Topic Options
#68731 - 05/25/08 10:15 PM When will the hen allow the rooster to breed her after being broody?
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
One of my hens that was broody is starting to "sing" so she'll probably start laying again soon. She layed her last egg 10 days ago on the 15th. I put her in a cage with no nest and broke up her broodyness.

I've decided I'd like to breed her to a different rooster than the one with her now.

Since she's not laying yet would she allow the rooster to breed her?

If I switch roosters now should I still wait at least 2 weeks before collecting eggs? That is 2 weeks after she starts laying again?

Karen

#68732 - 05/26/08 12:23 AM Re: When will the hen allow the rooster to breed her after being broody?
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
She can hold the semen from the first rooster for quite a while. The opinion of many is about three weeks, but I'm sure that varies depending on the hen. If she's receptive she will allow the rooster to breed, but I'd be inclined to wait until she's been laying about three weeks before collecting her eggs for hatching.

#68733 - 05/26/08 07:20 PM Re: When will the hen allow the rooster to breed her after being broody?
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

Different breeds behave differently. I have had some that will breed right away. Some can take a month before she lets the rooster mate with her. It's true that some can hold the semen for some time; but like any other things, they will go "bad" after a while; and I think the max is 2 weeks for an avg. rooster. Unless he is well feed with all the nutrients he can get, I wouldn't trust the eggs to be fertile anymore after 3 weeks since he first mated with her.

- Tommy

#68734 - 05/27/08 12:55 AM Re: When will the hen allow the rooster to breed her after being broody?
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

So far she and the rooster were ignorning each other although he chases the other hens.

Since she hasen't started laying yet I've gone ahead and placed her with the other rooster. It's in a different pen so she has some adjusting to do anyway.

The rooster I've place her with has enough good points that I want chicks from him, but has started attacking me. So I have him in with 3 hens and when I get enough hatching eggs he goes to the auction!

#68735 - 05/27/08 07:16 AM Re: When will the hen allow the rooster to breed her after being broody?
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Temperament is also inheritable, though not 100%.
What you get temperament-wise will also depend on what is inherited from the hen(s). Good luck!
1st John 5:11-12

#68736 - 05/27/08 01:35 PM Re: When will the hen allow the rooster to breed her after being broody?
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Yes temperament is a consideration too. I'll definitely keep an eye on the offsprings temperament.

This rooster is both nicely tufted, completely rumpless and has enough good points to take the risk. I'm not necessarry looking for a replacement cockerel, I'd be happy with a few rumpless tufted pullets.

Karen

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn