Topic Options
#68451 - 10/02/06 08:37 PM Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs...
Simon V. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any evidence to suggest a significant difference in the nutritional value of fertile eggs vs the nutritional value of infertile eggs? Reason I ask is that I have recently separated out the roo I got from the last batch of eggs I hatched out and placed him with my 2nd coop of hens. Today is the first time I have noticed fertile eggs when I had fresh eggs for breaskfast. The eggs looked more yellow, had a better consistency, and seemed to have more flavour. In fact I really enjoyed my breakfast this morning (but I always enjoy fresh eggs on toast for breakfast smile ). I love keeping a roo with my girls anyway for lots of reasons but am wondering if there may be other, more tangible reasons for keeping a roo with your girls...

#68452 - 10/03/06 02:21 AM Re: Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs...
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Not according to the American Egg Board:

"Fertile Eggs

Eggs which can be incubated and developed into chicks. Fertile eggs are not more nutritious than nonfertile eggs, do not keep as well as nonfertile eggs and are more expensive to produce. Fertile eggs may contain a small amount of male hormone, but there are no known advantages."

All the egg yolks from my hens are deep orange, but it's not from being fertile - it's from free ranging and being able to eat grass/weeds/Bermuda hay.

#68453 - 10/03/06 02:30 AM Re: Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs...
Simon V. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Australia
*shrugs* egg board stuff is released to sell more (sterile) eggs lol

My birds are free ranged too. Their yolks were a nice rich colour but these seemed to be more rich. The only thing that has changed is they are now fertile.

#96921 - 06/12/11 09:40 AM Re: Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs... [Re: Simon V.]
0s1s Offline
New Egg

Loc: Arizona, Cochise, U.S.A.
Adelle Davis (Masters Degree in BioChemistry) said that fertile eggs are healthier than infertile chicken eggs because they have more lecithin in them. Now you know.

#96923 - 06/12/11 09:56 AM Re: Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs... [Re: 0s1s]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Welcome to the forum.

How much more lecithin can there be in one sperm cell ??? No health hazard with overdose ? smile

I'm convinced it was said as a joke, you just did not catch it.

I hope she will not begin to persuade people to 'milk' their roosters for edible sperm .

#96934 - 06/12/11 01:05 PM Re: Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs... [Re: Wieslaw]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Germany
How much more lecithin is it? In a homoeopathic potency?

#96946 - 06/12/11 10:56 PM Re: Nutrientional value of fertile eggs vs infertile eggs... [Re: Redcap]
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
Much as I hate to agree with the egg board, I think they're essentially right on this one.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn