Topic Options
#68455 - 08/17/05 07:25 AM survival skills
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
A 13 week old Speckled Sussex cockerel, after only the second day we allowed his cohort to fully free range, disappeared without a trace nine days ago. I suspected one of the older birds might have originally driven him off, but after he failed to return by the second night, I feared a predator must have got him by then. I didn't give up all hope for a couple days after that, but rationalized that it was one less cockerel I had to butcher. Yesterday evening, however, as I was filling up water buckets in our creek, I noticed another cockerel in a briar patch along the creek. I wasn't going to lose a second cockerel to the elements, but it took me twenty minutes of more to retrieve this bird. The briar patch and brush were getting the best of me, so only after I solicited the help of my wife did we succeed in capturing him. Returning this bird to the roost, I discovered that it was the lost cockerel. He had survived over a week on his own. His wattles were a bit dark, and he was hungry, but otherwise, he was in good shape. We have too many sussex cockerels, but I think this one may have earned continued preservation.

#68456 - 08/17/05 08:25 AM Re: survival skills
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Virginia
Now THAT'S Cool!

C

#68457 - 08/17/05 11:02 AM Re: survival skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

Survival skills indeed. it's neat that you were able to find him alive and well after him missing for nine days.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn