Topic Options
#68279 - 03/19/04 08:18 PM Roosters Attacking Strange Things
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a handsome Brown Leghorn rooster named Rocky. A few months ago he decided that my husband was the enemy and he attacks him whenever he enters the run. We have also noticed that if my hubby is working outside the run, Rocky will attack him through the fencing if my hubby gets too close. Most recently we've noticed that he absolutely hates the cordless drill.

Well, today my 11 yr. old son and I were working on the addition to the run. We had taken a break and I decided it was the right time of day to let the chickens out to forage. It was a beautiful day with spring temps, sunshine and grass shoots coming up everywhere. Those were some happy chickens - they were having a spendid time! My son and I went back out to resume our work, which included using the cordless drill. (Yep, you know what's coming...) I went into the garage to fetch something while my son was drilling a new hole in a t-post. Suddenly he came in, near tears, with a bloody hand and a gouge in his leg. Rocky had attacked him! eek He said it was the drill - he'd gone for the drill and he didn't see it coming! Well needless to say, after cleaning out his wound I had to put all the chickens back in before we could get more done. However, upon entering the work area so we could herd the chickens back inside, we came upon an amusing sight- there was Rocky, puffed up like a porcupine and alternately attacking the motionless drill (the yellow monster) and dancing around it. My son said he was doing the victory dance! laugh

Anyone else have experiences with roos attacking inanimate objects or strange things?!

#68280 - 03/19/04 11:10 PM Re: Roosters Attacking Strange Things
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a good thing that rocky lives with you because if he lived with me it would be off with his head i don't keep mean roo's

#68281 - 03/20/04 06:08 AM Re: Roosters Attacking Strange Things
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gingit, your poor son; I hope his injuries weren't too bad and that he and your roo will still have a good relationship. That must have been quite a scare for him.

Since I've been using the blue laundry basket to jail my drake when he's too aggressive, if I pick it up to do laundry, he goes running. He doesn't react this way to the white laundry basket - (which I do not jail him in), so that tells me he can identify color. Toon hates being put in the slammer, and Rocky is disturbed by the drill -(I'd bet the sound). hmmm, might be an interesting experiment (if you have another drill/similar tool of different color) to see what Rocky does - (ie. reacting to color, shape, unusual object - or does the aggression begin after he's heard the sound it makes; I just like learning about their intelligence) p.s. want to borrow my laundry basket til you get the run done?lol

#68282 - 03/20/04 07:00 AM Re: Roosters Attacking Strange Things
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike,

Actually, Rocky has never shown any aggression except to my husband starting a few months ago and my husband never goes in the coop or run anyway. He's NEVER been aggressive with me or my two children. We should've remembered that he hates the drill and will be sure never to use it in an area that he is in again. If he ever does display aggression towards myself or my kids alone, I'm with you, he's a gonner!

And mare, thanks for your kind words - he's fine. smile Neither wound was deep. That's interesting about Toon and the different colored baskets. With the drill, it's definitely the sound. If I rev it (from outside the pen!), he perks up and goes on alert immediately! As I said above, we'll not do that again, and if he ever is aggressive towards me and the kids alone, I will get rid of him. He's young enough still to make a good stew! laugh

#68283 - 03/20/04 07:34 AM Re: Roosters Attacking Strange Things
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I can't say as I've ever had a roo attack me or my drill, but we desensitize the foals and young show horses to clipper sounds by hanging them next to their feed buckets (without the blades in) and let them run for awhile when they eat. It works well.
after a few days they have few or no more eebee geebies to the clippers (except ticklish spots LOL) That being said, I'm with Mike on this subject. I not only won't keep an aggressive rooster, I won't keep his get either. Your hubby may well get the upper hand (and you may spare your pet) if he were to go in with a broom or riding crop or even a hot shot to let him know, in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that ALL PEOPLE rule. It is harsh but so is death. Good luck. I hope you have a good outcome to this dilemma.
Sally

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn