Topic Options
#68850 - 08/18/05 02:36 AM problem shipping eggs
RIR32 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Kentucky
has anyone had any problem shipping egg. i had someone ship some eggs last week and they were returned because they were mark perishable and fragile and were considered alive and can not be shipped.

#68851 - 08/18/05 05:09 AM Re: problem shipping eggs
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I sent some to NC with no problems and recieved some from Idaho last week.

#68852 - 08/18/05 07:08 AM Re: problem shipping eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Each PO follows postal regulations. "Live" (which I have not heard apply to hatching eggs) means that they must be deliverable from certain zips to other certain zips, by the 2nd day. This means that I cannot send bantams to some zips. I have to apply a few days ahead of shipping date and wait for permission to mail them and it is a "reservation". There are occasional zips that I CANNOT send to at all. This is because of airline connections--didn't used to be a problem--is a MAJOR problem now--I will be hatching very few chicks from now on!

This may be the problem you are having. Perhaps the eggs can be sent from a different PO. My PO would not ask if I sent eggs (I NEVER mail eggs), so unlabled, but sent priority mail, not marked Perishable, but Fragile--might be successful for this particular mailing. Good luck. CJR

#68853 - 08/18/05 10:37 AM Re: problem shipping eggs
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
How I send hatching eggs:
I do not mark anything on the box, but, I do insure it for $50 for 1-2 dozen. To collect, the carton must show visible damage. Just poor hatching or poorly packed eggs which are broken is not an insured risk. I have had very minimal problems; I think I shipped around 10-12 dozen and from those who bothered to contact me hatches were running at 50% and only 2 broken eggs total. I think we will see many more eggs being shipped due to the lives shipping difficulties.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn