Topic Options
#68630 - 05/25/05 11:03 AM Araucana chicks pecking others tufts
Sdearmo Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
I have 9 araucana chicks, several with double tufts, that are 2 weeks old. Two of the chicks now have little stumps with a scab where their tufts used to be. I don't see evidence of any other pecking damage to these chicks or any of the others. Will these tufts grow back?

#68631 - 05/25/05 11:23 AM Re: Araucana chicks pecking others tufts
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The tufts will grow back, if the damage is not too deep. But it will not grow back if you do not separate the "peckers"! It is sometimes a dilemma for crested and tufted breeds. Be sure they have space, and you might offer some of their feed on the floor of their brooder--anything for diversion. CJR

#68632 - 05/26/05 06:48 AM Re: Araucana chicks pecking others tufts
JK Offline
Chick

Loc: Netherlands
hi there, i allways hang their favorite vegetables at a height that forces them to stretch and jump to be able to get this. this keeps them buisy and i didn't have any picking at each other anymore for the last few years. before it occured every year in one or more batches of my Brabanters.

#68633 - 05/29/05 10:53 AM Re: Araucana chicks pecking others tufts
Erin Dira Offline
Feather

Loc: North Carolina
I was just going to ask this same question! I have a polish tufted in with 11 other mixed hens, and a few like to peck at the tuft feathers on her head. Her head doesn't look too bad, but I'll keep an eye on it and look for who specifically is doing it to her. And even though we give them fresh grass, scratch corn, and send my twin 3-year-old boys on bug hunts for them, I'll try the idea of hanging some veggies. My flock is only 3 months old - will they outgrow doing this to her?

#68634 - 05/31/05 08:07 AM Re: Araucana chicks pecking others tufts
Erin Dira Offline
Feather

Loc: North Carolina
Me again. Yesterday the chickens stayed in because of a rainy day, and when I let them out in the afternoon I saw the polish's head looked worse. I guess they are pecking at her when they're bored. Can I put something on her head like vaseline, or do I need to separate her? Does it have to be all the time, or just when they're in the coop? How long will it take to heal?
Thanks for any help...

#68635 - 06/01/05 04:18 AM Re: Araucana chicks pecking others tufts
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Try Better Bitters from the pet shop. Worked for my Leghorn picking my Brahma's bum feathers and the wicker furniture.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn