Topic Options
#67666 - 08/22/06 12:26 PM laying age
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have americana pullets that i got as chicks in may and i was just wandering when they will start to lay

#67667 - 08/22/06 02:03 PM Re: laying age
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
They will lay when they are mature. Listen for a change of voice, to a "singing" and in a week or two after that, the first eggs will appear--(probably another month for large birds-bantams and "production" pullets, usually lay earlier than heavier breeds.) CJR

#67668 - 08/22/06 05:11 PM Re: laying age
Mumbles Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
My Bantams all started laying at 5-1/2 to 6 months old.

#67669 - 08/22/06 06:21 PM Re: laying age
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
My Ameraucanas started at 22 weeks. I have 10 breeds all the same age and interesting to note that though all eggs are all still on the small side, the Ameraucanas are laying the largest eggs by far.

#67670 - 08/22/06 10:03 PM Re: laying age
Twin Oaks Farm Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Louisiana
Wyattdogster, have you found your Ameraucanas to be more timid and flighty than the other breeds? My 6 (they are the youngest (June 1) of my 41- still by themselves on the back porch) seem to panic easily. Is this just mine or is the breed like that? They are beautiful girls, but I worry about them when they graduate to the coop. Everyone else is doing well at getting along.

#67671 - 08/23/06 05:45 AM Re: laying age
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
Twin, I have 5 that are 6 1/2 months now and 1 that is 2 years. When they were younger they were a bit nervous but now they are all calm, not flighty, of strong character (if you can say that about a chicken!) but fairly indifferent about human interaction. Except for one. She follows us around like a puppy, loves to be held, seems to almost beg for it from my daughter! All of the Sussex are like that, trip over them constantly! I wonder if yours being the youngest may be a target when you move them out but mine are never picked on. It is amazing to see the different characteristics among the breeds as a whole and then within the breeds there can be a world of difference. The 4 Hamburgs are all flighty, panicky, fast as lightning little girls and want NOTHING to do with us.

#67672 - 08/23/06 02:11 PM Re: laying age
Twin Oaks Farm Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Louisiana
Well, I'm glad to hear they eventually calm down. They not only don't want to look at us, they don't want to be picked up or anything else. The other breeds I raised from peeps were very interactive and not frightened by our handling them. Even feeding and watering, done at least twice daily, seem to stress them out. They all run to one corner and pile on top of each other. If the pen were tall enough, they would be six high! Although, my hubby does take one or two out at times and they do sit quietly on his lap as he talks to them very softly. So, there's hope. I think I'd better start putting them in a little enclosure next to (but fully protected from) the others during the day, so that I can ever so slowly start the integration process with these. If it doesn't work out, they'll just have their own quarters. I'm not going to let them get hurt physically or be miserable all the time.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn