Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68646 - 12/09/08 04:43 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Cockadoodledoo Offline
Chick

Loc: Australia
Regarding the Dry Ice -

Dry Ice is solidified Carbon Dioxide (CO2). The bubbles in 'Carbonated' drinks such as Coke/Fanta/Champagne etc. is Carbon Dioxide

CO2 is heavier than air, so if you put some dry ice in a waterproof tub (ie plastic not a cardboard box), it will fill the tub from the bottom up with CO2, displacing any Oxygen in the tub. If an animal was in the tub (it's head below the top edge of the tub), it would become light headed, faint and then pass away.

It would be wise to put a lid on, as if there was any flapping, it may blow some of the CO2 out.

This is a very humane and painless way to send an animal on it's way especially if you don't have a firearm.

#68647 - 12/09/08 05:38 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
Been thinking about the dry ice method. This is a form of suffocation and as such am not sure that this is truly a humane way to go about it. As Sunni says, just because there is no blood does not mean it is less traumatic to the bird. Suffocation is not a good way to go.

#68648 - 12/09/08 07:16 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Ryu Offline
Feather

Loc: Iowa
I have some experience working with animals in a research setting. There are actually very few methods of euthansia.

As far as chickens goes my list for the average owner would be:
1) Shooting chicken in head. #1 best method--if the person taking the shot can really hit the head.
2) Sedation followed by decapitation. Get a shot of sedative from the vet, and when the animal is out, decapitate.
3) CO2 suffocation. Dry ice isn't an acceptable source of CO2. You can get a small tank of CO2 from a welding supply store. 5 minutes followed by decapitation, or 10 minutes followed by 10 minutes of oberservation.

Hope that helps. Sorry for everyone's loss.

#68649 - 12/09/08 11:17 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Ryu Offline
Feather

Loc: Iowa

#68650 - 12/09/08 06:36 PM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Agree, except I've stuck my head into a CO2 tank, and it hurts. It's like you try to breathe, and whenever you do, your insides are being ripped apart. I will never do that to another animal.

The shooting thing--if you tie down the bird so that it can't move, you don't even have to aim. Put the barrel to the bird's head and pull the trigger. Unless you have a huge shotgun, in which case, well, we won't go there. A pellet is all that's really needed when the bird is tied down.

#68651 - 12/09/08 10:56 PM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Forgive me but I must ask. JRSY, I know that you use a high powered pellet gun, no gun powder, just compressed air.

Let's say the bird was restrained, wrapped in a towel or something. Then you placed the head against a solid background, wood block or the ground, and held the neck, immobilizing the head. So bird isn,t moving, you have one hand holding it's head down, if you put the muzzle point blank againt the bird's head and fired, what risk is there to the hand that is holding the bird?

Do these pellet guns have a kick back? Would the pellet glance off dense bone and enter your hand? Would they ricochet off the wood block and go flying around?

I think shooting in the head is an excellent choice but I could never just take random pot shots at a chicken as it ran around. I would want to get that muzzle right up against the head and how big a threat is it to my hand? Obviously if a person is careless, the risk is high. But if the bird is still, head against dirt or wood, would you use the pellet gun at point blank with your hand close by?

One last word about death by lack of oxygen. It is NOT pleasant. Ammonia, which displaces oxygen, kills in high concentrations. Hubby has worked in places where ammonia is the refrigerant and during a leak one time, he did not evacuate quickly enough and was knocked down by lack of oxygen. He was rescued and said it was incredibly painful as you get a pain at the base of your skull as if someone hit you as hard as they could with a baseball bat...then lights out. He remembers the pain.

#68652 - 12/10/08 04:44 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Cockadoodledoo Offline
Chick

Loc: Australia
I did some research about lack of Oxygen through CO2, and your right, it is not as humane as I supposed in a previous post. Lungs are apparently very sensitive to high levels of CO2, and this can lead to panic and pain ahead of death.

#68653 - 12/10/08 10:12 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I wouldn't use a wooden block behind the bird...ever. Too much risk of it ricocheting.

The bird is tied down. Nope...never hold the neck. Way too much danger in injuring yourself. Once a bird is immobile, they generally don't struggle. At least, my birds never do...especially when they are as far gone as the original poster's bird. You can put the barrel at the top of the bird's head, or at the side of the bird's head. Never use your hands for this. If you want to make sure the head is immobile. You can use a weight. Use a piece of yarn, wrapped around the weight, and then tied around the bird's neck...not so that the bird is hurting itself, but so that it is definitely immobile.

Uno...you never know..some people DO take pot-shots at chickens. It makes no sense to me?

Nope..BB guns/ pellet guns have no kickback, at least to me. Now...a .22, to me, has a kickback.

Don't worry about asking uno! That's what the forum is for! lol

#68654 - 12/10/08 10:28 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
I've found this to be a very helpful thread, as killing birds humanely is always a concern. The CO2 info was particularly enlightening.
One more option: we go out early in the morning before the birds are up, take the bird off the roost, knock it on the back of the head to render it unconscious, then take it out and decapitate it. It seems to me that this is about as humane as possible (maybe the same level as the shot to the head)? I suppose lethal injection would be humane too, but not a great idea if you want to eat it.

#68655 - 12/10/08 11:03 AM Re: Needed help putting my beloved rooster down
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I've seen a dog w/ lethal injection without any pain meds. It was not a pretty thing. I do agree...if given pain meds along with the euthanasia..then yes, it would be a good method.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn