Topic Options
#68914 - 08/24/08 10:24 AM broody hen, but not fertilized eggs
Mirsetha Offline
New Egg

Loc: Indiana
Hi, I have a hen that is broody and we have no rooster, so of course it is all for not. Our nesting box is about 24 inches by 12 inches and when ever another hen comes in and lays an egg, she moves it over under herself. After about 4 days of this, I have started picking her up (getting pecked by the say) and letting her out to poop(not much) eat and drink. I take her eggs and she goes right back in and sits down in the nest. How long will this continue? I suppose it alright to eat the eggs she has been sitting on all day keeping warm? any advice is welcome. thank you in advance.

#68915 - 08/24/08 11:13 AM Re: broody hen, but not fertilized eggs
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Yes, the eggs will still be fine to eat--get them into the fridge to cool. She may try for some weeks, as long as she has a nice nest and eggs appear--she has no clue that they are not hers--just a hormonal, instinctive duty.

To terminate her broodiness, best to remove her from ANY nice nest--bare floor--and just food and water--this means a pen or other bare place. In just a few days she will change her mode, and can return to the coop. If she returns to a nest, it must be done again--a few days longer.

To leave her on the nest will cause her to lose weight and condition, and be a lot longer before she can resume laying again. Best to separate her now. Good luck, CJR

#68916 - 08/24/08 11:27 AM Re: broody hen, but not fertilized eggs
Mirsetha Offline
New Egg

Loc: Indiana
Thank you for the quick reply. I have removed her and hope to get her separated for a few days. PAL

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn