Topic Options
#68610 - 07/13/05 10:26 PM Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Friends,

Last night I heard a noise outside and to my dismay I saw a mother raccoon and her 4 babies up in a tree.

I decided to try and set my trap and see if I could nab me something.

In the morning I went out to check on my girls and found one of my 2 month old leghorn chicks was missing. STUPID RACCOONS!!!

I decided to go over to the trap to see if I had caught anything. The front was closed and something was moving around inside. I snuck up a little closer and check out what I caught:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/gallery/chickens-2/trap

---
Rob Ludlow
www.ProWebology.com www.reviewum.com www.Nifty-Stuff.com

#68611 - 07/14/05 04:07 AM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL! The beauty of live traps. I haven't had a chicken wander into the trap, but I do catch my cats from time to time....even if I bait with marshmallows. LOL!

#68612 - 07/14/05 08:21 AM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You are so very fortunate that the raccoon did not dismember her through the wire! Be sure to set it after the chickens are locked up safely for the night! (Raccoons with young will show up during the day, if food is short). So the chickens can also be at risk if they have no escape route. One was after my Silkies one early summer day--fortunately I was home--she did not get one--and the Silkies could not have escaped, if I had not been there. Another daytime raid took a valuable cock, through a wire covered run. Chicken wire is not much a deterrant to a hungry raccoon! I have a hard time making myself shoot one, but I have a neighbor who thrives on it--and took out a similar group from a tree in my yard, during the daytime--didn't see any signs of raccoon for a long time! Sometimes it has to be done. Good luck, CJR

#68613 - 07/14/05 08:21 AM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lol. To bad you didn't get the momma raccoon though. Those creatures have gotten 2 chickens out of me this past year, one was a chick it's first night out in a pen. frown I liked her too, she would sit on your shoulder.

#68614 - 07/14/05 09:11 AM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This actually happened in the morning. Right after I let them out the small one (who is just big enough to fit through a hole in the fence) went straight for the baited trap (baited with ham). He (I think he's a rooster) was only in there for a few minutes.

I'm going to try and set the trap again at night and use shrimp. Last time I tried it with shrimp I didn't have the cage secured and they yanked the cage all over the yard to get at the shrimp.

#68615 - 07/14/05 09:34 AM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Greta S. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: California
RACCOONS!!!! Boom... Boom Boom!!

that's my opinion of 'em! I have lost three gals (all some of my faves, of course) over the past year. It started with this really cute little white bantie cross-breed that I really liked... then a Maran pullet that I also liked, and finally, a few weeks ago, my favorite,
favorite Partridge Wyandotte pullet that I was going to breed frown frown . Sooo I went down to the gun shop and got some pistol ammo!!!!!!! Anyway, so sorry about your losses.

~Greta~

#68616 - 08/24/05 03:50 PM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

shoot the racoons

#68617 - 08/24/05 06:24 PM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Zuzy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts
Grr. Raccoons. I've lost far too many good chickens to them. We've caught about five over the years. Stupid things. Our yard is swarming with them.

#68618 - 08/30/05 07:23 PM Re: Raccoon Trapping! I caught something!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Move to Australia, we dont have the blighters or better still Tasmania, we don't even have foxes

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn