Topic Options
#67985 - 05/19/05 04:41 AM Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 4 Blk Cochin hens that insist they get to sleep in the nest boxes each night. I'm not sure I would really mind if they would get out sometime and get some fresh air. Every time for the last month or so when I visit the coop (At least 2 times daily) there they are setting on the nest. I knew they were broody but this is getting to me. I have removed the egges every day but some still insist on setting on nothing. For the last couple of days I have been pulling them out at lock down and putting them on the floor or on a roost perch, but the next morning finds them in the boxes again. mad

What do I do? Let them be, or continue to pull them out at night? confused

#67986 - 05/19/05 06:42 AM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
sounds like broody hens that want to set on eggs. are they still laying?

#67987 - 05/19/05 08:15 AM Re: Question about roosting hens.
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Look back at MANY posts about this! The only way to change their broodiness is to keep them from ANY place to set--bare floor, with food and water. Some people put them in wire cages, food, water, NO NESTING place!! In just a few days, usually, it will shake up the hormones and they will return to usual. May take 2 sessions They do not care if there are eggs there--they will stay on a nest for ???Don't be upset with them, they can't help it, it is not their decision--Mother Nature rules with chickens

CJR And I always add, People will pay$$$ for a good broody!

#67988 - 05/19/05 07:34 PM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

then my Hen must be worth a bunch. wink

#67989 - 05/20/05 11:54 AM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I would just let them set on 1 or 2 eggs to get it over with

#67990 - 05/23/05 10:56 AM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read rour responses Friday from home but couldn't remember my pass word from that PC. So, thank you! Also, I have been in a mojor battle with keeping my head above water. Getting older has it's advantages but one of them is "not" having less to do. Two kids, 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, big yard, new house, 34 chickens, 2.5 acre pain in the behind pond, I need not go on, I think you get the picture. smile

Mr magoo, I don't believe they are laying still.

Thanks CJR, I did not know it was possible to change them, nor did I think about it being there hormones keeping them on the nest.

I have a spare room in the shed next door so moved them into it. It was/is home to the newest arrivals to the "chickhead flock". The young PBR roos think they need to peck the cochin hens so I put one of my Blk Cochin roosters in to keep order. He's real dosile but one peck from the tough guy PBR roo got him sent accross the room on his tail feathers. Order seems to be restored as everyone was getting along yesterday on my visits. This will be their 4th day away from their normal digs and they have not layed an egg for me to see, unles they're being broken and consumed by the others. I'll wait a couple more days then bring them back to the new coop to see if they have changed. I' report back after I get them in the old digs.

CH

#67991 - 05/23/05 11:48 AM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

chickenhead:
I assume the pen they were put into had no nests nor nesting material and they didn't just spend four days sitting in a corner of the pen. If they have "broken up" they could go back to laying within a week or two. Their next clutch will not be as large as the last, they continue to get shorter as the growing season progresses so you can expect them to be broody again within a few weeks of beginning to lay.
When you put them back into the coop leave them for about an hour and check on them again. If they are back on the nests, you have to remove them and really break them up. I believe in the wire cage method as it is fast. Some will let them slowly break up and that's a choice you will have to make, whichever method is right for you.
James

#67992 - 05/23/05 02:01 PM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was the old coop they were raised in and has this years new chickens in it also. There are boxes, and material to scratch in but they spent most of the three days looking for a way out, pacing back and forth along the fence. It's a larger coop but is not as nice as the new one I built. I feel sorry for them but I think they were occupying the boxes in the new coop so often the other hens were laying elsewhere.

CH

#67993 - 06/12/05 01:09 PM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

i also have a broody hen right now. she just finished hatching a baby chick about 2 months ago and is at it again. every day she steels the other hen's egg after she lays it and sits on it until we remove it. we've looked into how to "break up" the broody so she'll stop, but everything says that it takes getting them completely away from all nesting materials and their warm place like putting them on a wire cage so the air keeps things cool. otherwise there's no knowing how long they'll be broody.

#67994 - 06/12/05 01:29 PM Re: Question about roosting hens.
Anonymous
Unregistered

so i read a previous forum about broody hens and someone had mentioned dousing them in water cuz they won't sit when wet. so i just went outside and sprayed my hen down with a spraybottle and it didnt take more than a minute before she went running out of the coup. i'm gonna keep it up for a few days and see if there's an improvement. it might be an easy break up for a broody hen!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn