Topic Options
#67607 - 10/20/05 02:07 PM YIKES! A close one! :o(
Tracy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
I am fresh from a HUGE scare!!! Finished up filling the feeders and such. The birds were let out to free range because the sun was shining this Fall day!

My 9 yr old wanted to let her little cochin bantam stretch his legs and the same for my little black frizzle cochin girl, in one of our spare chain link dog runs (no cover over top).

They were sooooo happy to scratch around on the grass! I watched them for about 10 mins then decided I should do a little coop cleaning, so off we went.

About 5 mins later I hear the little rooster freaking, and was going to ignore thinking may be the hen didn't want his advances thus the noise. Then I heard it again and something said "get over there" so I began to run over across the field to the chainlink run, and to my horror there was a huge hawk sitting on top of my black frizzle bantam girl!!! My daughter comes running and screams enough to freak the hawk and us all.

I gently talk to my little frizzle hoping she is alive and pick her up ever so carefully in case she is badly injured, not wanting to put her into shock. I took her to the house to a cage I keep with clean shavings in case of emergency. Then focus my attention on rounding up all the birds I had let out to range. Knowing that the hawk WILL be back! And I might add the hawk was sitting on the top of the chain link run watching when I returned.

After a mad dash chasing down birds to pen them. All are tucked away safe!

It was also brought to my attention by my daughter that one of my pens (young rooster pen) had a HUGE hole in the wire where I presume a coon had ripped the wire hoping for a chicken dinner last night. (ALL were safely locked in their house) So for now I had to close off access to the pen and decide where to go with these fellas.

TWO close calls in one day! YIKES!

I am observing my frizzle girl in the house right now. She seems okay except for a little blood on her comb and waddles. Hopefully she will be ok. VERY SCARY experience!!!

#67608 - 10/20/05 02:40 PM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Check her entire body for puncture holes! Especially on the torso as this is probably where the hawk would sink his talons first to catch her!

#67609 - 10/20/05 03:52 PM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Tracy Offline
Chicken

My little hen seems to be just fine. Thank goodness!

Chalk 1 up for The Chickens & 0 for The Hawks! wink

#67610 - 10/20/05 07:33 PM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank goodness. That must of been such a scare.

I would suggest covering your runs so that your birds can range safely without fear of Hawks.

#67611 - 10/21/05 08:26 AM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Tracy Offline
Chicken

Actually my main pens ARE covered with wire on top. The pen I had her in was a "temporary" pen that we don't use daily. It has a nice growth of grass so I thought it would be nice to let her and my daughters rooster "graze" a little while I did work in the poultry area.

I guess we have hungry predators now it is getting cooler!

No more free ranging (or using that temporary pen). I'm not willing to take any chances!

Thanks for your concern. smile

#67612 - 10/21/05 07:46 PM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow first time doing it and you have a Hawk go after one of them.

We have a lot of Birds of Prey here in our area. Hawks and Eagles. You can usually see one or two a day Circling in the sky and sometimes you can hear their cries.

After having a Hawk go for one of my Chickens (They ran for it and it missed)a few months ago I haven't had the guts to allow them to free range again...

#67613 - 10/26/05 02:02 PM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Tracy Offline
Chicken

Well good news! The little frizzle cochin hen is just fine. She is as cute and happy as ever.
I never realized how much I cared about that little hen until this near miss. They sure sneak into your heart! smile

I can't wait to Spring when we'll be hatching some little ones from her.

Oh yeah, I haven't let any of the chickens freerange since! Though the turkeys seem safe enough from hawks. (I hope)

#67614 - 10/26/05 08:07 PM Re: YIKES! A close one! :o(
Chook Hilton Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
Well I'm glad I read of your experience because I'm almost finished building a new extension to my chook run (for daytime grazing), and wasn't planning on putting netting over the top... but now I'll do so because I've seen a few prey birds around here during the day, not worth the risk of losing my girls.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn