet food
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It is a matter of taste buds. Leee, who used to post on the Genetics line, always enjoyed his eggs raw! CJR

Now, store eggs are tasteless compared to well fed home grown eggs!

#67436 - 03/26/07 07:22 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I feed raw eggs to my dogs several days a week. I break one onto their food. (They eat kibble some days, and raw meat other days.)
Don't listen to what vets say without doing your own research. (Type in "BARF" - bones and raw food - in your search engine and you'll find TONS of information.) Most vets are really uninformed nutritionally. They can heal the sick and perform surgery, but most have never taken a nutrition course in their training. I know this because my husband works at a vet clinic (as a vet tech) and he knows many vets personally. He knows for a fact that they don't have training in nutrition. Out of the 9 vets he works with, only ONE has done research on his own to educate himself on pet nutrition.

#67437 - 03/27/07 05:03 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I did read up on the raw eggs for dogs and found it to be the prevailing opinion. Mine get plenty of hard boiled eggs. I am cooking eggs like that all the time to give back to my chickens, so I pop a few in the fridge for the dogs. My fur babies are definitely not egg-deprived. LOL!

#67438 - 03/29/07 08:55 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Chook Hilton Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
My sister had a dog that developed an itch flaky skin problem, and they discovered it was from starting to feed the dog raw eggs from the chook house... once they stopped feeding eggs he was fine, they thought it would be good for the dogs but obviously you need to watch out for allergies and other reactions.

#67439 - 03/29/07 09:50 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Dogs have had eggs in their diet for eons.

I've had dogs since I was born and never heard of any canine allergies until I got on these forums. But, my dog, large livestock, poultry and I take DE so it's not a problem. In fact, the horrendous allergy reactions I had to just about everything is why it was suggested to me to take DE. Those reactions are gone.

My dog takes 3 times the DE required so she doesn't have pain from arthritis and so she can walk and run normally. She gets a raw egg 3 times/day with the DE. Her skin is soft and supple and her fur shines.

BTW, many humans allergic to chook eggs can eat duck eggs.

#67440 - 04/07/07 03:34 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
I heard that raw eggs give Dogs and Cats a shiny coat. My Grandma gives her dog "Sam" a raw egg some times. JULIA

#67441 - 04/09/07 05:23 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Kathy W. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
My husband just spent a night in the hospital. They gave him (scrambled?) eggs in the morning. After trying to eat them he decided to wait for the wonderful eggs we have at home.

Each of my dogs get a raw egg with their morning meal Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My vet was concerned about the egg yolks and cholesterol ... I figure they are carnivores and ought to be able to handle animal fat. But I don't know if that is a problem.

My breeding bitch gets LOTS of eggs when she's lactating - but then they are cooked as a milk custard.

I also always boil the bones, backs, necks (etc.) of the birds I butcher for the dogs. When I have a dog which is off her food I give her chicken broth on it. Works every time.

Kathy

#67442 - 05/01/07 08:28 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Masufa Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oregon
Rogo, wahat is DE?

#67443 - 05/01/07 09:06 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

=== Rogo, wahat is DE? ===

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is fossilized plants from the
oceans and lakes. These plants inhabit all the waters
of the earth, and serve as the basic food for aquatic
life, just as grass is the basic food for land
animals.

#67444 - 05/01/07 10:29 PM Re: eggs as pet food
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Diatoms are are single-celled algae that do indeed inhabit the oceans and freshwater lakes. They are especially efficient in removing silica (SiO2)from seawater to make their shells, which are an amorphous from of silica similar to opal in crystalline structure. Some have made the claim that diatoms are responsible for putting 70% of the oxygen in our atmosphere as they are plants absorbing CO2 and releasing O2. Single-celled animals called "radiolarians" and some kinds of sponges secrete silica too. When diatoms and radiolarians die, they sink to the bottom of the sea (or lake) and accumilate in the sediment. Under areas of high biological productivity, where silica-secreting organisms are abundant, because of a high supply of silica & other nutrients in the water (from eroding rocks on land enriched in silica e.g. granites, rhyolites, etc), the silica shells of dead organisms rain down and form silica -rich "diatom ooze" (DE) and "radiolarian ooze." When these oozes become cemented and hardened into rock, they are called "diatomite" and "radiolarite." One of the best known diatomites is the Monterey Formation which is exposed along coastal regions of central and southern California. Many ancient cherts, silica rich rocks, originated in coastal waters rich in silica. Quartz is the mineral name for silica. Minerals. of course make up rocks. Other one-celled (and multi-cell)organisms make their shells of Calcium carbonate (CaCO3)--sea shells the mineral is called calcite (or aragonite as in a diffrent structure), the rock is called limestone (carbonates). I don't see any difference in eating quartz sand than eating diatamaceous earth-- it is all quartz. When I was in grad school in geology at the Univ of Missouri-Columbia, I complained to another student about him grinding up beautiful, large quartz crystals for his Master's thesis to study the coatings. He replied, "Chris, the whole ****ing crust of the world is composed of quartz (silica), get over it!" I can see why it is good for a chicken to eat quartz (serves the function of grit) as it has a hardness factor of 7 on Moh's mineral hardness scale (for reference diamond is hardest at 10 and talc is softest at 1; calcite is 3)-- quartz gives granite its hardness and takes millions of years to dissolve (my professor said 7 million years for a grain) & that's why the beaches are (in most places) more white-- everything else is dissolved except the quartz! BUT WHY WOULD A PERSON EAT QUARTZ? Eating quartz sand would be pretty much the same! Our bones (and a dog's bones) are made of Calcium phosphate (the mineral is "apatite" (Ca5PO4) -- Moh's hardness is a 5 for apatite). I give my chickens very fine (play) white quartz sand-- same thing- to play in and eat-- any difference??? (Sorry, not trying to offend anyone). There are other minerals in DE but very fine sand mixed with a little dirt (but much more quartz beach sand than the dirt) would be similar. I am no longer a geologist(micropaleaontology was my specialty--microscopic fossils like diatoms, conodonts, forams, radiolarians) though later, i went to law school and do that now. Again, please take no offense-- just informing-- again, why would anyone eat silica daily or feed it to your dog daily? It is silica rich dirt, tiny quartz? Chickens/birds yes, people/dogs, no. Chris

#67445 - 05/02/07 12:10 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Chris you sparked my curiosity over just what a microscopic diatom might look like and I came across this site from Nikon which has some clips of interest to poultry people. Chicken embryo, 60-70 hours old
and
Diatom

I found it easier to get a better idea of it by controlling the slide with the mouse pointer instead of letting the clip play.

There's also an interesting article from Smithsonian Magazine about diatoms. Gas guzzlers

#67446 - 05/02/07 03:12 AM Re: eggs as pet food
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

my dogs have always eaten loads of raw eggs with no ill effects. they steal their own. they prefer them rotten or with unhatched dead chicks in. when a hen is hatching they are always beside me waiting for the rejects. they never take on a hen on the nest. both dogs have learned to make a small hole in the egg and eat the egg from that without wasting it.they sometimes get huge amounts when there are high numbers of infertile eggs.

my landlords grandaughter brought up her little fat beagle one day and fed it till it was sick on eggs. but that didn't stop it from starting again, glad i wasn't in the car with it. i have never filled my dogs with eggs. i don't know if it is possible.

apart from the eggs they enjoy the poo. if we move along to the goats, the dogs like everything about them too from after birth onwards. one has outlived all her family (being pure bred curly coated retrievers) who were fussed over with everything they ate. luckily mine only got a year of it before she came to me.

as for vets!!! they make me see red.
k.

#67447 - 05/02/07 04:09 AM Re: eggs as pet food
Mau Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: United Kingdom
Egg white has some effect on destroying biotin.

I like the scotch and egg yolk idea.

#67448 - 05/02/07 03:35 PM Re: eggs as pet food
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

i can't bring myself to try it. even though i find it interesting and have plenty of both. so what does it taste like? do you pop the yolk in and pour the scotch on top or mix them together?
k.

#67449 - 05/02/07 04:39 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hello;-)

Oh no, donīt mix them up!

I do it this way, I have seen it in an old B/W-movie;-) I open the egg on the rim of the tumbler, I seperate the eggwhite by pouring the yolk from eggshellhalf to eggshelhalf. The eggwhite I give to our cats, the yolk is still in an eggshellhalf. When the tumbler is filled with Wiskey (remember, the eggwhite is gone) I let the eggyolk slip into the fluid carefully and trara: ready for drinking.

I usually take 2 fingers high of, say Tullamore Dew and sip it at once. The yolk mixes in the mouth and tastes, well, hard to describe...you really need to try it;-) The best part is when you bite the yolk and the Whiskey mixes with the rich "eggtaste", itīs awesome;-) And it almost feels like a small "meal", really. 3 such "enriched" eggyolks can make you forget your hunger for quite some time. LOL!

Cheers!

Joachim

#67450 - 05/02/07 07:57 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Kathy said: I also always boil the bones, backs, necks (etc.) of the birds I butcher for the dogs. When I have a dog which is off her food I give her chicken broth on it. Works every time.

Eek. Do not give your dog cooked (boiled) bones. Dangerous. They can splinter. RAW bones only.

#67451 - 05/02/07 09:46 PM Re: eggs as pet food
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Our dogs have received all the bones from every meal for decades. No other table scraps. Never had a problem. The dogs free choice feed dry kibble, so they don't wolf it down. They nibble periodically. Better for digestion. Due to eating this way, they don't wolf down the bones. They chew slowly.

The kibble has no BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, corn or soy. I can pronounce all the ingredients. Not a national brand. Made and only sold in the southwest.

The only raw food they will get is from what's slaughterd on my property. Wouldn't trust it from elsewhere. And I don't slaughter often. The vet treats the dogs to a warm meal when he castrates any livestock here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn