Topic Options
#68628 - 12/07/06 09:43 AM Adding Light and Molting
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
With winter upon us and daylight at a min. We have a timer to turn on the lights in the coop. Which is better adding a couple of hours of light at the end of the day or makin' the sun come up early? Or does it matter? Or split the diff and 1 hour on either end? Also, they are coming out of a molt and not laying that great anyways, so should I save the electricity (rates just went up, ouch! eek ) and wait awhile till they are laying better. These girls started laying in the winter (last year) and laid great straight thru. I tried to pick birds that were winter hardy. Should I expect eggs or kiss them goodbye till spring. Getting about 6-8 from 19 hens
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

#68629 - 12/07/06 10:27 AM Re: Adding Light and Molting
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Do you like to find your way to bed in the dark??? Add it in the morning--and set the time to turn it off during the day, if the birds do not need more light to be comfortably active. They may not get up much earlier, but that doesn't matter, it is the light that matters--just "light" has more influence on all of us, than you may realize. After molting, they may pick up laying again--not to worry, feed them well and "hens LAY", Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn