Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67779 - 01/19/07 12:46 PM Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Which is best for meat and eggs or should I try both? I live in Idaho and have cold winters; both seem to lay right thru cold weather.

I am thinking of purchasing four each of the following to get started: Buff Rocks, Partridge Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Red Star and Pearl White Leghorns. I have numerous coyotes and hawks of all sizes cruzing past my place almost daily. I guess if I'm going to free range I will be forced to have a skid house setup. Some of these above breeds are active enough to escape some danger and some are too laid back and heavy. I was going to pen and pasture differently for each type.

What do you think of owner's that put up flimsy coops and then scream that their neighbor's dogs are a problem? Isn't it up to us to keep our stock safe by building something strong enough to stop everything short of a bear?

Have any of you ever penned hogs in with your chickens? I have read articles that state the pigs will take care of many smaller preditors at night.

#67780 - 01/19/07 01:18 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Personally. I am more angry with the dogs. It is the owners' responsibility to keep their dogs from getting into MY chicken pens. If they can't keep THEIR dogs away from MY birds and MY pens, THEIR dogs will be permenantly locked up. As long as THEIR dog is on MY property and disturbing MY birds, the dog is going to be gone...and I mean QUICK! I have good pens for my show birds, and some rickety pens for the layer crosses and meat birds. A loss of any of them is heartbreaking to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs, and I like most other people's dogs. We have a sign that states if a dog is messing with our chickens, they can claim the body at the trashcan.

As for the chickens, if you are getting Partridge Rocks, why not try the Buff Orpington's. That way, you can get the general idea of both breeds. I LOVE my speckled sussex hen. She passed away late last year. Red Stars Leghorns are excellent laying hens. I think you'll be happy with them all! Most have excellent foraging, meat and egg abilities. Good luck, they are fun!

#67781 - 01/19/07 02:13 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If you pen hogs and chickens, the hogs may kill and eat the chickens. Free range chickens take their chances if they get in the hog pen. CJR

#67782 - 01/19/07 02:19 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Speckled Hen Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Georgia
If you want predator guardians, try goats instead. A friend of mine houses the pygmy goats with the chickens in not-so-predator-proof housing. She never loses any.

#67783 - 01/19/07 02:23 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
I agree about the dogs. I keep my animals on my property. Everyone else needs to do the same. The dogs that killed my chickens were aggressive towards humans as well. The issues go beyond just our chickens, I have horses, dogs and cats that I don't want harrassed either. And I surely don't want to get bit myself. I am an animal lover but no matter what a persons address there are still property lines and lines of responsibility. My chickens free range and I shouldn't have to worry about what the neighbor is planning to do (or not do) with his dogs. And the law is on my side. The same applies to livestock. If a persons cow gets out on the road and someone gets in a car accident the owner of the cow can be charged and held responsible.

#67784 - 01/19/07 02:36 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

We do dog rescue and have one lab/pitbull cross that was dumped on us and is qaulified to visit in the hospital, which she has done for the last four years, visiting over 5,000 people. I think most of our dogs, given the chance, will kill my chickens.

So, I will need to build a $2,000 materials only chicken coop 20x10 cement floor, lazer leveled and J bolts to tie the wall sections down, metal sides and roof pretty much like a 12x12 woodshed that we built last thing last fall for our wood and I could back a bailer in there if I wanted.

That's a lot of money for a retired person to fork over for some eggs and fried chicken. (at 3,700 feet we have to boil our chicken for an hour before we fry it or it would never get done).

I think I see your point on the Buff's. There is enough similarity that just the Orp and the P. Rock would show me what to expect. Thanks.

I'm really jacked on the Speckled Sussex also. Someone mentioned tough meat from them, that is why I was going to use the shotgun approach instead of just going all Sussex, or Sussex, Red Star and Pearl White Leghorns.

I use to have demolition durby garbage burning out at our Texas Burn Barrel in Breckenridge, Texas. On the way out I carried a broom and would flip the rooster (Barred Rock cross with a game cock) several times until he backed off and went away. Then it was walk up quietly to the burn barrel and peak in and see if any civit sp cats were in there (small skunks). If you for got to look first it was like forgetting to shake your boots our for scorpions in the morning.

#67785 - 01/21/07 08:52 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
If the dogs are yours I think your feelings will be different if something happens. I've had two hens jump the fence into the dog yard and it didn't bode well for the hens. I was sick about it but not in the same way as when some careless dog owner thought his dogs had a right to kill my chickens. I love dog rescue organizations, wish I could do it myself. The real ill will is towards the owner, unfortunately the dogs have to be stopped one way or another.

I've heard the same on the speckled sussex--tough meat. Don't know anything bad about the other heavy breeds.

Sounds like a lot of work for you. Do you do it just because you enjoy it?

#67786 - 01/21/07 10:04 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

See, that's where the tables turn. If one of my dogs gets into one of the chicken pens, the dog is gone. If the chickens get out of the pen and the dog gets them, it was the chickens fault. I have done my best to predator proof and "fly-proof" the pens, but I tell you, one of the birds will ALWAYS find a way out and repeatedly get out. We've given up trying to keep one from getting out. There are no holes in the fence and the fence is 6 feet tall. It's her fault if she gets killed.

#67787 - 01/22/07 05:55 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I agree with everyone else. I'm a big dog lover. But no one else's dogs belong on MY property. I would NEVER allow my dogs on someone else's property.

#67788 - 01/22/07 07:36 PM Re: Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I agree too. I have 3 dogs. One is a house dog and supervised when outside in my FENCED yard. The other two stay out all the time, in a large fenced enclosure that has electric fence wire around it. I've been on the other side of that stick and had a dog shot by a cattle rancher. I learned my lesson and my dogs are absolutely secured. I owe that to my babies!

We have so many loose dogs around us though. So far so good, except for being obnoxious at times. They don't even look at my chickens when they pass by here. I think most have been exposed to various livestock, but I still worry about that pack mentality when they're running together like that. However, I don't think any of my neighbors would bat an eyelash at me doing whatever was necessary should one of them go after my birds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn