Topic Options
#68902 - 10/24/06 11:05 AM What's the Difference Between NPIP and Pollorum Testing?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Hey, I've been trying to find a difference between the two, but there seems to be none other than the entire flock is examined with the NPIP, and only a few birds at a time are done with pollorum testing. Is that the only difference? How much does this usually cost? Do we have to NPIP test the meat pen as well? Geese? Parakeets? What if the flocks are kept separately from each other? I only want to show my Minorcas, and my Minorcas are in their breeding pens. They have already been pollorum tested. Do I still have to get ALL of my birds tested for an NPIP flock?

Thanks!
Mikaela

#68903 - 10/24/06 08:30 PM Re: What's the Difference Between NPIP and Pollorum Testing?
Chris Link Offline
Chicken

Loc: Missouri
to have a certified flock all birds are tested once a year .. you don't have to test waterfowl.. Chris

#68904 - 10/25/06 08:17 AM Re: What's the Difference Between NPIP and Pollorum Testing?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Yes, the National Poultry Improvement Program means that every bird (chicken, over 9 weeks old) is tested by the State Veterinarian, for Pullorum/Typhoid and if all are negative, the flock is Certified, with a number.

At Shows, Fairs, individual birds can be tested for entry requirements at the time of entry.

Charges are different for each State. Some are without cost, Montana charges for the Antigen (I had to order it, $65). Contact your State Livestock Dept. for information for your State. CJR

#68905 - 10/26/06 09:27 PM Re: What's the Difference Between NPIP and Pollorum Testing?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Alright, I have two gentlemen coming out to my house to test all of my birds. The Ag department isn't charging me for the testing, because I'm allowing them to test for AI and for Newcastle. (Load off of my mind!) I have to pay $5.00 for an annual fee. Hopefully, my certificate will be able to be sent out in time for the Shawnee show!

They said I have to get my waterfowl tested for pollorum, AI, and for Newcastle. So, I guess I'm alright with it. I'm sure all will test negative...but it's still unnerving at the same time!

#68906 - 10/28/06 06:46 PM Re: What's the Difference Between NPIP and Pollorum Testing?
Jim Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
npip testing is the same thing. if you do the npip you only have to test once a year instead of every 90 days. still cant figure out why people dont spend the 5 bucks for the certificate.

near as i can tell, everything but my pigeons has to be tested for p.t.. even the pigeons are to be tested for a.i..

mikeala, when the man gives you a copy of the p.t. test, make a few copies and send one with you entry. i asked if it was going to take them 3-4 months to send out certificates, they swear it will be a 7-10 day turn around. i will wait and see.

i am not the least bit nervous about them coming tuesday. if i have a problem i dont want to give it to everybody elses birds.

oh, one more thing. neither tester coming to my place is very experianced in testing poultry. we may have a problem!

#68907 - 10/28/06 07:51 PM Re: What's the Difference Between NPIP and Pollorum Testing?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
My tester ( a State Veterinarian)had never done the testing before mine. I have done it myself for some years (and the State Vet, who did not like to do i t, would come and inspect and approve the tests). So, SHE came with white coveralls, plastic boots, a pan to disinfect her boots, and her equipment. (I have all the equipment that the former State Vet gave me, the light boxes, needles, loop, etc., but we used hers,)

I held the birds for her to prick and collect the blood and place on the heated plates. She had no record sheet. I made my own, with the band numbers of every bird tested, and she didn't even ask for a copy. I had youngsters, too young to test and I recorded them, also.

I keep fresh cotton balls and apply pressure to each wing prick, to stop bleeding right away, no worry about leaving a bleeder in a pen. She was impressed with that! We stopped halfway through for tea, and had a good visit about Dutch Bantams, variety breeding, and other neat conversation.

In several weeks, I received books with carbon copies to send to the State for birds sold or transfered, but she had no ID for the birds that were tested and there is no place on the form even for my Certification number. It is a waste of their time, the way "records" would be kept--useless, actually. But I have conformed to the rules and have a Number, for birds I might show or sell for show.

Not a problem, if you share what you know with the tester, and are cooperative in every way. I still approve of the testing and certification, but just not the fact that they have no way of tracking any particular birds IF THEY NEEDED TO???? Actually, they do not need to!!

Not to worry, it is a good thing. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn